What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iFly 700 beta testing

videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
I am doing some testing on the iFly 700 GPS by Adventure Pilot. If you haven't seen it, check out https://ifly.adventurepilot.com/Home.aspx I will write up what I find here. If you have any specific questions here, post them and I will try to answer them.

Out of the box, it looks good. Nice case, nice mount, solid items that look up to the task. Beyond that, I have work to do. I would say I am a bit surprised to see an item of this quality for $500. Now, to see how it works...

Bob Kelly

THANKS - keep us posted

Unit looks good, especially if the enroutes and approaches are available on it.

Only the approaches are on the unit currently. Don't know about enroutes, but will see if they are saying anything about that yet. The approaches look good, but I will have to get in the plane and check the sunlight readability. This thing is really intuitive! It is really easy to figure out and program. Also, it found my location in seconds the first time I fired it up. Most of my hand-held experience is with the AvMap EKP IV with some time on various Garmins.

Bob

Enroute charts will probably be the first major update and I would expect them to come along pretty quickly, perhaps by SNF. That will make this a great addition for the IFR crowd. There are other things in the works, but pilot feedback is very important. If there is something you would like to see, pass it along here.

I don't know if I will be able to fly this today as the day began with freezing fog. I haven't looked at the forecast, but it looks pretty stinko for a while.

Bob

I finally flew the 700. Conditions: severe clear with a fairly low sun. I mounted it to the windscreen on top of the glare shield--the worst possible place from a sunlight standpoint. Also not the best place for someone (me) with bifocals. I will have to figure out a better place before I do much more with it.

It updates quicker than my AvMap, I would guess once per second. Not that that is a big deal, but it is nice. The airspeed, track and alt readouts seem to be dead-on, which I would expect. It seems to be about the same brightness as the AvMap and I was surprised when the 700 didn't dim out when I put on polarized sunglasses. Every other piece of glass I have did, of course. I just did that to test it. My normal flying sunglasses had little effect, either.

I wasn't completely comfortable with the readability with the sun behind me and the sectional at what I would consider normal size. Zooming in helped. Going into the other mode (sectional off) made everything easy to see, except for me having to tilt my head back because of the bifocals. Don't tell me old is a state of mind!

I tried reading the approach plates (the principal reason I am interested in the iFly 700) and they are completely readable in any condition I tried.

Lots of more testing to do, but I can tell you this--this is the easiest-to-use gizmo I had tried in a long time. A few minutes and anyone could use it. There are some things that can be improved, but it is OK. For the price, I don't think there is anything like it.

More later.

Bob

AP

Is there an output to drive a autopilot, etc? There is none mentioned on the web site.

Negative. If it did, I think I would pull my AvMap out tomorrow and sell it. Even with a 430, I want the AvMap as a backup to drive the autopilot. I think I am GPS poor!

Bob

Looks Nice

Wow, this looks like a nice unit. I can't wait to play with one at SNF. I really like the idea of the sectional view, and the approach plates. I have been thinking of purchasing a Kindle (or the like) for displaying & viewing approach plates. For about the same amount of money, one could buy this GPS and not have to mess with the Kindle.

Jim,

I am looking at it as a Kindle-for-pilots also. I am going to be comparing it to other stuff out there, too. One plus, compared to the Kindle, is color.

The unit came with some outdated sectionals, plates, etc. so I tried some updating. I am on satellite and it runs slower in the evenings, but everything is doable. I could save some time downloading in the morning, perhaps cutting DL time to 1/3rd. I put in the latest software--took only seconds. Current TFR's took less than a minute. These appear to be updated every few minutes. A sectional was 27megs and took about 15 minutes. Same for the airport and navaid database for the whole US. I was surprised that the approach plates for four states was over 100 megs and took over 1/2 hour. I guess these are pdf files, but don't really know. Installing any of these into the GPS takes only a minute or so. I will do the rest of the updating in the early AM to save time.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bob

Just a note on a recent "find" on the 700, plus a few things to come. It will be at S&F, so you can check 'em out.

