What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to Lose an "N" Number

TomVal

Well Known Member
I have held an ?N? number in reserve for the past 3 years, and now, it?s gone. I?ve been holding out on using it while vacillating whether or not to remove a perfectly good civilian style paint job for a military design of my dreams.

Well, I missed a renewal notice several months ago. My daughter-in-law had been assigned the task of filtering our mail on the west coast during our extended stay on the east coast. We are now back on the west coast with the unopened renewal notice in hand.

I nervously sped to the computer to check on the number. It?s gone and has been assigned to an aircraft in Puerto Rico.

Oh well, it?s a cruel world out there. I did choose another number. Maybe I?ll get lucky with this new number and someone will offer to paint my aircraft in exchange for the number?this is how my friend got his award winning L-19 painted!:rolleyes:

That sucks.

I'm paranoid about that too... I have recurring reminders on my work calendar, google calendar, and fridge calendar. ;)

What was the "N" number?

I have held an ?N? number in reserve for the past 3 years, and now, it?s gone. I?ve been holding out on using it while vacillating whether or not to remove a perfectly good civilian style paint job for a military design of my dreams.

Well, I missed a renewal notice several months ago. My daughter-in-law had been assigned the task of filtering our mail on the west coast during our extended stay on the east coast. We are now back on the west coast with the unopened renewal notice in hand.

I nervously sped to the computer to check on the number. It?s gone and has been assigned to an aircraft in Puerto Rico.

Oh well, it?s a cruel world out there. I did choose another number. Maybe I?ll get lucky with this new number and someone will offer to paint my aircraft in exchange for the number?this is how my friend got his award winning L-19 painted!:rolleyes:

I am hoping that a hurricane will sweep that guy's aircraft into the ocean and I can recover the number!:D

Unfortunately, that is how I got mine. I lived in Puerto Rico and the plane was destroyed.

Not that it would have helped Tom's situation, but this is a good opportunity to remind everyone that reserving an N number costs $10/year and registering your airplane costs $5 every 3 years. You can register as soon as you get the bill of sale from Van's (which you can get after you take delivery of your finishing kit).

My only concern was that the state tax man would come calling, but in Washington there's an exemption for aircraft without an airworthiness certificate.

-Rob

Also, we are all going to have to register our airplanes in 2011 (I think). They are so screwed up in the Registrations area having lost ownership of a huge number of airplanes, that they have to wipe the slate clean and ask us to reregister. We will be given a window of time in which to reregister, I think it is 90 days. The time windows will be scattered so everyone is not trying to do it at the same time.

.... but in Washington there's an exemption for aircraft without an airworthiness certificate.

-Rob

Rob, the Washington exemption is for the annual Washington State registration - which is administered by the WaDOT. Washington State Use Tax - administered by WaDOR - is the one-time sales tax. WaDOR watches the new aircraft registrations and may send a tax bill, even though you only have a cardboard box that says "$$$ airplane parts $$$". I doubt the government understands the difference between a cardboard box and a flying airplane.:eek:

Another problem with registering an aircraft before it is finished...

If for some reason you decide to sell the project, it will now be treated like an airplane.
I had a friend who registered his RV-9A project, got Alzheimer, sold the project. Before all the paperwork was done, he forgot he sold it. Even though his wife had power of attorney, we still had a heck of a time getting the paperwork straightened out.

This thread also serves to point out that if the N-Number you wanted wasn't available when you reserved one, it pays to keep looking at the database during your build - things change! Before we even bought the RV-3 kit, we found a nice N-number for it, and have been keeping it reserved. Recently, Louise found two of them that we liked better that came available (both off of de-registered planes - I don't think we stole them from anyone...), so the one we had we will let expire at the end of this month...

Bottom line is that the database is dynamic!

