What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G'day!

Red_Baron

G'day VAF,

I've just signed up after visiting the Australian International Airshow 2011 held at Avalon Airport, Victoria. I've been thinking about building a plane for some time and had toyed with a few different types. I kept coming back to an RV-7 and after looking at a particularly sweet example at this airshow, and talking to a few of the SAAA guys (I guess they are like the EAA in the States), I reckon I've made my mind up.

I've just ordered the preview plans and DVD info pack for an RV-7 from Vans. Fedex are telling me they are going to arrive in a few days. I'm getting really excited about it and have a million things buzzing through my head.

Very keen to hear from any VAF members located in Australia. I usually fly out of YBUN or YSEN so if anyone is local feel free to drop me a line. I occasionally get across to YLED when I'm in Vic.

Looking forward to the journey!

Cheers,
Gav

G'day VAF,

I've just signed up after visiting the Australian International Airshow 2011 held at Avalon Airport, Victoria. I've been thinking about building a plane for some time and had toyed with a few different types. I kept coming back to an RV-7 and after looking at a particularly sweet example at this airshow, and talking to a few of the SAAA guys (I guess they are like the EAA in the States), I reckon I've made my mind up.

I've just ordered the preview plans and DVD info pack for an RV-7 from Vans. Fedex are telling me they are going to arrive in a few days. I'm getting really excited about it and have a million things buzzing through my head.

Very keen to hear from any VAF members located in Australia. I usually fly out of YBUN or YSEN so if anyone is local feel free to drop me a line. I occasionally get across to YLED when I'm in Vic.

Looking forward to the journey!

Cheers,
Gav

G'Day and welcome to the best RV website around, Gav! Keep us informed on your progress, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

But do keep in mind that you'll probably get more answers than you think you will... :D

Welcome Gavin...

...and congratulations on a wonderful choice of airplane. Just wait 'til you get to ride/fly in one!!

Best,

Hi Gav

I bet that 7 you were looking at was VH-JWC.
Won best metal sport aircraft at the show. Congratulations Jon C....
If your over in Melbourne again drop us a line as we have several RV's in the hanger at different stages of build including JWC.
Best of luck with the future project.

Mick H

Wecome Gavin, I'm in Mudgee NSW but haven't started as yet, ordering the 9A emp kit soon as I retire in July.

Pete

Hi Gavin,

I started flying lessons in Bunbury some 20 years ago. I now live in Brisbane.
Im often In WA each year or so , as I go down to Busselton to visit my mum.
While the AUD is so high, go for it !
You can follow my progress , if you click on the link in my Signature.

Welcome to VAF

Welcome

Hi Gavin,

I am from Brisbane also.

I purchased a RV7 Tail kit in November last year.

Take the plunge and start the Dream.....

You wont regret it

Jay

Thanks

Thanks guys. Had a great chat to a guy at Lethbridge today who provided some valuables insights from his experiences in building two RV-7's. Heading back home soon and will start setting up the shed! Will keep you posted on progress :)

rv 7a ybun

Hi
I fly at ybun also.(once or twice a week)
Im doing a 9a.I just got the engine a fuel injected 320.I will fly the 9 as a nose wheel for a for a while then convert it to a tail drager so I can get it in to my farm in Victoria.
I spend alot of time in wa and victoria.
While the dollar high get all your tools from bob averys in the states.Use ebay alot too for good snap on stuff etc. The tooling up process takes time also.
You may like to look at kitlog pro the software for logging your building progress.
regards
jono

You'll spend a lot of time at VAF.....

Hi Gavin

Good choice. As per Mick's message above - you were probably looking at my RV-7 at Avalon (VH-JWC) because I believe it might have been the only one on display?!. Unfortunately I couldn't spend much time at the show due to other commitments over the weekend but hopefully you enjoyed it.

As per Mick's invitation - if you are in Victoria you are welcome chase one of us down if you want to visit the hangar (we are based at Little River which is near Avalon). If I am around and weather and time are on my side I'll organise to take you up for a fly.

Enjoy the indulgence - you won't regret it.

Cheers,

Jon.

I've taken the plunge

Well, I've done it...

RV-7 Empennage Kit ordered. RV Builders Kit from Cleavelands ordered. Work space in the shed cleared. Tool bench made. Power tools bought. Just need to pick up the new air compressor, make my main work table and wait for the kit to arrive.

Awaiting shipping costs for the fuse, wings and finish kits and then I'll order them too. Next week hopefully.

Les, Jono - I'll be down at YBUN first thing Saturday morning to start my RAAus to GA conversion with Lloyd. If you're around I'll pop in and say hi!

G'day Gavin,

FWIW, ACI Shipping docked me around $2,500 AUD for a complete -9A QB to Sydney, with pickup at their warehouse. Vans/ABF(?) was several hundred more, but would likely be a little faster overall. And make sure whoever you use does not charge you Customs Duty. Airplanes and airplane parts are duty free. Still gotta pay GST though.

If anyone's in the NSW Central Coast area, they're welcome to stop by and look over my progress. After the 9th April though - that's when the kit arrives. :D

Last edited:
Me too

Hi Guys,

I am just about to order a kit.

I am getting married next year so I am spending money like there is no tomorrow and it has delayed the purchase of my toy but it will be soon.

I operate out of Moorabin.

Drop me a PM if you ever this way.

Back