What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for black oxide stainless screws

AeroDog

Well Known Member
Friend
Tried the search function to no avail. Specifically, I need AN526C-632 stainless screws with a black oxide finish. I tried painting with poor results. Tried McMaster-Carr, no joy.

Jerre

I recently watched this video on how to turn steel black. This guy knows his stuff. He mentions that the bluing won't work on Stainless steel.

If the Genuine Aircraft Hardware catalog is correct, that's an 80 ksi fastener. If it were in low carbon steel, cadmium plated, it would only be a 60 ksi fastener. The Phillips indentation on the head will wear quickly. It would be better to find a screw that's at least 125 ksi or higher.

(Ksi means 1,000 psi, so 80 ksi = 80,000 psi. This is the strength of the material, and for steels, it's fairly low).

Dave

If the Genuine Aircraft Hardware catalog is correct, that's an 80 ksi fastener. If it were in low carbon steel, cadmium plated, it would only be a 60 ksi fastener. The Phillips indentation on the head will wear quickly. It would be better to find a screw that's at least 125 ksi or higher.

(Ksi means 1,000 psi, so 80 ksi = 80,000 psi. This is the strength of the material, and for steels, it's fairly low).

Dave

The AN526C-632R8 that I need are for the rear window on my -12. These screws supplied with the kit are non-structural stainless. I'm guessing they're available in black oxide finish.

BTW, Dave, I'll be joining you on the Front Range permanently starting in September. Still looking for a hangar at KLMO.

Jerre

How about something like these?

Tried the search function to no avail. Specifically, I need AN526C-632 stainless screws with a black oxide finish. I tried painting with poor results. Tried McMaster-Carr, no joy.

Jerre
Not specified as AN, but these may well be adequate in a non structural application. (I have no connection to either source other than being a satisfied customer.)

https://www.boltdepot.com/Machine_s...nless_steel_18-8_black_oxide_finish_6-32.aspx
Or

https://www.albanycountyfasteners.c...ish=Black Oxide&f_product_type=Machine Screws

Peter

Last edited:
Cardboard, center punch to make holes, put screws partially into the holes, shoot with Rustoleum professional flat black, let dry.

Fifteen years later, still looking good. Lose one doing maintenance? Make more! Easy to make all the sizes and lengths you might need.

Learned that trick years ago (decades!) watching a painter make painted screws for equipment going in Boeing panels.

Last edited:
The cardboard/centerpunch trick for sure, but also glass bead-blast them before painting. Paint adheres much better to a non-shiny surface.

Another trick when painting is to use several VERY light coats and make sure it's dry between passes.

About 3 coats before it even looks black.

Back