What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone around the IYK China Lake area? TX -> IYK

N252CE

I'm New Here
I'm heading to Ridgecrest for a week in Dec for work and I'm thinking about flying my RV4 there from TX.

1)Would there be anyone around IYK that might have suggestions on hangers for rent and knowledge of the surrounding area?

2) Is there anyone that familiar with IYK/Trona/Death Valley/Vegas areas that might have some words of wisdom? I'm thinking of a last leg from just south of Vegas to Trona airport, through the surrounding MOAs, then south between China Lake's restricted airspace to IYK. Anyone been this route before?

3) Must see places to fly to/visit in that area..

Thanks much!
Steve..

Yes Axel is your man.

Have been through the "Trona Gap". You must have a GOOD GPS as it is hard to tell where you are looking on the ground. Joshia Approach will typically let you fly through the Restricted airspace around EDW but forget about China Lake.

Places to visit:
L35 - Thelma's Restaurant
Inyo Kern
Catalina

There are more but I will let Rosie tell you what he likes.

I shoot the Trona gap quite often on my way between Mojave and Vegas, and while I can't think of anything particularly interesting in that piece of real estate, there's no real difficulty in navigating the area. If you set it up right, you CAN do a straight line through the gap, but you do get close to some of the corners of the restricted area. I'd hate to do it without a GPS though.

Thanks for your responses. I've sent Axel a msg and we'll see how that turns out.

I can't wait to head out west. I've been up and down the east coast, so this should be fun.

Any suggestions of any sorts will be appreciated! As far as the GPS, I fly a Garmin 430, so I believe I'm good to go there.

Does anyone know of a lake bed that I could land on? Maybe even camp on?
: -) Any places not to fly to?

Thanks again!

I have landed on El Mirage many times. On weekends, there is a lot of activity there including off road vehicles, ultralights, trikes, land sailing, etc. Watch out for all these plus make sure the surface is in fact flat. In most cases, it's like landing on a pool table, but make sure. Watch for power lines on the east end.

Got your email. I am on travel, will get back to you soon. Send me a PM with your phone number. BTW, you don't need a GPS. The landmarks are very easy to see once you know what you are looking for. I can take you to some cool places.

Does anyone know of a lake bed that I could land on? Maybe even camp on?

If you have never landed on a dry lake, talk to some experienced folks about the correct technique ---- depth perception issues can be a problem.

Dry Lake Beds

Almost all of the BLM lands with dry lake beds are good to go for both landing and camping. Don't forget to buzz low first not only for the normal things (runway surface composition, length, obstacles, ruts, etc) but also to herd off the Dune Dummies in the area. Since there are a lot of city folk who have to bring their ATVs and Jeeps to the desert just to off road and they are just like a Visa credit card...every where you want to be.

Almost all of the BLM lands with dry lake beds are good to go for both landing and camping. Don't forget to buzz low first not only for the normal things (runway surface composition, length, obstacles, ruts, etc) but also to herd off the Dune Dummies in the area. Since there are a lot of city folk who have to bring their ATVs and Jeeps to the desert just to off road and they are just like a Visa credit card...every where you want to be.

Yes, they can be everwhere...

But whenever I landed my sailplane on a Mojave Desert dry lake a biker would always instantly show up with a cold beer....:)

Back