What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight; while you were sleeping

fodrv7

Well Known Member
While most RVers where sleeping, Jon Clements' RV7 made it's first flight Down Under, from Little River, Victoria Australia.

Congratulations Jon,
Beautiful aircraft. It flies straight and true and proved to be faultless;
Well, except for the wrenched woman screaming "ANGLE, ANGLE" every time I reduced below 75kts.

Thank you for trusting me with your baby.

Pete.
vhjwc.jpg

Thanks Jamie / Andrew / Peter

Answering all in the one post...

Jamie: 25 hours test period.

Andrew: Little River is 7NM direct North of Avalon (just inside the 8 mile boundary). I own the property and it is a private strip. It is on the maps. You are welcome to visit.....2 flying RV's in the hangar (my 7 and Ken Brown's 8) and two projects under construction (Mick Haynes RV-7A and Andy McIntosh RV-10. Send me an email to [email protected] and I will forward airfield info.

Peter: I'll put the fairings and spats on for the next flight and will arrange some photos soon after. Keep an eye out for further post in the completed projects section....

Following is a superb shot of Pete James (test pilot) pre first flight......taken by Marty James (Pete's son) of Nalu Productions Australia

petejames1.png

I'm loving it....

Cheers

Jon.

Last edited:
Jon Clements' first flight

Brought a tear to the eye it did, the occasion coupled with a 20 knot northerly blowing off them thar hills reducing the chill factor to less than zero, an odd thing for Melbourne.

Anyone having trouble contacting Jon by email is advised to change the name in his link to "clements" and not "cements", Jon rushes a bit when excited. A well deserved one too Jon, it was a rush for all of us.

Me next or Mick?

Pete

Jon, congratulations, it's a beautiful plane!

Can you post a photo (or even better, some dimensions) for your canopy closing guide? I can just see it there in the photo of your test pilot. I'm looking for something better for my tip-up -6, and have seen similar guides once before but nothing I could measure.

Brought a tear to the eye it did, the occasion coupled with a 20 knot northerly blowing off them thar hills reducing the chill factor to less than zero, an odd thing for Melbourne.

Anyone having trouble contacting Jon by email is advised to change the name in his link to "clements" and not "cements", Jon rushes a bit when excited. A well deserved one too Jon, it was a rush for all of us.

Me next or Mick?

Pete

Getting pretty cheeky Bug!

I edited my post and corrected my email address (thanks for noticing).....I assume you will sleep better now.

Sounds like you are you racing Mick to the finish line...?

Jon, congratulations, it's a beautiful plane!

Can you post a photo (or even better, some dimensions) for your canopy closing guide? I can just see it there in the photo of your test pilot. I'm looking for something better for my tip-up -6, and have seen similar guides once before but nothing I could measure.

Hi Rob

I'll try to remember to take some shots for you when I am out at the hangar next.....i shaped them up from Nylon Blocks....pretty simple.

Cheers

Jon.

Back