What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Sealing Question

bobby

I may have made an oops and am wondering if I need to drill out a few rivets on my firewall. The instructions say it is recommended to put some sealant between the 801-D angle and the stainless flange on the firewall. This is the one that goes across the top of the lower cutout I believe where the ramp will be later. I was planning on sealing the firewall after skinning that area of the fuse.

Some time passed between preparing all the firewall parts and riveting them. When I riveted them I forgot to put sealant under that piece of angle. Can this be effectively sealed later or should I drill out the rivets, put in some sealant and re-rivet the piece? I really don't like to drill out rivets if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Thanks,

I only sealed between the 801D angle and the 822PP floor. I can't see how oil can seap around the rivet heads. I also sealed everything around the 867 ramp when I installed that some months later.

Did you install the 822PP floor yet?

No. I'm only still assembling the bulkheads. I figured I'd seal at the location you did but was wondering if oil or fumes or something might be able to work its way up between the rivets. I thought maybe I could put a bead of sealer along the top edge of that angle if necessary but that might be a little ugly.

My fuse kit is older. It's not the -1 kit. It sat in the garage a few years while life was keeping me a little busy.

Back