What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeking advice - how much time left to build?

Nomex Maximus

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I am sure this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find answers. I am thinking about restarting work on my RV-7A QB after leaving it for over two years. It so happens that my working situation has me away from home four nights a week with nothing to do for the next year. So I reason, why not try to build this airplane that has been sitting in the basement by bringing it to where I live during the week.

So the question is, how much progress can I make / how much work do I have left to do for each phase? I have the empennage mostly done, just need to complete the elevators, trim tab and rivet the trailking edge of the rudder. My thinking is that I want to get to an intermediate state of completion where I have the airframe ready to accept an engine, instruments and avionics. How close can I get to this with three hours a night four nights a week for the next year do you think?

I have QB wings - how much time to complete wing work?

I have a QB fuselage - how much time to complete fuse work?

I still have to buy the finishing kit.

How much time will be required to complete the airplane up to the point of having it ready for the engine, instruments and avionics ?

Also, any RV builders out there in Cedar Rapids?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-- Nomex

Tough question. If you work on it 3 hours a night 4 nights a week, a lot of magic will happen. I'm doing a slow build but it has looked like an airplane (emp done, wings done, fuse done) for over a year now. I work on it at least 2 hours a day and will most likely be out of things to do by the end of the year.(everything except paint and firewall forward) A quick build saves a ton of work but there's a ton of work left.

I'd guess close to 2 years (at 624 hrs / yr) of work for you to be ready for the engine and ready to slide in avionics.

I think timelines and milestones are a good thing, but nothing will get the plane done except work. Do something every day you can and it will happen.

Last edited:
There are so many variables that more than a rough guess would be impossible. However, it is certain you will be farther along than if you don't take it with you. Are you trying to set a deadline or what?

reality TIME

Ever watch a bagger at the supermarket? Some can pack the groceries into paper or plastic as fast as the checker slides em down the chute. Other baggers can stand there scratching their head, conflicted over what item should be stuffed into what bag until the groceries finally stack up, the cashier completes the transaction and then has help the confused bagger finish out the process.

By the same token, your question presupposes every RV builder will (more or less) produce the same amount of work in 1 hour. That notion is hopelessly "idealistic" at best.

Some kit builders can be flying in 15 MONTHS or less. Other builders can take 15 YEARS and still not be finished. For instance, some builders can easily straighten and flute one wing rib in about a minute. Another guy can take 15-30 minutes to complete the identical task. How would you like to be the employer? Who do you think you would hire and which one would you fire? Fortunately, as RV builders the only time clock we are working with is our internal one. Enjoy the process for what it is and like other RV builders, simply work at whatever speed your own comfort zone permits.

OK, here's where I am at. In my enthusiasm of several years ago when I was learning to fly, I bought an RV-7A QB kit. I fully thought I'd be flying it in California four years ago. But then came a job change to Michigan, and I spent tons of time remodelling the basement to be a workshop but not really getting anywhere on the airplane. Then, I got involved in CAP and THAT took tons of time away from building... the project languished. Then, I got laid off and had to transition back into contract engineering and long distance commuting that took away all of my free time. Oh, and I adopted another daughter, so that had an impact too.

Looking back now, I probably bit off way more than I could chew in terms of the time required to build this airplane. I probably should have bought a simpler airplane kit, or maybe shouldn't have built at all. But, I have an airplane kit in the basement now, which, if completed would give me a very valuable commuting option for future employment. So I am trying to work through whether I can realistically get this thing done. It is a daunting task. I am trying to get a feel for whether I can get to a point where I could sort of see light at the end of the tunnel - that is, getting the airframe complete to the point of being ready for an engine. I also realize that it's gonna take another $40,000 to complete as well - and I am not quite sure where that will come from, but I don't think I need to spend much of that until after the airframe is mostly complete.

Last edited:
Nomex,
Sounds like you might be better served by buying an already flying airplane. Doesn't have to E-AB either. Take a look at TAP, ASO, or Controller and you'll find plenty of good, used aircraft of every make and model. Plus I think it's a buyer's market right now. As the others have stated, there's simply no way to estimate how much longer it will take you to finish. If you really want to fly and building is simply a means to that end, I vote sell your project, buy a used plane, and go fly. YMMV ....

Nomex,
Sounds like you might be better served by buying an already flying airplane. Doesn't have to E-AB either. Take a look at TAP, ASO, or Controller and you'll find plenty of good, used aircraft of every make and model. Plus I think it's a buyer's market right now. As the others have stated, there's simply no way to estimate how much longer it will take you to finish. If you really want to fly and building is simply a means to that end, I vote sell your project, buy a used plane, and go fly. YMMV ....

Nomex, I think Todd has offered some very good advice. I usually suggest people pursue their dream of building their own aircraft, but you obviously have serious doubt about your ability to fit this project into your lifestyle.

When the little voice in your head is yelling this loudly, you need to listen. :)

Also please keep in mind the "goal" you have tentatively set for having the airframe in one piece will only put you about half way to a flying aircraft. Do you have the wherewithal to effectively double the amount of time (and tripling the $$$$'s) you anticipate spending on hammering together the airframe?

Best wishes on whichever path you pursue,

Building a plane should be a pleasure . I dont see it as a means to an end, rather a journey of discovery and joy . If I had my 2 cents worth of say, Id have to agree with the others who say sell your kit and buy a flying plane.
Only you will know the answer.

...... so little time.

I agree. Sell the kit. Buy something already flying. Will you have the time to keep your piloting skills sharp? Do some serious soul searching.

Steve

PS
I was a CAP member for 14 years. They'll want more than ALL your time if you want to give it to them. I did enjoy it for the most part.

I gave up... sort of

I have almost finished up my 7-A, but I gave up and bought a Citabria to fly whyle building. It took two moves and as many jobs to get'er done. I found it VERRRRRRRY difficutl to try to work on the plane with all the distractions. It took 7 years but the RV7-A is something you just can't buy. Well I guess you can but I had concerns about the standards of another builder. If you do buy another one check it out verry carfully and be prepard to walk away from anythhing less than your standards. I don't think you will be able to maintain the motivation in your situation. Good luck and go fly.

I've been giving talks on this matter for quite a few years. One of the things I stress is that you should only build because you WANT to build, not because you HAVE to build.
If you build just to have an aircraft, you won't be happy in the long run.

There is a older guy at my airport who may be selling a 150 HP Cessna 150. Circa $25,000. If you sold your kit you may not have to spend much more to get that Cessna or something similar.

I see that there are a few more "sell" replies since I left this morning. I "mostly agree"!

I took 12 years to build mine, due to running a business and moving into a new house, landscaping, bedrooms and bathroom in the basement; and a little lack of motivation.........once and a while.

However, most everything was bought and paid for........at the beginning of those 12 years. Just the instruments, radios, seats, and paint came afterwards. If I had to look forward to many hours on the airframe, as well as coming up with another $40,000; I don't think I'd be ambitious enough.

If you are retired, have the upfront money, then that's one thing. Under those circumstances I could build another one too. But you might just get farther into the project while throwing lump sums of cash at it..........then wondering what kind of " endless hole" you've got yourself into! At that point, you'll usually get less than what's invested.

On the other side of the coin, now that my 6A is complete and flying, there is no way I'd want to give it up. It just hit 100 hrs in it's first flying year, and it's still as fun as day one! That's why I said "mostly agree".

edit: P.S. --- if I ever have the money to do it all over.............no way! I just run up to Afton, Wyoming and pick up a new Aviat Husky!!! :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Last edited:
Back