What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 D2J fuel pump question

mlw450802

Well Known Member
I have an O320 D2J (no engine driven fuel pump provision) and was wondering if an adapter is available to use the vacuum pump drive pad for a mechanical fuel pump?
I don't plan on any vacuum driven instruments.

Thanks,

-mike

You could drive a rotary type pump, off that pad, as is. Not sure if there is a rotary type pump with that size mounting pad that will put out the low pressure a crab needs through.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Accessory Case

mlw450802 said:
I have an O320 D2J (no engine driven fuel pump provision) and was wondering if an adapter is available to use the vacuum pump drive pad for a mechanical fuel pump?
I don't plan on any vacuum driven instruments.

Thanks,

-mike

You can have your accessory case machined for the fuel pump and pump drive pin or locate another accessory case with a fuel pump pad. Either way you can make it work. :D

LifeofReiley said:
You can have your accessory case machined for the fuel pump and pump drive pin or locate another accessory case with a fuel pump pad. Either way you can make it work. :D
The engine has fewer than 50 hrs on a fresh overhaul and I am reluctant to tear it down. I need to get an overhaul manual to see what level of disassembly is required to get the accessory case off to a machine shop.

Thanks to you and Mahlon for your suggestions, though.

-mike

Rotary Pump

Mahlon

Is there a reasonably priced rotary pump out there? Suitable for FI?

The rear accessory case comes off VERY easily. Removing it will simply give you access to the various gears in the aft portion of the engine such as the mag timing gears, etc.

I also have a D2J. When I rebuilt it, I simply purchased a used accessory case along with the little fuel pump pushrod and (IIRC) one other component that was necessary to drive a fuel pump. I seem to remember a gear or something. In any case, converting the engine without a major tear-down would be a simple job and might take an afternoon to complete if you had all of the parts in hand when you started the job.

Correct

Kyle is correct here... You do not need to tear the engine down to remove the accessory case. Easy and not to much time involved. I got a nice used accessory case for $200.00. I sent it in for inspection with my cases and it came back with a clean bill of health... :D

Kyle Boatright said:
The rear accessory case comes off VERY easily. Removing it will simply give you access to the various gears in the aft portion of the engine such as the mag timing gears, etc.

I also have a D2J. When I rebuilt it, I simply purchased a used accessory case along with the little fuel pump pushrod and (IIRC) one other component that was necessary to drive a fuel pump. I seem to remember a gear or something. In any case, converting the engine without a major tear-down would be a simple job and might take an afternoon to complete if you had all of the parts in hand when you started the job.
Thanks Kyle, That's good news!
As I said, I need to purchase one of the overhaul manuals and then start shopping for the appropriate accessory case and parts.

-mike

LifeofReiley said:
Kyle is correct here... You do not need to tear the engine down to remove the accessory case. Easy and not to much time involved. I got a nice used accessory case for $200.00. I sent it in for inspection with my cases and it came back with a clean bill of health... :D
Darrell,
I sent you a PM.
-mike

zav6a said:
Is there a reasonably priced rotary pump out there? Suitable for FI?
New one outright is around 1500.00. If you had a core and got it overhauled it might be a lot cheaper. From the looks of it, it is likely less $$ to swap out the accessory housing, and gear.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

mlw450802 said:
The engine has fewer than 50 hrs on a fresh overhaul and I am reluctant to tear it down. I need to get an overhaul manual to see what level of disassembly is required to get the accessory case off to a machine shop.

Thanks to you and Mahlon for your suggestions, though.

-mike
Mike,

The disassembly is simple. I had to do this on my O-290 so I could add a fuel pump.

Check out the Engine Page of my web site for some pictures.

You don't have to remove the cylinders, only the sump and accessory case. This can be done while the engine is on the mount but it is much easier to have the engine off the airplane.

Buy the overhaul and parts manual from Lycoming and it will list the parts and torque values. FYI, the sump has to come off to get the accessory case off. Again, not a big deal.

Also $200

We also got a Yellow tagged one recently from an engine re-builder in PHX for $200.

As far as engine parts go, the accessory cases seem to be a bargain... :)

gil in Tucson

Back