There is a neat feature on the "nearest" menu. You can search for airports in two ways; all airports or airports with weather--AWOS or similar. That automatically sorts out the smaller airports that probably lack some of the facilities you may need. Nice idea.

One up-coming feature will be attractions such as dining at airports. This falls under the heading of Destinations and could be helpful in flight planning, especially when looking for fun places to go.

I haven't flown the 700 again. Right now I am glad I can make it out of the driveway. We are really snowed in here in Southern Indiana.

Bob

Heading?

Looks like a nice unit but I am always suspicious when a company doesn't understand even the most basic things about their unit. They not only refer to heading display on the website but it actually says heading on some of the screens. I am very confident that this unit cannot display heading.

Interesting point, Larry. This is why I am doing some of the beta testing, and I have found other things as well. I am not sure who is doing the website, but as for as the product is concerned, they are being very responsive. As far as heading vs course, a simple fix. I feel they have as good a handle on flying as the makers of some other equipment I have used. This is a very new product. It has some maturing to do. We will see...

Bob

P.S. Just fired up the unit. I wondered why I hadn't caught that one. It appears that was changed several revisions ago but hasn't gotten onto the web yet.

Last edited:
Negative on in-flight photos, and I should have done that. I did do a final test and will say that I was again pleased with the results. I had extremely bright conditions, and I was surprised I could read the sectionals, even with sun on the screen. I thought I might only be able to read the screen in the non-sectional (blank background) mode. It could be brighter, but I could read everything zoomed in a bit. It is very easy to use. Things like reversing a flight plan take only a couple of screen touches.

They have announced the 3.0 version, which I may or may not test. It DOES have enroute IFR charts added, which brings total updates to about $90 per year, if you want them. You can now also view METARS and add a course line in front of the aircraft, along with a bunch of other things. They have increased all the font sizes which I believe will add to readability. Lots of improvements.

I was happy with the unit and their response to suggestions. All in all, a very nice GPS, especially for the price. If you are going to S&F, be sure to check it out.

Bob Kelly

Good Checkout at SnF

Very impressive unit --- probably hard to beat for the price and the cost of updates. I messed with unit that had sectionals, enroutes, and approach plates. While there, it was obvious that others were impressed, as I saw several sold.

iFLY 700

Well I was one of the several at SnF that bought one of the i FLY 700's and I must say I'm really impressed. I have and have had several AnyWhereMaps,one with weather, numerous Lowrances and have 2 AvMap IVs and this unit will stand up to any of them and you can buy 2 or 3 for the price of the others. I never fly North up, except with the 700 which so far you have to,but with the course ticks at top it is very easy to do. So far have only flown a couple of trips with it in the Rans S7.It has good screen visibility and is so easy to use that even a cave man could figure it out. Their manual is only 20 pages with big print and many pictures.
They need to work on a Ram mount and it sounds like they may have weather in the future. Another thing that would be nice if the airplane moved on the approach plate.

It is a unit worth looking at!

new 7" GPS touch-screen...where & what???

sorry gang,
just yesterday there was a post about a new GPS....but I can't find it!
Help?
It was some slick 7" for $499 or so with cheap updates, showed a sectional ( good or bad?) view etc.

thx

Looks intriguing but.....

It would be nice to know some technical stuff

Screen brightness. "good sunlight readability" does not always really mean that under a bubble canopy. The price suggests this is not highly capable hardware.

Operating system??? windows Linux etc?????????

Hard drive, solid state or disc.?

Hard drive or temperature problems at altitude????