Paul

LOL!!!
Understand. :) I was just thinking, that on the slim chance I know him, or one of my pals knows him, something could be done about it... like maybe park it closer to the ocean or something... <BG>

Dennis

I can't tell you...I am hoping that a hurricane will sweep that guy's aircraft into the ocean and I can recover the number!:D

Last edited:
NX NC NR NL

I heard a rumor earlier this year that the feds were considering the use of new/old registration numbers to be used on aircraft. The old designation of NX for experimental, NC for commercial, NL for Limited (maybe LSA could use this one?) NR for Restricted exibition or ag stuff.. NG for Gliders, NS for state owned etc.. etc.

IF they did that, It would surely make personalize registration numbers alot easier to come by..
It would really help classify all the aircraft. Open up lots of numbers and just look really freakin cool having an X in your number like NX7A.

Regarding the "NX" - you can already use that prefix if your aircraft's design is of "a certain age" (Mel can fill in the details - I know the RV-3 qualifies). You just use "NX" instead of "N" in front of the digits you reserve, so I don't know that it will increase the available pool.

Paul

Would using "NX" in the number on the exterior mean that you wouldnt have to put the word EXPERIMENTAL in the interior?

Also, we are all going to have to register our airplanes in 2011 (I think). They are so screwed up in the Registrations area having lost ownership of a huge number of airplanes, that they have to wipe the slate clean and ask us to reregister. We will be given a window of time in which to reregister, I think it is 90 days. The time windows will be scattered so everyone is not trying to do it at the same time.

So, and this is a purely rhetorical question, how'd they know who and what address to mail the registration materials to if they've "lost" the ownership information?

Regarding the "NX" - you can already use that prefix if your aircraft's design is of "a certain age" (Mel can fill in the details - I know the RV-3 qualifies). You just use "NX" instead of "N" in front of the digits you reserve, so I don't know that it will increase the available pool.

Paul

The certain age it 30 years --

45.22 Exhibition, antique, and other aircraft: Special rules
b) A small U.S.-registered aircraft built at least 30 years ago or a U.S.-registered aircraft for which an experimental certificate has been issued under §21.191(d) or 21.191(g) for operation as an exhibition aircraft or as an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with §§45.21 and 45.23 through 45.33 if:

(1) It displays in accordance with §45.21(c) marks at least 2 inches high on each side of the fuselage or vertical tail surface consisting of the Roman capital letter “N” followed by:

(i) The U.S. registration number of the aircraft; or

(ii) The symbol appropriate to the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft (“C”, standard; “R”, restricted; “L”, limited; or “X”, experimental) followed by the U.S. registration number of the aircraft; and

(2) It displays no other mark that begins with the letter “N” anywhere on the aircraft, unless it is the same mark that is displayed under paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

Note that 2 inches is the registration number size required.

And under 45.23, this section lets you drop the "experimental" if you have NX, I believe (my highlight)...

(b) When marks include only the Roman capital letter “N” and the registration number is displayed on limited, restricted or light-sport category aircraft or experimental or provisionally certificated aircraft, the operator must also display on that aircraft near each entrance to the cabin, cockpit, or pilot station, in letters not less than 2 inches nor more than 6 inches high, the words “limited,” “restricted,” “light-sport,” “experimental,” or “provisional,” as applicable.

All of the regulations are here...

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex....1.3.22;idno=14;cc=ecfr#14:1.0.1.3.22.3.363.2

Last edited:
Joe Norris Tales from the DAR Side

So, for those homebuilts that are included in the special rules allowed by ?45.22, you could display the N number as ?NX? followed by the registration mark. When displaying ?NX? in the registration mark, you aren?t required to display ?experimental? near each entrance.

Joe Norris, in his Tales from the DAR Side article from the EAA newsletter.

The aircraft must be at least 30 years old or a "replica" of an aircraft at least 30 years old.
The "X" does not show up in any paperwork and is NOT part of the registration call sign.
It simply replaces the "Experimental" placard otherwise required.
The RV-3 and -4 are eligible at this time.

There is an N-number God!!!

