What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A RV-7 can be used to haul freight too!

ao.frog

Well Known Member
Today, I discovered that my -7 is a great cargo-plane, in addition to all the other missions you can do with it.

Here's the background:
A couple of weeks ago, I bought a new trailer for my car.
It came with steel rims and since they'll corrode rather quickly, I decided to go with alu-rims this time.
(Besides: a true rivetpunder prefers aluminium over steel any day, right??)

I found a dealer who had the correct type of rims and tires, so I ordered four wheels from him.
His shop is about 3 hrs drive away, so a 6 hour drive just to pick up some wheels was out of the question.

He gave me an estimate of the shipping-cost: about 1000 NOK (170 USD) and that was pretty expensive.

It's always nice to have a good excuse to go flying, right?
I got an idea: his shop is located about 5 min drive from a 700 metres grasstrip, so I asked him if he could deliver the wheels there. He said sure and we decided a time and date: at noon today.

I flew up there in 25 mins, met the guy and he had the wheels with him:

Here, the cargo is ready for loading:

A few minutes later, the wheels where loaded: two in the front and two in the back:

Soon everything where covered up, (had to protect the nice interiour) strapped in and secured:

Then, there was time for the 25 min return flight, the 20 min drive home from the airport, gather a few tools and get into the driveway.

Here's a "before-pic":

Half an hour later, the result was this:

Summary: for about 23 litres of fuel (cost about 345 NOK), I reduced the shipping cost with more than half, got two flights done and enjoyed myself at the same time!

Hard to beat ..... life with a flying RV is a good one..... :)

PS: a footnote: he said he had been in the tire-business for many years and had customers pick up wheels with all kinds of means: cars, trailers, tractors, ATV's and even a bicycle once! But he had never had a customer come in a airplane before....

When I told him that me and some friends had built it in a garage, he was truly amazed.... in fact; he took some pics and details of the plane and was going to send it all in to the local newspaper!

Ain't life grand...

Last edited:
Nice report!

Thank you, Alf...or is it Olav...or is it Mr. Frog?

Nice report...nice tires and wheels...nice garage...nice airport...nice SUV...very nice trailer...and of course a very nice RV-7.

Thanks again! The photos really help to tell the story.

Construction equipment too

Today I hauled a 1750 KW generator. Had to remove seat to do it, but couldn't get it to fit under seat back support/cross member, but still lots of clearance for stick. Sorry didn't think to take a pic.

Steve

Never transported tires but there was this one time ...

75468707.336.255.jpg

Good Show Alf!! Right you are. These puppies are very versatile & practical means of transportation besides being just plain FUN. :D

I regularly make the 20 minute flight to Aircraft Spruce east to pick up the tubing, wood, and anything else I need for my Hatz biplane project. The RV9 is a great freight hauler. :)

You are so right guys...

.... these birds are truly amazing!

I got it in the air summer 2008, but I'm still amazed of this plane.
It is truly a "aluminium-wonder".

Needless to say, I'm VERY happy that I decided on a RV when looking through all the different planes for homebuilders back in 2005 :)

Don: I go mostly by "Alf Olav" among friends, but I've learned to answer to anything.

For example: when I joined UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training) in USAF as a Norwegian AF student "way back when" (1977), my US classmates thought "Alf Olav" was way too difficult to pronounce. Therefore they quickly put a nickname on me: "You'll be Kermit this year!", they said.

That name has been with me ever since and it's now the name of my second -7, which is soon ready for final assembly.

Last edited:
Trailer-sizes

Re "biggest road-case": the trailer I've just bought, the 4310 A, has the following specs:

Inside length: 310 cm
Inside width: 170 cm
Cargo weight: 1595 kg

Side-height: 35 cm + another 35 cm with a extra set of sides.

Total length: 466 cm
Total width: 174 cm
Total weight: 2000 kg

This is plenty big for my use, but the manufacturer, Brenderup Trailers has ALOT of different trailers in their inventory: boats, horses, cargo-transporters etc etc

Among them is their biggest cargo-trailer: the 5420.
NOW we are talking about a BIG road-case!
Check it out on this link:

http://www.brenderup.co.uk/Default.aspx?ID=2715&PageNum=6

This thing can take on a RV easily, (wide and long enough) but it's too big (and expensive) for my use.

Today I hauled a 1750 KW generator. Had to remove seat to do it, but couldn't get it to fit under seat back support/cross member, but still lots of clearance for stick. Sorry didn't think to take a pic.

Steve

1750kW ??? Are you sure? :eek: A mighty RV load that would be.:D

perhaps 1750 watts.

I've used my RV cargo hauler once when I had to pick up my skis following a tuneup.
It would have been a 2.5 hour RT drive or a 40min RT RV flight.
All worked out well after I dropped my passenger seat down to enable the skis to fit. It was a close call but was successful.

Incredible machines:)

Last edited:
Back