OS? I beta tested it but have no idea. Really don't care, either. It works. All storage is solid state. It is pretty good as far as visibility--very good when on a bare background and readable with a sectional as background. That is in an RV-9A with bubble canopy. Shading helps as with almost any GPS. The price (IMHO) is a bit deceiving. We are so used to aviation stuff costing so much due to the low volumes involved. This is actually an OEM automotive navigation unit converted to aviation use. Hardware costs are much reduced and reliability should be improved, although that remains to be seen. With all the sectionals/IFR charts and such, this is an amazing unit. It won't drive an autopilot and it requires a power source--minor problems considering the cost. Come to think of it, I guess it is that way because most cars have power supplies and very few have autopilots. For $500, there is nothing like it out there. I would bet a 430W would cost less than $2500 if a similar unit had been built for a Ford.

Standard disclaimer: other than testing the unit, I have no affiliation with the company. But I do like their product.

Bob Kelly

test fly me?

I sent an e-mail to them yesterday asking about Canadian sectionals etc.
Does anyone else know if this is intended to use for x-border ops?
Heck, I'd even be a beta tester :)

what I see is there are at least 2 types of portable GPS users.

I just want a plug 'n play unit, with crystal clear map view that I or my passenger can use when tooling around day VFR. Paying $500 for that sounds good, with annual chart updates perhaps ( as are most paper charts)

..then there are those that really need them to drive an auto-pilot, approach plates and IFR backup displays. I expect this to cost thousands, with monthly updates etc. and be Very reliable and connective with existing hardware.

OS? I beta tested it but have no idea. Really don't care, either. It works. All storage is solid state. It is pretty good as far as visibility--very good when on a bare background and readable with a sectional as background. That is in an RV-9A with bubble canopy. Shading helps as with almost any GPS. The price (IMHO) is a bit deceiving. We are so used to aviation stuff costing so much due to the low volumes involved. This is actually an OEM automotive navigation unit converted to aviation use. Hardware costs are much reduced and reliability should be improved, although that remains to be seen. With all the sectionals/IFR charts and such, this is an amazing unit. It won't drive an autopilot and it requires a power source--minor problems considering the cost. Come to think of it, I guess it is that way because most cars have power supplies and very few have autopilots. For $500, there is nothing like it out there. I would bet a 430W would cost less than $2500 if a similar unit had been built for a Ford.

Standard disclaimer: other than testing the unit, I have no affiliation with the company. But I do like their product.

Bob Kelly

I know it doesn't geo reference approach plates, but does it geo reference the IFR enroute charts like it does the VFR sectionals?

I've had one for about a month now. I looked at everything out there and it really is the cheapest solution, and it is a great backup. I don't like that the course isn't corrected for magnetic variation like our other GPS's, but that is supposed to be fixed in the next release. It is nice to have ALL sectionals and all low altitude charts, plus approach plates, stars, sids, etc. current when I leave for a flight. The low altitude enroute and vfr sectionals are geo referenced, but the approach plates are not.
I mounted it between the front seats in the 10, and intend to use it in the 7 as well. While it is readable in direct sunlight, it sould stand to be a little brighter, and I wish it had an internal battery, but other than that it seems very user friendly and practical.
Yes, the IPAD has more apps for it, and is more useful, and expensive, at the end of the day, but I just wanted a single-purpose device, and it is great for that.
Creating and downloading an update package which includes TFR's right before a flight is really easy.
So far, so good.

Vic

TFR's etc?

Vic,
you've got something there! I had no idea, beyond reading notams, and penciling in some change on my paper charts, that this was the state of the art!?
Are you saying that you go online to some database, download the current file, and then upload to your 700 with a USB stick or something?
....and it displays the TFR on your sectional view?
...does it warn when approaching, like an MOA?

appreciate if you'd take a minute and run thru how you actually USE the thing!
I still don't know what to do with my GPS (AvMap).

thx

Yes, you nailed it. The download is to a usb stick. Actually, their process for creating the update package is pretty easy and slick. You click on creat update package, and then you basically check everything you want. The plates are done every 30 days of course, but normally I just check TFR's and updates. It is real quick. I haven't noticed any warnings when approaching a TFR, but I usually stay away from them anyway. I'll have to look at it to see if warnings are configurable. I know that there are options for how they look, such as shaded, outlined, etc, so they really stand out.
If you put the stick in th eunit when you power it up, it recognizes the update package and asks if you want to install it. It's pretty quick.
A large update such as in EVERYTHING looks like it could take 45 minutes on a DSL line.

