What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Approach speed

bob888

Well Known Member
I am looking for advice on optimal approach speed when flying a precision (LPV or ILS) approach to a somewhat short runway. Usually not a problem with ILS as these runways seem to be generally longer but a lot of LPV now serve runways in the 3000 ft range. Approaching at 120 kt with flap in trail, I can't get down from the DA if flown to minimums. At 90 kt with 1/2 flap it is better but still quite a bit of float past the aiming stripes at 1000 ft down the runway. If I drop the flaps to full just at the DA, it destabilizes the approach somewhat. One could fly at 85 kt with full flap but seems too slow and awkward attitude for the whole 5 or so nm from the FAF. What have others found?

An instrument approach to minimums is not the best place for carrying enough energy to make a power-off straight in.

Bottom line, IMC, stable between the FAF and 1000' AFE is pretty standard.

Assuming you really don't want to fly the whole final segment at a full flap, power-on 3 degree or whichever angle is used- I like 1000 AFE and 3 miles for being pretty rock stable.

You want to land, you know it is a shorter runway- but you would not be there if you can't land safely by being on speed and path for the last few miles.

An instrument approach clearance includes the missed approach. What's a better setup for going missed? Doing so while slowing and configuring or from a stable speed, config and power setting?

With an accurate FPV, it is possible to slow most RVs while descending on path. Mental math can work also, if you have winds or groundspeed known.

Stable in close is the best way to transfer from IMC to a lower vis landing avoiding ducking under.

I can't really help with anything specific for your -10, but in my airline world, approach speeds are typically 1.3 Vso and "stable" is being on speed, flaps configured, on G/S, on LOC, and several other call outs by 1000' above Touch Down Zone Elevation. 1.3 Vso is used because it carries a little more energy to factor in the go around.

(Thinking RV-10 specific here) AT the Go Around call: Pitch for climb, add takeoff power, maybe pull the flaps up to half to reduce some drag, establish positive rate, flaps the rest of the way up and you're golden.

I'm a MPH guy when it comes to my RV-4, so for my approach speed at 1.3 Vso would be about 70 mph, or 61 knots. That's actually slower than I usually wheel land at so that would be a perfect approach speed for any field length.

Using Van's published stall speed on the website for the -10, a good approach speed for you (I would think) would be 72 knots. Just as long as your at 72 knots, full flaps, and vertically and laterally stable by 1000' above touch down zone, you're fine. I wouldn't be too worried about dragging it out. You're IFR, let the controller worry about spacing and everybody else, you've got more important things to worry about.

-10 Approach Speed

90kts for me with half flaps. This speed allows a nicely stabilized approach, either with A/P or by hand. I've found it to be the sweet spot for being able to smoothly transition to a missed approach while not being too fast to chop power and extend the remaining flaps once the field is in sight. Really short runways tend to have higher minimums, so it would be unusual to encounter a situation where a -10 can't be slowed and safely landed from a 90kt approach.

Lurking here (RV8) but just started a 10. Anyways, familiar with the airline stabilized approach criteria (that pays the bills). However in my previous career we flew whatever speed necessary to give dash 2,3,4 enough time to separate. So that all being said we routinely flew unstabilized approaches and never had issues, but we flew and practiced them. In my 8 I fly tight approaches VFR patterns. Just recently upgraded to IFR capable and I tend to try to in a similar manner as vfr as in keep extra energy. I start approaches at 150ish at the IAF then 120ish by 1000' slowing to 90 1/2 flaps by 500.

A speed where you are at the FAF with 1/2 flap. 85-90. Everything Jim Said. If your set up at the FAF, your work load is reduced. With landing assured or you go missed, your one click with the flaps.

I fly an ILS at 90-100kts, Half flaps, usually around 11.5" MP and full RPM which ends up being around 2300-2400.

Starting to do some approaches in my new 10 as well, and like half flaps at 95 knts with about 13" MAP at full RPM. Once field is in sight or just above mins, I put the last notch of flaps. Haven't had any problems slowing to 80 over the fence.

I haven't flown my 10 yet, but I can't imagine it would be a problem landing on 3000' if arriving at 200' AGL at 90 kts and half flaps. Should be no need to drop the additional flaps to make 3000'. Just practice this VFR to confirm with your plane and flying style. You can also slow yourself down to 80 knots at 500 AGL. Not technically stabilized but not hard to do with practice. I often change speeds inside the FAF during practice. I feel that I need to be prepared for everything. I have had numerous conditions that required major changes to pitch and throttle to stay on desired airspeed. You would be wise to not count on a stabilized approach in your practice. You want to be good at dealing with a lot of stuff coming down the GS. It's ok to want to maintain a stabilized approach, but if that is all you do in relatively calm conditions, you may be unpleasantly surprised in your preparedness the first time you need to shoot an actual in ugly wind conditions. Practicing airspeed changes on the GS will help you when you encounter major wind shifts and wind shear.

My plan in the 6 is to land with half or no flaps if the conditions leave me uncomfortable adding flaps, though I haven't had that situation yet. I also agree with Paddy that you probably won't find many LPV's with 200' DH on 3000' runways.

Larry

Bob, I fly a 7 but am safety pilot for a 10-Friend. He is on the edge of popping the flap breaker engaging 10 deg at the descent point. Right about 90 kts.

Just a suggestion - do some checks on yours to make sure you know where the breaker will pop vs speed and flap angle. This can give you a maximum speed point for the full approach.

Any less than 90 kt and 10deg seems floaty to me, but I am just an observer, mostly silent. :rolleyes:

Back