What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Stab Spar "OOPS"

Well I guess I'm going to do my first order from the "list" today.

Long story short.....I trimed to much from HS-603PP (Both sides). Anyone know How much is too much and if there is a way to salvage this? length is called out in the plans but there is no depth.

Any help....

I don't think that's a show-stopper but a quick call to Van's will probably help put your mind at ease. If, in fact, Van's says it's not a strength issue but you still hate the sight of it, you could probably nestle a length of thin angle behind there, call it a doubler, and have people think it was intentional. I'm making the assumption that the structure is similar to the -6, with two spar halves joined in the center with bar stock doublers, and that the cutout you were making was relief for the elevator horns to have enough travel.

Well I guess I'm going to do my first order from the "list" today.

Long story short.....I trimed to much from HS-603PP (Both sides). Anyone know How much is too much and if there is a way to salvage this? length is called out in the plans but there is no depth.

Any help....

I say build on. The bar doublers will add lots of strength to your spar.

Buy new ones

Those parts are cheap - I know because I bought new ones when I was building my HS (and they weren't the last parts either!) :) Do-overs are pretty common when you're just getting started, and in the long run, it'll give you a good feeling. Having said that, I don't believe that you'd have a practical problem using those.

Mine probably need a bit more trimming, but I have 7/32 left. The control horn will run into HS-411 hinge brackets long before you get to HS-603. I don't know if I'll need to trim more later on for the push/pull tubes or anything else. My leftover flange looks roughly to be as tall as HS-609.

Van's instructions say you can trim all of the flange, but none of the spar. I'd go with whatever they reply back with.

Last edited:
Ha! This is funny; I saw this post so I went and looked at my H-S and saw that I never even finished that part of it (I built it almost 4 years ago), I guess I didn't really know what to do back then so I left about half the flange and never came close to the web. I still need to complete this when I final install the H-S and "adjust" the forward elev. stop. Sometimes it pays to be too cautious. You can always remove material but you can't put it back. One more thing to add to my list.

My advice: Replace the spars. In the meantime move on and work on something else. If I'm not mistaken, the H-S is the first thing you do.

Back