Vic

I have been a beta tester also. Minor glitches found were all quickly resolved. Brought up the true vs magnetic issue also and told that it would be resolved in future versions. Only issue i have with the unit is readability in our clear canopy aircraft. I have a sunshade on my RV6 canopy and also made a sunshade for the IFLY out of .025 and I find it readable although it would be nice if it were brighter. Had to pick up an RV9 in California last weekend and fly it back to NY and I took the IFLY with me. It's readability was marginal, at best, in the bright cockpit. I've asked adventure pilot about a hardware upgrade and it's now on their radar. They mentioned that if they do find a suitable (albeit, more expensive) platform, that they would continue to make the original units and take them in trade for those wishing to upgrade.
The capability and software on this unit is phenomenal and the company really listens to the customers and adds/changes things very quickly. Well worth the price of admission.

Nice looking unit! For you beta testers, please lean on the company to tie in to autopilots. That would expand their market appeal. I just searched the world over to find a data cable for my Lowrance 2000C to tie in with an autopilot installation, but this GPS looks like a step up from my Lowrance. But... without a/p connectivity, I'll have to stick with my Lowrance.

If the company listens to suggestions/wishes, please pass this on. Thanks --

Go to their forum for news on the A/P connection

George,

Recently checked their forum for any update on a GPS/Autopilot connection and apparently it's in the plans. Spoke to Walter briefly today and it's likely for end of year/first of next year (but he makes no promises on when)

Join the forum at the IFly website and you'll see the topic. Let Walter know directly. Hopefully more support will encourage introduction of the interface and hasten availability.

http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/Support/Forum/tabid/108/forumid/8/scope/threads/Default.aspx

I saw your post on there, Carl. I also had emailed Walter directly saying pretty much the same thing as what you and the other posters said. He seems very responsive to customer communication. I suggested a reasonable fee to cover the insurance expense, and it seems he's picking up on the flood of suggestions to add an autopilot nav feed.

A/p coupling and if the gov't geocodes the approach plates as he expects would tip the scale for me. I currently have a Lowrance Airmap 2000C which is nice, but the iFly is a big step nicer, I think, and with those features it's probably nice enough to justify the expenditure. The idea of keeping my maps folded up in my 3's pocket is very appealing.

Wonder what the next 5 years will bring!

Nice looking unit! For you beta testers, please lean on the company to tie in to autopilots. That would expand their market appeal. I just searched the world over to find a data cable for my Lowrance 2000C to tie in with an autopilot installation, but this GPS looks like a step up from my Lowrance. But... without a/p connectivity, I'll have to stick with my Lowrance.

If the company listens to suggestions/wishes, please pass this on. Thanks --

The auto-pilot in a concern to me as well! I have already purchased one of these and this is my main gripe. If they correct this issue I will purchase six more units immediately. Regards all, Allan

It's been a while, so I emailed in about the autopilot feed. I was surprised to get an answer from Shane Woodson that the autopilot "remains a low request feature." He said they are continuing to develop it, and it will come in time.

I am impressed that each time they've been quick to personally respond to my emails. If you want a/p capability, please, let them know! Unlike the gov't, I think letters requesting the a/p connection might make a difference.

I'm just one guy, but the a/p connectivity is all I'd need to pull the trigger. I wouldn't think I'm alone wanting this, and wouldn't that put the iFly a step ahead of the iPad?

Keep the cards and letters coming!

IFLY 700 !!!!!

