What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Add Mechanical Fuel Pump to O320-D2J

mlw450802

Well Known Member
I have an O320-D2J (no mechanical fuel pump) and I have an O320-E2D accessory case I would like to fit to the D2J.

Other than the obvious gaskets and new fuel pump, are there other internals that need to be purchased or is this even a feasible project?

Thanks

You need the appropriate accessory case, the pump, and the little rod that drives the fuel pump off of a lobe on the cam. I did that conversion on my -D2J when I built the engine for my airplane. There are no surprises.

Thanks Kyle.
I assume there are a range of cases that might fit. I'll try to find a list of interchangeable units.

-Mike

Gaskets, appropriate sealer, timing gear w/ cam lobe, push rod, manual, and someone to look over your shoulder, is all you need.

Check out the engine page of my website for some pictures.

BTW, you will have to remove the sump before you can get the accessory case off. If you want a forward facing sump, now's the time to install one.

One other thought, the accessory case in my pictures would only work with an oil screen, so I replaced that one with a third one that would accommodate an oil filter. Make sure your accessory case is what you want/need

Fuel Pump

The fuel pump pad on the accessory case may or may not be machined for the fuel pump. Divco can machine and drill the accessory case.
If you change accessory cases make sure the area at the aft end of the camshaft matches the one you took off. There are two different styles, the old style can be modified to the new style.
As anther poster said the pump DOES NOT run off the cam but off the eccentric on the left idler gear.
Also a good time to make sure your oil pump is the latest and greatest.

Any accessory case of an O-320 or O-360 that has the oil suction screen at the back of the oil sump and that has two mags will fit the O-320-D2J or any other 320 or 360 with the suction screen in the back of the sump that has two mags. As JRS said you need to make sure the cam gear is the same for both your engine and the donor engine. That is they both need to have either a bolt on cam gear and slinger or they both need to have an integral gear.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

The fount of knowledge on this forum is incredible and comforting when I have concerns.

I really appreciate everyone's willingness to help at all times.
Thanks to everyone.

-Mike

Any accessory case of an O-320 or O-360 that has the oil suction screen at the back of the oil sump and that has two mags will fit the O-320-D2J or any other 320 or 360 with the suction screen in the back of the sump that has two mags. As JRS said you need to make sure the cam gear is the same for both your engine and the donor engine. That is they both need to have either a bolt on cam gear and slinger or they both need to have an integral gear.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

I will add that the accy case on my 60's vintage O-320 could accommodate either oil suction method. It was set up for the oil pickup tube, but it also had the cast in plumbing for the forward sump feed as well (That passage had a threaded hex plug in it). I just need to remove the plug and make a plate to cover up the old oil input when I put on the D series sump.

Larry

Back