What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone out there using the AV-30 instrument?

I am pretty sure that Marc Cook is flying one in his Sportsman Axel, and I think he wrote it up in the magazine - but I can never keep track of what has made it to print and what hasn’t those days. You might check with him!

I have a few hours on the original Aerovonics version of the AV-30. It works great. Aerovonics was founded by one of the guys who started Aspen Avionics, and it shows in the quality of this unit. Solid hardware and software, and great performing AHRS.

I have been evaluating some commonly available AHRS units in dynamic maneuvering conditions for our OnSpeed project, and I wasn't impressed with most of them. They can all keep you upright, but they are not very accurate. This one does better than most.

The only negative that I can think of is that you don't get magnetic heading like on a real PFD, just GPS track (if you have it connected to a GPS).

Lenny

AV-30

I installed one after my vacuum pump quit. Vacuum system, AI, and DG came out.....the AV-30E went in, taking the place of the AI. With the (optional) temperature probe installed it can display OAT and TAS.

So far it works great.

AV 30 wind speed and direction

Just thinking........

With the AV30 in DG mode ( ie pilot set heading to align with liquid compass) and Track being available from an external GPS. Add to that the OAT input...surely the wind speed and direction can be computed and displayed?

would be a great enhancement I think

Kevin

I’ve had one for about 4 months and love it. Still haven’t got the AOA dialed in perfect yet. Work in progress.

I have two standalone instruments flown almost 900 hours. AI is rock solid but DG mode is all over the place. Desperately needs a magnetometer.

Vlad - please take a moment to enlighten me. When you say "all over the place" what exactly do you mean?

I'm asking because none of the experimental EFIS systems have much of an option for a free-running DG mode. Sure, they do GPS ground track, but that's not HEADING. In the area of compass unreliability I'd like to have something that will act like a free-running DG which will provide me true heading, not GPS track. Your comments on the AV30 and its ability to perform this function would be appreciated.

Vlad - please take a moment to enlighten me. When you say "all over the place" what exactly do you mean?

I'm asking because none of the experimental EFIS systems have much of an option for a free-running DG mode. Sure, they do GPS ground track, but that's not HEADING. In the area of compass unreliability I'd like to have something that will act like a free-running DG which will provide me true heading, not GPS track. Your comments on the AV30 and its ability to perform this function would be appreciated.
Hi Mark,
Say, today, 15 min after takeoff unit #2 precessed about 20 degrees. I lined up both and after an hour of playing around local followed by a convoluted 7 min taxi #2 was off approximately 70 degrees. #1 deviated 50ish something... I did pull some Gs and forced the turns... cute instruments though :)

I have two standalone instruments flown almost 900 hours. AI is rock solid but DG mode is all over the place. Desperately needs a magnetometer.

Had the same wandering DG problem in a standalone install in a C-172. Factory admits they have a problem and are working on a fix.

Excellent Value

I have both the Garmin 275 and the AV-30E. For the money, the AV-30E is an EXCELLENT value. As previously mentioned a magnometer will be a good addition but for what I replaced it for, attitude indicator, love it. The Garmin 275 is amazing but x3 the $$$$$

I have installed and flown the AV-30E and AV-30C (certified) and love them. I have also installed and own Garmin G5 units, both single and dual unit set ups. On the AV-30 I would forgo heading mode and set the unit up to use GPS track until the remote magnetometer option hits the market. The OAT probe provides for TAS, density altitude and OAT. The designer, Jeff Bethel, is a true genius. Before Aerovonix was taken over by uAvionix Jeff was working on a software upgrade that would customize the magnetic variation corrections for each installation so that when the pilot sets the DG setting per the compass the localized magnetic interferences for each aircraft would be averaged out over time. Analogous to optimizing a fuel transducer's K factor over time by correcting the fuel usage by entering samples. Precision increases with the number of DG settings over time. Don't know how far he got before the acquisition.

I did a stint test flying competative mini EFIS/AI's and the AV-30 was consistently the most solid display of actual attitude. Participants included Aerovonix AV-30, Garmin G5, GRT Mini and SAI 340 Sandia Quattro. The AV-30 was as precise as a new vacuum DG right out of the box. One of the most critical and confusing condition for a modern solid-state digital attitude indicator is the opposite of legacy vacuum horizons. In other words while the traditional attitude indicator gyro doesn't like extreme attitudes or rapid accelerations modern digital AHRS sensors excel at those same conditions. Unfortunately the opposite is true. While conventional gyros perform well and happy at nice easy slow displacements such as standard-rate turns and easy IFR maneuvers those same easy maneuvers can wreak havoc on solid-state attitude computer chips confusing their algorithms resulting in wonky results. Flying competative micro EFIS units side by side in the same panel at the same time was eye opening. The AV-30 was the most consistent and accurate of the bunch. The G5 was second since it relies on GPS signals as part of its solution and some maneuvering flight caused trouble when GPS signal was blocked such as in aerobatic flight or even steep turns. Not so that AV-30 since it doesn't rely on external GPS reception. I would rate the Mini 3rd and the Sandia dead last. I fact I would be hard pressed to install the FAA approved Sandia in a golf cart much less an aircraft.

If you are going with an all-Garmin panel or just G3X or GFC then no question the G5 is a better choice over the AV-30. But for all-around flying in a non-Garmin dependent set up the AV-30 is a perfect choice. I would bet my life on either one to get down to an airport in IMC. It will come down to your mission profile and intended interfacing equipment before you decide on which make to buy. If you want a keep it simple device that just works as a flight instrument while also providing GPS nav guidance the AV-30 is a great choice. For the record my preferred display on the AV-30 during VFR cruise is the EFIS Arc mode.

And I personally think the round format and customizable display on the AV-30 makes it the best looking unit of the bunch.

Hi Mark,
Say, today, 15 min after takeoff unit #2 precessed about 20 degrees. I lined up both and after an hour of playing around local followed by a convoluted 7 min taxi #2 was off approximately 70 degrees. #1 deviated 50ish something... I did pull some Gs and forced the turns... cute instruments though :)

Thanks, Vlad, for providing these details. I do hope the factory comes up with a better solution because those precession rates make "DG Mode" a non-starter.

My RV bud sent me an email I think it's a good one :)

Comrade,

Was just reading your post on AV-30 drift. The AV-30 is a "replacement" for gyroscopic instruments. Since an old school directional gyro
must be reset every 15 minutes, during straight and level flight, the performance you are reporting indeed qualifies as a "replacement",
not a substitute for a magnetometer. Downgrading it's performance during taxi and airwork is very inappropriate. Also, only gyros precess,
what you are describing is drift. Can you point this out to the brain trust on VAF? I think it is unfair to bag on this company when the product
is functioning as designed.

Ivan

He has the instrument too.

Two AV-30 questions.

Has uavionix publicly announced they are working on a magnetometer option for the AV-30, or does anyone here have the inside scoop?

In a dual AV-30 installation, can you "T" the gps input to both units?

Thanks,

AV-30 compared to the GRT Mini-X? Seems the Mini-X, which has an optional OAT and mag compass, might be a better value.

Back