What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying Job Needed

brianwallis

VAF moderator
Hello everybody. I sold my precious RV-3 to pay for my multi/commercial/IFR as well as my KA350 (BE300) type rating. I'm looking hard for a flying job overseas. (AP/IA/TS/Single and Multi Commercial IFR/KA350(BE300) type rating) Please feel free to call me at 404 four oh fife won tree won fife or brianpwallis at hot mail dot com. 1054 TT, 933.5 PIC, Night 212.8, Multi 52.6 and 93.9 IFR. I've purchased enough block time to get me to 1000 PIC and working on it now. I am currently employed but looking hard for a flying job.
Best,
Brian Wallis

Sorry you had to sell your bird.
A few pieces of advice.

NEVER pay for type ratings. It is like pay to play. What ever company hires you should pay for those.

Do you have your 500 hours of cross country? If so, go find a local skydiving center and see if you can get a gig flying a Caravan, Twin Otter or King Air in jump ops.

You had an RV-3, so that automatically makes you a better pilot then most, and I would be happy to have hired you to fly our King Airs in Titusville Florida when I worked there.

Once you get the 1500 TT, hit the airlines. Yup, the regionals are gonna SUCK for a while, but, it will be worth it in the end.

Couple questions and I can guide you better or point you in the right direction of a drop zone.

How old are you and where do you live? Also, what are your long term career goals?

If your giving out advise KingAirNeal

I am not trying to over shadow Brian's request but I feel his pain.

I am going to be selling my Comanche very soon to pay for a few ratings as well. To help with my ambitions to fly for the airline soon. I just got my single commercial/instrument rating and will be going to get the multi rating very soon too. But I am going to sell my plane to help pay for my ratings and then find a great IFR RV-6/A or RV-7/A to build total time in too.

I have about 700 total time (Fix wing and rotor combined) and after I get my Multi rating I plan on finishing my CFI training to help build the hours as well.

To answer KingAirNeal question. I am 41 YOA and living Orlando and hope to find a job flying for the regionals once I get my time in. I currently work for the Sherriff's Office in the Aviation unit as a Flight Observer. I do get some Helo time but not enough to build a lot if time with quickly.

So any advise that Brian gets I will be watching to see if it will help my cause. I have a few friends that have pointed me in the direction of the Airlines and have sparked the desire to pursue it.

Good Luck Brian and hope you find something soon.

Got this in my email today.

I have no affiliation with the company or anything.

POSITION AVAILABLE: PILOT

An ISBAO registered, 14 CFR, Part 91 corporate operator in the Dominican Republic, operating "N" registered aircraft, is seeking one full time pilot for its fixed-wing and rotor-wing fleet. See minimum and preferred qualifications for more detail.

Initially, the position will be Line First Officer (SIC) Fixed-Wing with the ability to upgrade to Line Captain (PIC) in a time period based on previous experience and successful completion of initial operating experience.

The position is based along the Southern Coast of the Dominican Republic.
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience. Details of packages will be reviewed in more detail with final candidates.

Qualified candidates should send their r?sum? to [email protected].

Job Requirements

The Line First Officer/Second in Command (SIC) will assist the Line Captain (PIC) in the management of an assigned flight and will carry out duties as assigned by the PIC. The Line First Officer/Second in Command (PIC) reports to the Line Captain during the assigned flight operation.

a. Assisting the Line Captain with discharging operational and safety responsibilities

b. Providing excellent customer service to passengers

c. Actively participates in the Safety Management System (SMS)

d. Performing duties as assigned during flight preparation and in flight

e. Being prepared to assume the duties of the Line Captain in the event the he becomes incapacitated

f. Ensuring assigned flight is conducted safely and in compliance with all applicable FAA, IDAC, ICAO, and host country requirements, and within the aircraft manufacturer's limitations

g. Other duties as assigned by the Line Captain

Minimum Qualifications

Ability to Obtain FAA Type Rating in Company Aircraft Upon Hire (Company Provided)

FAA Commercial Fixed-Wing

2,500 Hours Total Time: 1,500 Hours Must be Fixed-Wing

500 Hours Total PIC

750 Hours Total Turbine Time: 250 Hours Must be Multi-Engine Jet (No Centerline Thrust Time Accepted)

Preferred Qualifications

FAA ATP Fixed-Wing

FAA Commercial Rotor-Wing

3,000 Hours Total Time: 2,500 Fixed-Wing / 500 Hours Rotor-Wing

1,000 Pilot In Command in Turbine Fixed-Wing

500 Hours Total Time in Turbine Rotor-Wing

I am not trying to over shadow Brian's request but I feel his pain.

