What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boost pump

Dogtail2

I'm New Here
Hi all,

I'm converting a Lyc 0-360 to fuel injection using the Precision Airmotive Siverhawk. I understand that a back up fuel pump is required in case the engine driven pump fails. But which make/model/type of pump should I get? They seem to vary in price from $700+ to $35.
Thanks

Pete

I used

Van's fuel pump kit. No problems at 50 hours. :) If you want the slickest/easiest install but ($$), I'd look at Andair's new pump. Saw it at KOSH. A really nice piece of work as is usual for Andair...

Its not

In case the mechanical fuel pump fails....Well it is but thats not the only reason.

The mechanical pump is prone to vapour lock and essentially you need an electric pump in series to be sure you can avoid the issue....And yes that means under certain circumstances you are relying on a single electric pump.

Fortunately this is a pretty rare event.

There are numerous pumps available that will work for you..You need a pump that you can pressure regulate with an external relief valve. You can get those from Airflow Performance. FI pumps can also be had from NAPA for about $130.

Depending on how much pressure you need, you can also put two 11psi Facet pumps in series to get 22psi if that will work for your application..These are pretty economical..Do a search on "Rocketbob" for some info on his fuel system if this interests you.

Frank

Van's fuel pump kit. No problems at 50 hours. :) If you want the slickest/easiest install but ($$), I'd look at Andair's new pump. Saw it at KOSH. A really nice piece of work as is usual for Andair...

Actually, the Andair set up seen at Oshkosh ran about the same $$ as the Airflow Performance systen and you bought the Andair valve seperately.

Thanks for the replies.
Still gathering info but leaning towards the new Andair pump.

If it was my choice, I would go for the Andair. It has a good reputation and it is a British company so any problems can be dealt with this side of the pond.

At what stages of flight are people using the boost pump?
I use it at 1000 ft AGL and below. At higher altitude I assume I will have time to select the boost pump ON if the engine-driven pump fails, or if I have vapour lock problems. At low altitude, I want to keep the list of things to do as short as possible, so I can concentrate on flying the airplane, picking a place to do a forced landing, run the engine failure and forced landing checklists, etc.

Lucas, Smiths, Andair?

If it was my choice, I would go for the Andair. It has a good reputation and it is a British company so any problems can be dealt with this side of the pond.

Not to slander Andair at all - just trying to be funny here. I can't resist remarking on the irony of the above quote. Any of us that spent our youth wrenching on British cars might not be so eager to put a fuel pump from a British supplier on an airplane.

Q - Know why the British drink warm beer?
A - They have Lucas refrigerators
Q - Why do they call Lucas the prince of darkness?
A - you must not have a British car. Don't drive at night, and don't drive too far.
Q - Know how to make a Smiths tachometer keep from reading double?
A - turn the engine off.

I restored an old Volvo 1800S, which had Smiths instruments. To get a clock that worked, I took a VDO clock and put the Smiths face and bezel on it.

Seriously, the Andair parts do seem like very high quality parts.

Depending on how much pressure you need, you can also put two 11psi Facet pumps in series to get 22psi if that will work for your application..These are pretty economical..Do a search on "Rocketbob" for some info on his fuel system if this interests you.

Frank

I've been meaning to post some test results, but at higher flow rates the cube pumps in series will not keep up with the required pressure for a fuel injection system. I was getting 22psi with the outlet blocked, but when flow was increased to anything significantly more than a few GPH the pressure dropped off to about 12psi.

Since then I've decided to go with the Rotec TBI on the 540, and will be test flying one soon on my O-360 RV-6. I won't need the higher pressures since the TBI runs at pressures typical of a carb.

Oh how sad

Thats seemed like the ideal system on paper Bob..I even thought of an improvement your system if it worked.

Oh well..Plenty of high pressure rollervane pumps to choose from do the best we know how.

Cheers

Frank

I'm leaning towards the Andair too but ACS doesn't sell the -F model or the Andair recommended filter to go with it.

At what stages of flight are people using the boost pump?
Bob,

I use it for take off and and landings and again when I switch tanks.

...Q - Why do they call Lucas the prince of darkness?
A - you must not have a British car. Don't drive at night, and don't drive too far.
My first car was an Sprit and I remember driving over some RR tracks one night and the headlights went out. Nothing I did would get them to come back on so on home I drove. I ran over a manhole cover and they came back on. I never did figure out what caused that.

Priceless!

That's rich. Perfect. Could not have asked for a better example of the fine legacy of those wonderful cars and years. Thanks Bill :)

Bob,

I use it for take off and and landings and again when I switch tanks.

My first car was an Sprit and I remember driving over some RR tracks one night and the headlights went out. Nothing I did would get them to come back on so on home I drove. I ran over a manhole cover and they came back on. I never did figure out what caused that.

I am installing the Andair pump and valve now. It is really nice!

I like it better than the Airflow Performance one because the filter is easier to change and the entire package is soooo much smaller!

:) CJ

I'm leaning towards the Andair too but ACS doesn't sell the -F model or the Andair recommended filter to go with it.

I got my Andair set-up right from Andair. Got the custom engraved caps with it too. Very high quality stuff and much mor compact than the Airflow Performance unit. I had it in about two weeks from the UK.

What do you guys intend to do if the Andair pump breaks down say 1000 miles away from home??

Do you have to wait two weeks for a replacement?

Frank

If it breaks down, I rent a car and finish my vacation.

I don't need an airplane to have fun.

I don't see it being any different than waiting for any other airplane part to arrive.

;) CJ

Back