I have held an “N” number in reserve for the past 3 years, and now, it’s gone. I’ve been holding out on using it while vacillating whether or not to remove a perfectly good civilian style paint job for a military design of my dreams.

I nervously sped to the computer to check on the number. It’s gone and has been assigned to an aircraft in Puerto Rico.:rolleyes:

Well, three years ago I posted the above. Today it was time to renew a secondary N-number. I decided to take a peek at my previously lost N-number which had been assigned to another aircraft. Surprise:D Surprise:D, my absolutely all-time favorite N-number was now shown as available. My hands were shaking as I typed in my N-number request…now nervously waiting for confirmation.

My guess is that my previously reserved N-number was assigned to an aircraft that had been wrecked (swept into the ocean) or more likely, it was sold and registered in another nearby country.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out

I'm glad it worked out for you Tom. I almost lost my reserved number last year when I lost track of the renewal. I was fortunate that it was still available when I realized my mistake.

n numbers

I guess I never got that excited about an n number. I just requested the lowest number that ended in CM and took my chances.

Chris M:)

Okay, now can you tell us what the N number is? ;)

The number is "7747". i may not have it.:mad: My initial N-number inquiry today was just for the subject number. The website stated that the number was available. However, later I re-entered the inquiry checking a range of 77XX N-numbers. On that search, it showed the status of 7747 as "requested". I don't think this website updates in real time so I fear that someone has a pending request ahead of mine.

As an aside, today I renewed my backup N-number "7787". If any VAF'er is interested in this number, I would be willing to release it. Send me a PM if interested.

Last edited:
Well, three years ago I posted the above. Today it was time to renew a secondary N-number. I decided to take a peek at my previously lost N-number which had been assigned to another aircraft. Surprise:D Surprise:D, my absolutely all-time favorite N-number was now shown as available. My hands were shaking as I typed in my N-number request?now nervously waiting for confirmation.

My guess is that my previously reserved N-number was assigned to an aircraft that had been wrecked (swept into the ocean) or more likely, it was sold and registered in another nearby country.

Or somebody also missed the renewal notice.

:cool:

I had an N number reserved 104EV. (My wife's name is "Evie" and the project became "ten for Evie"). I dutifully re-registered for 3 years but on the fourth I was late by a month or two and sure enough it was taken.
N24EV was as close as I could get. After a year or so I got the idea to track down the new owner to see if they wanted to trade. Turns out my preferred number is on an Evergreen King Air in Afganistan working "special assignments" for an "undisclosed client".

So now absent the odd SAM, I'm trying to convince my dear wife that "In to Evie" is even better still. Any wife who allows her hubby to build an RV deserves recognition.

They run behind...

I also missed renewing my N number last spring and did not realize it until this fall when I was playing around looking at available N numbers and saw mine! A quick request was put in and after several nervous days, nothing - still showed available. I googled around and found a phone number and called - a very nice woman said they were running about 6 to 8 weeks behind! She did however look up my number and told me I was first in line and I would be getting the notice in a few weeks!

And there was a post in VAF once that had a neat N-number search, but I can't seem to find it now. Anyone?

Anyway, good luck!

I also missed renewing my N number last spring and did not realize it until this fall when I was playing around looking at available N numbers and saw mine! A quick request was put in and after several nervous days, nothing - still showed available. I googled around and found a phone number and called - a very nice woman said they were running about 6 to 8 weeks behind! She did however look up my number and told me I was first in line and I would be getting the notice in a few weeks!

And there was a post in VAF once that had a neat N-number search, but I can't seem to find it now. Anyone?

Anyway, good luck!

It is all on the FAA website. I always renew mine online to avoid the paperwork. Remember, the government thinks we are all terrorists until proven different, they will slow and check all mail. Most of the government systems online (healthcare notwithstanding) works pretty well. It does not matter when you renew, the expiration date is moved a year, so you lose nothing to renew early. You have 30 days grace before they drop the hold and release the number again. Because of this thread I renewed mine yesterday, online. That way you get instant documentation.

