What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flat Tire at Oshkosh

Bud K

Well Known Member
I arrived at OSH on Friday this year. Saturday morning, I went to retrieve something from my plane and noticed that the right main was flat. The Emergency Repair guys were wonderful. They loaned me a air tank which allowed me to air up and taxi to their place for further repairs. Turns out that my 3 year old Leak Guard tube had a slow leak at the mold seam on the sidewall. The guys at Emergency Repair said that they already had 12 flat tires before the show even started. Anyone else have any tire issues?

If you fly you get flats. 3 years seems a long time to have a tube in service, or a tire. I do enough landings and taxi that I have to change tires/tubes about every 1.5 years. Even though I grimace at the cost I replace the tubes when installing new tires.

Low tire pressure is the fastest way to a flat. The lower the pressure the more movement there is between the tire and the tube and they always fail at the same place; the sidewall.

I fly a 6A and run 50psi in all tires. My buddy with a 6 runs 40 in the mains.

No tire issues. My Michelin Airstops are going strong after ~10 years of ops. As for the repair station at Oshkosh, they sure helped my buddy with electrical issues late last week. Between towing their power cart to HBC, then helping tow the inop plane to their repair station, and then loaning tools and help - it was very nice dealing with those folks. Thanks to them!!

Flats

A few years back the guy beside me at kosh used a couple of the dog screw tie downs. (not allowed) He broke one off at the handle and it left a sharp piece of metal sticking up. He ended up taking off a day or so later and as far as i know it never got pulled out. It would be a serious job getting that out, and the grass was long.

I didnt really think on it much at the time with all going on, but have been sorry after that i didnt track down someone and ensure they knew. I am sure a ton of spikes like that get left in the ground at kosh. Cant imagine what they do to mowers and or tires. Even if hammered down, over the years would think they work back up.

:mad:

Yes, keep those pressures up! I'm running 40 psi all around on my -9A and I like to check the pressures every two weeks or so.

A while ago, I was flying with a friend on a flight of two. At the run-up area, we noticed that the other guy's RV had maybe 15 psi in the nose-gear tire...it was bulging very noticeably. We told him about it, but he elected to take off with us anyway. On the climb-out, he told us over the air-to-air frequency that his engine was making reduced power. We urged him to turn back and land immediately. Ultimately he did, but only after about five minutes of waffling.

Scary stuff!! Be safe out there. :):)

Besides a visual check on the tires before every flight, I check tire pressure every 60 days. I have the leakguard tubes on the mains and the berringer tubeless nose wheel. I found that the tires lost a minimal amount of pressure during 60 days.
Nose wheel: 50psi
Mains: 36psi

I have worked at the repair barn for the last 3 years. This was indeed the year of the flat tire. By day three we had over 25 tires. Some were the usual suspects, under inflation, bad previous repair etc. But there did seem to be a large number of tube failures that come apart and multiple cracks in the tube in the inner radius of the tire. A lot of these were manufactured in China.

Almost everyone there from Chapter 75 had been there for many many years. ( Chapter 75 has been providing this service for over 50 years). Everyone agreed that they do not remember that many tire probems in the past.

It would be a good idea if everyone would keep track of the tube failures they have and where the tube is made. By the time we realized it was a big trend this year it was to late to keep a record of where the tubes were made.

Just a reminder. The Repair barn does not actually provide a repair service. We assist in getting tools to you or towing your plane to the site where we can assist with more tools , air , battery charges, spark plug cleaners and can take you to Vendors like AC Spruce who have a large inventory of parts on hand. Small items such as cotter pins and some hardware is there but is very limited.

Big repairs are handled by the Aircraft owners own Mechanics or sent to the FBOS on the field. Of course if it is your Homebuilt you are the mechanic.

The people at the Repair Barn usually handle over 200 individuals assists each year.

I really enjoy helping people and 12 days I spend there is very gratifying.

Laz

Never had to use your chapters services, but thanks for being there and putting in time and helping all of us people that are unlucky enough to need you and your friends help. Much appreciated.

Just a reminder. The Repair barn does not actually provide a repair service. We assist in getting tools to you or towing your plane to the site where we can assist with more tools , air , battery charges, spark plug cleaners and can take you to Vendors like AC Spruce who have a large inventory of parts on hand. Small items such as cotter pins and some hardware is there but is very limited.

Big repairs are handled by the Aircraft owners own Mechanics or sent to the FBOS on the field. Of course if it is your Homebuilt you are the mechanic.

Laz, how far can an A&P go in providing or helping with repairs if they were to volunteer at the repair barn? Is that against EAA's policy for liability?

The Barn does not provide any help in that way. People do have their own Mechanics come and do work at the Barn or where the Aircraft is parked. We just provide tools and a helping hand at the direction of the owner. We do not work on peoples airplanes. There is a list of things that an owner of certified airplanes can do without an A&P and of course homebuilders can do their own work.

The Chapter 75 has some very strict rules about even how much we can assist someone.

Actually the proper name for the place should be Emergency repair assistance.

That flight should have been scrubbed at the sighting of the flat tire. Scary stuff indeed.

And this is one of the advantages of flying formation. The second-last pilot looks over the last airplane after he completes his run up, mostly for any evidence of oil or fuel under or on the fuselage, pitot cover removed, tires properly inflated, no shoulder harness loose ends flapping outside, etc.
The last pilot does this for the second-last pilot, then gives a thumbs up. The second-last guy then looks to the third-last airplane and the process is repeated, all the way back up the line to Lead.
Having enjoyed many trips flying with the Snowflakes, this is a hard habit to not employ even when not flying with them. Several times, I have jumped onto the ATC freq to advise pilots taxiing onto the runway that they still had a pitot cover on, that their flaps were fully down or that their elevator-trim tab appeared to be fully deflected.

Diddo on the Michelin tubes

I too have been using my Michelin No-Leaks or what ever they are called in the mains. I inspect them at every tire change and they look good , so I just throw in a bunch of talc and mount the new tires. 13 years with the same tubes, No prob. I check tire pressure every 3 months with only 2-3 lbs loss.
A different story with the front tires. the Lamb tires and tubes lose pressure quicker and need to be checked every month. I've had two flats on the front tire. Each time because the tire had low pressure and the tube perforated due to scuffing. The Lamb tubes are the weak link. Since I cut holes in the front wheel pant to check and inflate the front tire more often, I've had no problem. I use 35 lbs in the mains and 40 lbs in the nose.
PS: If some of you change your expensive Michelin tubes every 2 years, I might be interested in buying them.

LAZ

Thanks LAZ and all of the guys from Chapter 75 for loaning me the tools to get my tire repaired.

Good info on tire pressures. I usually run 32 psi since I fly off grass 90% of the time. I have to bump my pressure up a little.

Back