I am going to be selling my Comanche very soon to pay for a few ratings as well. To help with my ambitions to fly for the airline soon. I just got my single commercial/instrument rating and will be going to get the multi rating very soon too. But I am going to sell my plane to help pay for my ratings and then find a great IFR RV-6/A or RV-7/A to build total time in too.

I have about 700 total time (Fix wing and rotor combined) and after I get my Multi rating I plan on finishing my CFI training to help build the hours as well.

To answer KingAirNeal question. I am 41 YOA and living Orlando and hope to find a job flying for the regionals once I get my time in. I currently work for the Sherriff's Office in the Aviation unit as a Flight Observer. I do get some Helo time but not enough to build a lot if time with quickly.

So any advise that Brian gets I will be watching to see if it will help my cause. I have a few friends that have pointed me in the direction of the Airlines and have sparked the desire to pursue it.

Good Luck Brian and hope you find something soon.

Look into the various drop zones around Florida. Make sure you also get your 500 x-c. Look into flying tours around Orlando in the R-44 as well. Total time is total time. But lean heavy on the fixed wing if the regionals is where you want to go.

Earlier this year a friend of mine got a job offer from Cape Air. He had a twin/commercial rating, but no jet.

They were so needy they were putting him through training to get him signed off. Unfortunately, he made an error in the simulator & had to go to the penalty box for 6 months.
My friend was semi-retired and was just doing this as a bucket list item as he always wanted to fly for the airlines.

I'm not sure what their needs are now, but here's the link to the original article at the time. It may be worth a look/see.
They had multiple routes & not just Montana as in the article.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Cape-Air-Cancels-Flights-Cites-Pilot-Shortage-225483-1.html

Last edited:
I spent a little time at the regionals (2012-2014) It wasn't bad. The pay is better now than it was then. It's not a bad option. Many regionals have programs to get you assistance meeting the flight time requirements. Also, take a look at flying cargo. It's tough work but they are in desperate need. Penn Air is expanding and also looking for people. There may be some options there. All the best!

Consider a Twin Comanche rather than Apache

Shameless Bump for Brian

From one A&P to another, go with a Twin Comanche rather than the Apache if you can. You will be glad you did.

Last edited:
Brian -

Have your looked at Avenge and L3? There are others doing the same kind of work.

Good luck.

I have :). Looking forward to hearing back from a certain recruiter in two days or so..... Super super close to 1000 PIC... Looking into a SIC program right now... It's hard to support a family on 30k a year.

Brian, if you're back in GA and still need some time, I'll trade ya some hours for help installing an MGL Extreme I picked up a while back from a fellow VAF'er :D

get the comm/MEL but don't harp to much on getting multi time. the 1500 total is the key right now. the regional airlines are hurting big time right now and are not looking for a bunch of multi time. the more you have the better, but I see guys getting hired with 50hr or less of multi time. get as many hrs as you can as cheap as you can, does not matter really what it is in. just keep your instrument skills sharp and keep hitting the books, know the FAR's and IFR procedures well and the the interview will be cake.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

As a guy in the regional 121 world right now, I'd love to help you out. PM me and I'll see what I can do.

If you need much time at all, look at the 135 world. Cape Air, Air Choice One, Great Lakes, or any of the MANY gigs that will get you time fast. You want to be flying nearly everyday for someplace that is close to home. Or move to where you are based.

Get your time, and move to 121 regional. It won't take long. Study your butt off to not bust any rides. Depending on your background, it may not be easy, but it's a LONG way from impossible.

You won't make much until you make regional CA. I did it in 9 months though. Many places you can do it as soon as you have the time.

Back