What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Disabling Tosten grip switches on P2 side?

Loman

Well Known Member
I want to have the ability to disable the Tosten grip switches on the P2 side only, leaving P1 stick fully operational. It seems to be simple enough; just interrupt the common wires running to that stick with a switch mounted on the panel. However, the CS-8 model has two common wires, one for the top hat and the other for everything else. Do I need to keep these separate in a DPST switch or is a SPST good enough?

Is there a better way altogether?

I have a panel mounted PTT switch in addition to the two stick-mounted ones in case I have a passenger who is doing the radio work.

A simple DPDT toggle switch, “Pilot/Co-Pilot” that provided common ground connection. This prevents the co-pilot from operating stick buttons if not wanted, and provides the pilot with a backup if his stick buttons break.

Carl

Think about it

I think one needs to think about what happens if two switches are activated at the same time when the ground is “disconnected” via the new “disable” switch.

Just need a single pole single throw to interrupt the ground going to the right stick. I labeled mine, switch up(on) BOTH
And switch down (off) PILOT

I see no reason to interrupt the ground going to the left side so why add that failure point.

Just need a single pole single throw to interrupt the ground going to the right stick. I labeled mine, switch up(on) BOTH
And switch down (off) PILOT

I see no reason to interrupt the ground going to the left side so why add that failure point.

In the event of a stuck or shorted switch on the left side, you could flip the ground to the right stick and reach over...

That's the way I have mine wired. Pilot has a direct ground connection and the Copilot has a switch in the ground for the majority of the switches. The PTT has its own ground so both can be used all the time.

I don’t know how your stick is wired but I suspect there are two wires for your copilot push to talk trigger switch. Be sure you don’t mess that up and have it constantly transmitting.

I used the Pat Hatch UTRB module to control my stick buttons and find it really meets my needs.

PTT

Loman, I built my panel with the exact same configuration you describe, 2 Tosten grips and a panel mount PTT. All the grip switches are pulled to ground, so a single switch that provides ground to either grip (but not both) works perfectly. The panel PTT is connected separately, so works regardless of which grip is "active".

Works great - in fact all the way to Weston from Chicago and back without any issues! :)

My answer

My answer was just to not put a lot on the copilot side. They have PTT and ap disconnect.

I used a cat5e computer cable to run the wires forward, so there was only wiring for 8 channels. I ran out of room in the spar pass thrus and dont feel like drilling any more holes in the spar carry thru.

Pilot/Both/Copilot

I used a NKK M2024SS1W01 (SP3T) switch so I could toggle between having either the pilot, both, or copilot active. There are two "grounds" coming out of the Tosten grip that I spliced together after I got past the grip connector and then routed the ground wire (one for pilot and one for copilot) to the NKK switch and wired up the M2024 as an ON-ON-ON type switch per the documentation for the switch. The switch was then routed to my "forest of tabs" ground. I mounted the switch "sideways" so if the toggle was either to the left (pilot), middle (both), or right (copilot).

This way it didn't matter who was flying in what seat. If you have someone trying to get some experience in a RV and you don't want them pushing the wrong button, they can still sit in the left seat and you can control everything from the right seat.

Jeff

Back