What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sharing the RV Grin

Wish I could Turbo!

Wed AM and I"m in Burlington NJ, gloomy sky. At least it isn't cold. Would rather be flying across central FL......

Ryan -

Check in before the end of the week. We're always going somewhere on Sat or Sun.

RV Grin story

Last weekend my flaps quit working on my -7A. They had done the intermittent thing a couple times in the past month but bumping the switch multiple times got them working again. I made a note to check out and probably clean the motor in a couple months during the annual. Luckily they quit in the up position while flying back to my home base (Bisbee, AZ, P04). Took a second try on the approach to get 'er slowed down enough to do a no-flap landing. (These things don't want to slow down, especially with a fixed-pitch wood prop!) Anyway, Friday I removed the motor, cleaned it up, and pronounced it good to go. Saturday I made a local flight to some of the local airports and as luck would have it, ran into a buddy who I've flown some Young Eagles with but haven't seen for a couple of years. I gave him a ride along with some stick time and when we got back, he couldn't quit raving about everything about the aircraft. Made me proud. His friend asked him about the big grin he had. He replied as the grin got wider, "Well, it sure the heck ain't no Cessna grin!" Cracked me up. He used to own a C182 but he's now planning on building an RV. What a surprise.

New Paint RV Grin

This RV Grin signifies what I would now call a completed airplane. And she's beautiful. I cannot recommend highly enough Denis Stefanek at Euroairaviation, if you need to paint your RV. I was in and out in one month. He does quality work for a very reasonable, competitive price. He worked with my ideas that I had sketched out and refined and blended the lines with an artistic touch. He even went above and beyond in several areas, and did it for no extra charge. You can see all my photos - from start to finish on his website: www.euroairaviation.com Click on RV7 in the work in progress column on the top left. Here is a link to my album with more photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/BenCunninghamIII/RV7NewPaintJob?feat=directlink It is painted with Acry-Glo and has a clear coat with Titanium powder for a little extra sheen. Special thanks also goes out to Ralph Pawlak for the trip up to Reedsburg and back. I appreciate it Ralph.

DSCN3277.JPG

Last edited:
Nice

Very Good Ben. Looks great. I know it has been a long journey and I'm glad everything is finally working out.

That's one sharp looking bird Ben!

Denis,
Excellent portfolio on your website! What kind of coating is this?

bn32.jpg

Vlad,
it is Rust-oleum Hammered paint designed as high temperature resistant and extremly durable. Usable on gear and cowling interior.

Ben,

Gorgeous airplane...just beautiful! Great colors and design...and the numbers look very cool!

Nice job to you and Denis!!

And speaking of numbers, I notice you have a race number already on the wing! Hope to see you at a SARL event soon! :D

Happy flying, and very nice job!

Cheers,
Bob

Hey Bob,
I checked out the SARL link. That's some cool stuff. I need to sign up for that... (wife says, no racing!) I'll keep working on her. Thanks for your comments!

Negotiating Ammo...

Ben,

One might not call it a race, but rather a rally! ;)

In fact a few of the races (ooops) are named rallies (Great Canadian Air Rally). In many ways, its a X-C to a fun BBQ, followed by a 30-45 minute low-level navigation exercise, followed by another BBQ (with much lying, er, embelleshment and story-telling, going on)!

FWIW, we start fastest to slowest, which minimizes passing, and there are strong "gentlemen's" rules about passing when it does happen. As serious as the racers may be about getting speed out of the plane and flying a good course, the fun factor is a huge component, the folks are really nice, and a lot of spouses and families join in!

But I don't want to turn your New Paint RV Grin thread into a commercial...just sayin' you and your bride would be very welcome, and would have a good time!

Oh, and I think the gold paint is awesome...kinda like Rare Bear's original gold and white (and it is Race 77!)

Cheers,
Bob

Wow, Ben...congratulations! It really looks terrific---great concept and terrific execution. Mine is down now for a combination of it's first annual, a major instrument panel rework, and final painting. It'll be a couple of months yet.

Hope to see you at Sun n Fun next year and a chance to see it in person. Looks like some very nice touches there...

Shiloh...

Welcome to the flying club, take it easy and enjoy. I had hoped to make a short trip today with our RV-10 but had to cancel due to freezing rain at destination. Took my seven year old neice for a local hop in the SuperCub instead.
Congratulations Ron

thank you

Many thanks for all the posts that help build an RV. Its like having a personal adviser in your shop. :)

RV10

Wait'll you get the fairings on. If you think it performs now, you are in for a really pleasant surprise. You might consider adding some gear leg stiffeners before putting on the fairings.
Woodman
Turtle Wood Designs

Congratulations, Claude...

Are you on the KAYS airport near Cleve?

I could run down there if you need a little -10 'stick' time.

Best,

Geat Achievement

Kudos to you and your building team. Now find time to fly the wings off of it. Not literally.
Randy Means
RV-10 N595RV 49hours old
Merritt Island, Florida

The RV Grin! See and Post HERE!!!!

i thought it would be nice to gather up some of ower favorite RV grins and see them here. classical, serious, comical i am sure you guys will come up with some interesting shots. we are a lucky group of RVators with a grin that will last forever. keep pounding those rivets or go out and buy one. start grinning.

my pic was taken after a day at s n f 2010. i brought along tom gilmore who is a blast to have with me in the cockpit. master cfi and a gentlemen. we always have a great time. he is also handy with his camera.
img0509k.jpg

Back