I purchased one about 35 days ago and used and played with it for the best part of a month. I must say I absolutely love this unit and the ease of operation. In less than an hour I had it completely figured out and was an expert. I too want the auto pilot feature, and don't want it without AP. The only other thing that i am not impressed with is the fact that it has no internal battery. This thing will take the place of boxes of sectionals, charts and airport logs Etc. It is the ultimate tool for flight planning but you need to carry an extension cord. I would like to carry it into say a coffee shop and be able to do my planning without an outlet for power. I went ahead and sent mine back, voicing my concerns and informing them that as soon as either function was available, I would immediately reorder. If enough people do this it will surely build a fire under them and institute some changes. Regards, Allan:rolleyes:

Thanks Allan, that's about as strong a statement as you can make, sending the unit back. Hopefully more people will write and make it known that A/P really IS desirable.

I'm thinking the internal battery would be easy for them, and probably some external battery would be doable as well. Something thin with a velcro attach point or clip on maybe? In flight, the first thing I thought was if the electrics go off, I won't care about a nav system, but then I realized that would be the time when it would really come in handy to find a close place to land at a glance on the iFly.

Thanks Allan, that's about as strong a statement as you can make, sending the unit back. Hopefully more people will write and make it known that A/P really IS desirable.

I'm thinking the internal battery would be easy for them, and probably some external battery would be doable as well.

George, they already have an external battery pack available. Go to their website and you'll see the different available options. I'm waiting for RAM to come out with a ball mount since I already have a RAM assy installed. The ball mount that comes with the IFly is smaller than a RAM mount ball.

I'm thinking the internal battery would be easy for them, and probably some external battery would be doable as well.

They sell an external battery pack, but that isn't as convenient as an internal like my Garman has. The fewer cords, adapters, chargers and miscellaneous garbage the better to me or any pilot. An internal battery needs to charge when the unit is in use in your airplane so it is always ready to go. If lots of people were to do what I did, as in order one and send it back, I am sure we would see immediate action on the A/P interface. You would actually be doing Adventure Pilot a service and helping insure the survival and future growth of their operation. After all this would put there product leaps and bounds ahead of the competition namely the I-Pad. (think about it!!!!) Now that you have thought about it, "lets geter done"
Regards, Allan:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I could live with an external battery, so much so that I didn't even research it. I'll write them back and try to nudge them into maybe posting a poll on their site to see abuot a/p interest. Before I told them something like that would have value, and they could charge a reasonable extra fee for the feature.

I don't know what to say - they'd be the industry leader, they could make more bucks, they could sell more units, beat the iPad guys, what am I missing?

I'd buy one in a NY minute if it had the AP feature. Getting them to put up a poll is a good idea.

Just ordered one with "extended accessories"

$678.00 includes the EXTERNAL BATTERY PACK, (very small size), the remote antenna, case, mount, remote control, AC adapt, DC adapt., and 16 months of VFR/IFR subscription.

Now, I have the TRUEFLIGHT Flight Cheetah 190 in my Lance and 210-S in the RV-10, which I dearly love -- unbeatable package. However, for carrying around in my flightbag and getting into different airplanes, the small size of the ifly 700 is attractive.

And, yes, when they offer weather on the 700, I will be opting for it, if it does not have to use the large Weather Worx box.

Congrats Ron - sounds good.

I got more assurance from Shane Woodson at iFly via email that they are in fact working on an autopilot connection and he said weather is a high demand item. No timetable, understandably due to develpomental uncertainties, but it appears work is definitely in progress.

For how many years did we fly with windshield wiper VOR's and trying to average ADF needle oscillations and look what we have to play with now! It's an exciting time in the nav business.

With a responsive company and a nifty product, the iFly looks attractive.

Using in -8A

I mounted a pc. of lexan on top of the instrument panel (velcro and couple of screws/nuts) and use the suction mount that comes with the unit. On the plane I fly, (no pun intended), it looks like a "heads-up" display and does not impede outside vision.------- works great!

Ron

Back