What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edge rolling the wing skins at the overlap?

bruceh

Well Known Member
Getting ready to prep my wing skins for riveting.

Is it recommended to put a little edge roll on the inboard skin where it overlaps the outboard skin? Or is this unnecessary?

If so, I'll do it before I dimple.

There are a number of places where rolling the edge of the skin is not "necessary," but it does make for a tighter joint. I rolled the skins where they meet on top of (and under) the spar. I like the effect and would do it again.

Bob Kelly

Getting ready to prep my wing skins for riveting.

Is it recommended to put a little edge roll on the inboard skin where it overlaps the outboard skin? Or is this unnecessary?

If so, I'll do it before I dimple.

I would recommend it. You only need a little bit, be careful not to stretch the skin.

The edge rolling tool is inexpensive and easy to use (Avery). I recommend doing this where advised to.

Roberta

Overlap joint?

I am not sure on the 9, but on the 6 you transition from .032 to .025 mid wing and that joint overlaps, unless you used a one piece .032 skin as some did. You have one row of rivets on the ribs and another in free air next to it. If that joint is what you are talking about, you don't roll that edge, you scarf the top skin.
I agree with others on rolling the edges where the leading edge skins meet the aft wing skins on the spar.

Back