Here is the inquiry link, bookmark your renewal site.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/nnum_inquiry.aspx

Sorry for any confusion

It is all on the FAA website. I always renew mine online to avoid the paperwork. Remember, the government thinks we are all terrorists until proven different, they will slow and check all mail. Most of the government systems online (healthcare notwithstanding) works pretty well. It does not matter when you renew, the expiration date is moved a year, so you lose nothing to renew early. You have 30 days grace before they drop the hold and release the number again. Because of this thread I renewed mine yesterday, online. That way you get instant documentation.
Yes, that is where I went, and where I re-requested my previously reserved N number. However, it takes that site weeks before it shows up as "reserved" - that's what I was referring to... sorry I confused anyone.:eek:
The post I referred to was a way to search for specific combinations and showed all available at one time instead of searching one by one on the FAA website.
Just trying to help!

Last edited:
Yes, that is where I went, and where I renewed. However, it takes that site weeks before it shows up as "reserved" - that's what I was referring to... sorry I confused anyone.:eek:
The post I referred to was a way to search for specific combinations and showed all available at one time instead of searching one by one on the FAA website.
Just trying to help!

Melinda,

Try this:

http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/NN/reserve.aspx

or this:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/nnav_inquiry.aspx

How to Lose an N-Number

Here at Stead (RTS), home of the Reno Air Races, a guy, 3 hangars down, lost his N-number. It was on a 1976 C-182P, and he didn't know it until he ask a friend of mine to do an annual. He works heavy construction projects around the western US and had not flown his Skylane for 4 years. He recently retired and decided to bring the C-182 up to speed and start traveling. He was floored that the FAA took his N-number, he knew nothing about the re-registration program. I guess there is always 10% that don't get the word. Too bad, it is a nice looking airplane and he is an ok guy, just not around very much for last 4 years or so. He said he worked every job he could find and long hours, 7 days a week, to build up a "nest egg" to pay everything off and travel once he retired. He checked and the N-number is taken. The last time I talked to him he was mumbling something about "duct tape". Dan

It's a good thing for me the FAA sends out renewal notices for registered aircraft. I just got mine stating I have until the end of Feb. to renew mine which would otherwise expire 4/30. It's hard to believe 3 years is already up.

For my RV-12 build, I taped the FAA letter reserving that number to the -12 tail. Now I just have to remember to read it! :)

Mine is due in January. I will mail the paperwork in about three weeks.

I did get the early notice then another a few days ago. I think that the newest letter only mentions mail-in reregistration.

Building the -10, I reserved N102KT (-10 to Katie) in memory of my mom who passed away of lung cancer at the age of 58. Seemed like the right thing to do for a woman who raised me in such a way that I have the ability to do what I do in life. When the N number was about to get applied to the panel during the paint process by Aerotronics, I thought...I should double check my registration! I did and was surprised to see my number registered to another aircraft! I ended up contacting the registered owner and he gave me the N # back in exchange for a donation to the American Cancer Society (for my mom) and one to the Alzheimer's Society (for his mom). I thought it was a neat end to an otherwise disappointing FAA experience.

For those going through the reservation process, I expected to receive a renewal from the FAA prior to the annual renewal but never did. My fault for not documenting the date and being proactive (although a bit more flexibility from the FAA would be nice :eek: )

Last edited:
Got It!

I lucked out and got my previously lost n-number from 3 years ago back. I am curious what happened to the Puerto Rico based aircraft that held my number. I joked at the time that maybe a hurricane would sweep it into the ocean. I checked the NTSB accident database but nothing was reported. The other possibility is that perhaps the aircraft was sold and registered in another country. At any rate, I am pleased to have recaptured the number.

I have held a second number in reserve, N7787. I will let this number expire or if someone is interested in it, I will release it to you.

Regards,

End of Journey

After regaining my previously lost n-number from over 3 years ago, yesterday I had the pleasure of officially affixing the number on my airframe.

photo-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back