What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

430W question

Raymo

Well Known Member
I recently purchased a damaged aircraft that contained a 430W but wondering if there are more desirable attributes based on part number and/or serial number.

This one will be sold once I have a good feeling on the value.

blI6aULl.jpg

As far as the serial #'s this unit appears to be a 430 with a black face panel that was upgraded to WAAS. I would think that black face panels are more desirable along with 14v units that were originally manufactured with WAAS.

But I would be interested if you decide to sell, please offer me 1st option

For me it would be incrementally more valuable with the latest software update. The last few updates have added support for some approaches that will be missing otherwise, and support for the Flightstream to name a couple changes.

Thanks for the input, gents. I spoke with the previous owner and he said it was factory rebuilt 2 years ago (2014) prior to him purchasing it for his Lancair project. I would think it has the latest software revisions (minus Flightstream) but will try to confirm.

Last edited:
Just FYI...one of the recent software releases (I forget which one) added ADS-B+ format, which is needed by various XPDRs or EFISes to conform to the 2020 mandate. You local Garmin avionics shop should be able to do the update if it's not the most current software.

Just FYI...one of the recent software releases (I forget which one) added ADS-B+ format, which is needed by various XPDRs or EFISes to conform to the 2020 mandate. You local Garmin avionics shop should be able to do the update if it's not the most current software.

ADS-B+ format requires software version 5.0 or newer.

Carl

ADS-B+ format requires software version 5.0 or newer.

Carl

There are two separate pieces of software in a 430W.

Main software and GPS/WAAS software. They are, of course, at different version numbers now (I don't recall which one is which, I think the latest was main 5.30, and I don't remember the current GPS version). In any case, the avionics shop can update it (I paid $95 last year sometime to have it done).

Back