What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I put a 3 seater bench into RV-10?

kevinqu

I'm New Here
Hi, I just got my PPL and have been thinking about buying or building a plane for my family. I have three daugthers, 17, 10 and 5. Just wondering if anyone has done a 5 seater RV10 and whether it is doable or not. Called Vans technical support and did not get a definitive answer on that. Appreciate any information for anyone!!!

Welcome to VAF!

Kai, welcome to the best site for RV stuff on the web:)

Your idea of 3 kids in the back of an RV 10 will probably work as long as they are young-----------are you planning on buying or building??? If building, they may not fit by the time you are done.

The 10 is roomy and the rear seats are comfortable but adding a third person is going to make it really tight.

Best suggestions would be to find someone with a 10 and do a trial fitting with the kids.

Good luck, and again, welcome aboard.

By the time you are done the 17 year old will be finished college, left home....yeah you get the drift.

Even if you get the project done in 12 months like we did, I think the chances all of them flying together is remote. It is a romantic notion.

If you really need a family hauler, you need an A36 Bonanza.

I have a bench seat from flightline interiors with a 3rd seat belt and headphone jacks in the back. The plane is listed as a 5 seater in the paperwork, and insured for the same.

With that said, I have 3 thin daughters ages 18, 15, and 12 and its getting rather tight. 2 hour flights are OK, but 6 hour flights are a problem. I'm at the point where I need to leave 10 gallons behind with minimal luggage to stay below gross weight.

If you do decide to go this route, see if you can find an RV-10 to test fit the kids. Be advised that asking 3 girls and a wife their weights to calculate W&B will not be popular to say the least.

One final piece of advise ... get an intercom with "isolate" for the back seat if you decide to go this path.

Aaron

I'm thinking about the same thing but trying to figure out seat belt arrangements. How to attach for the middle person and also is a shoulder harness required?

Dave Ford
RV10 in progress

Lap belts for center is easy, just add the belts on the existing mounts for the regular positions.

Shoulder belt would be a bit more difficult ........

If I remember correctly, the regulations require shoulder belts for aircraft manufactured after a certain date, and I convinced myself this reg applied to experimentals as well.

For the lap belts, I simply used the existing mounts ... Some will argue they can't handle the extra load, but my rationale was that my three daughters don't weigh more than two large adults.

I'll try to take a picture or two of my shoulder belt setup and post here.

Aaron

AaronG, I know this is dragging up a post from long ago, but I'm thinking about going down the same path - need an airplane to haul me and the wife and 3 small (5,3, and 1 currently) kids around.

Do you have any photos and insights to add from your experience with a 5-seat RV-10?

Thanks,
Chuck

A few -10s are going together in the KC Metro area (I see you're in OP). While tight, you could make a 3-wide rear bench seat for the back (Cirrus does it....). The 5 year old would fit in the middle OK there for the time being, assuming small bodied kids. Given the age of your oldest, this might not be a problem for too long....

Or if purchasing a flying aircraft and extended family trips will be needed for 5 people + bags, then another aircraft (Cherokee Six, A36, 210, etc), might be more appropriate.

3 seaters for kids

Chuck;
It’s rather easy to make a three seat rear with the -10. All you need is a cover over the center that attaches to the seat pieces on the bottom and you add the extension with a L bracket and aluminum piece to fill the area on the seat backs.
I had a 14,10 and grandma in back seat with no issues for room, yes it was tight but the trip was short, for your three, younger, children it would be no issue. You share the attach point for the two seats to add another set in the center, the shoulder harness is pretty much a duplicate of what is done for the two back seats, just add another point. It can be done and it can be easily within CG. It took me 4 years to build the plane, my kids where about your age so, again no issue with size when completed.
Now my kids are older and we limit the flight to include my youngest friends, but not my oldest as they wouldn’t fit “safely” specifically probably see punches for space issues... but with that said two fit comfortably and one can lay down across the full 2.5 seats if only one is in back.
Personally I would do it again, there has been so much more benefit to having it across than two seats.
As for my seat layout. 1.5 seat and 1 normal seat- or one seat covers the full and gap and the other regular, that way I can still pull down one or the other side for storage expansion.
Sorry can’t locate pictures but send me a PM and I’ll see if I can send something when I find it.

Back