What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High density altitudes

sirlegin

Well Known Member
Have any 9 A's flown into Ruidoso and Angel Fire in New Mexico.
I am seeing density altitudes in the 8000 to 10,000 range which means pretty compromised rates of climb and extended take off rolls.
Not having a POH for my 320 Lycoming fuel injected 9A can anyone relate their experiences?
Thanks

I have flown with several 9 pilots in the Aspen Colorado area. The airport is just under 8,000' elevation and you are easily at 10,000 just in the pattern. The 9 had no issues at all - even at close to gross. Ask Vlad who was up with the airliners on his trip out west.

That doesnt mean you dont have to pay attention to your weight-balance, approach speeds, and every other aspect of mountain flying, but your plane will preform great.

I live and fly every day at 5000. On hot days, while everyone else is calculating density alt, I just go fly. The 9A just doesn't seem to care very much. Lean it out and go fly. Keep it light where you can. Four hours of fuel is more than most flights need in my observation.

In the summer I'm based at KAEJ (Buena Vista Colorado) at 8,000 ft MSL. Density altitude often 11,500 and occasionally approaching 12,000 ft. Never had any problems with performance on the 9A with O-320 and fixed pitch prop.

The wing on the 9A is amazing, and the 28 ft span gives good climb rate. We have 8,000 ft length, but don't think I've ever used more than a 3rd of that.

Also been into Leadville which is nearly 10,000 MSL, but avoid the really hot afternoons.

Roger Bloomfield

RV-9A N711ED
RV-8 N51BL Completed April 2015 after 7 year gestation

Our 9A has a 150hp O-320 and a Catto fixed pitch cruise prop, but even so, we find the performance at high density altitudes to be very good. Proper leaning is critical, though. Our home base is KAEG (around 5800 MSL), and we are essentially never at full rich (even for start or take off).

Assuming your IO320 is fitted with standard mags, is timed well and you have EGT probes around 2" from the head, lean for about 1300dF.

The FCU will get that pretty close anyway, and you just tweak the final bit.

POH

That is a great question and a good one to be asking. A suggestion might be to grab a RV-9A POH online and fill in the numbers for your airplane. That would also be a good way to get a good feel for how it performs in different situations and loading configurations. As for how it will climb at DA of 10,000 feet, try loading it to gross weight and climb out of your home airport to 12,000 feet. Check your climb rate between 11,000 and 12,000. At gross weight and DA of 5000 feet, my 9A with IO-320 and constant speed prop will leave the runway in about 800 feet. Your airplane may perform differently.

Back