What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? ((Aug 6-9, 2021)

...getting it started.
v/r,dr

I flew down to KFRH French Lick IN today for the Pop Up BBQ. It food was definitely worth the trip:)....The guy in front of me bought 6 Pound of Brisket to take home to a friend and his family !!! I did the pulled pork and slaw option. They also had some home made BBQ sauce that was great, along with the store bought versions. I left early, but did get to oogle 2 other RV's that were beautiful, along with various "Store Bought" planes. Below are a few pictures. Note the TAS on my 10 flying slightly over squared on the way home. Love my 10 !!

Attachments

• IMG_4675.jpg
    IMG_4675.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_4676.jpg
    IMG_4676.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_4677.jpg
    IMG_4677.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_4678.jpg
    IMG_4678.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_4679.jpg
    IMG_4679.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_4684.jpg
    IMG_4684.jpg
    392.7 KB · Views: 399
Got in two landings in the pattern, flying from the right seat as I hadn't done that in a while. Wasn't sure if the clouds were going to roll in quickly like they sometimes do, so parked the plane, went into the hangar and finished putting away things from AirVenture trip. Also added a quart of oil. Not all that exciting.

Home

View attachment 14448Flew home to Vacaville CA from Oshkosh via Boston. Fabulous trip, 35 hours in 2 weeks. Thanks to everyone in Oshkosh that helped with the social events.

Attachments

• 24F3F2BE-FD6A-4C8C-896E-CD2C54F234A8.jpg
    24F3F2BE-FD6A-4C8C-896E-CD2C54F234A8.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 336
  • 2DE643F6-CC20-4143-99DD-907D886C483F.jpg
    2DE643F6-CC20-4143-99DD-907D886C483F.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 316
Larry
It was honor to meet you today. Your RV10 is one of the most beautiful airplanes I have ever seen. Inside & out.

My wife, Traci, said it was absolutely stunning & it was.

Again, Thank You for flying down & hopefully see you soon at our Fish Fry Fly-in.

Take Care & Stay Safe

Darren & Traci Kerns
RV7 N599DT
KFRH

Got in two landings in the pattern, flying from the right seat as I hadn't done that in a while. Wasn't sure if the clouds were going to roll in quickly like they sometimes do, so parked the plane, went into the hangar and finished putting away things from AirVenture trip. Also added a quart of oil. Not all that exciting.

Ed, you make me wonder if I should go fly from the left seat, I'm quite certain it still works. I always wonder why the line guy walks up to my passengers :eek:

Flew to Nowhere can't reach it due to the haze and turned around.

daily_pictures_-_1(1).jpeg

On the way back landed Somewhere for a break.

daily_pictures_-_1_(1).jpeg

Then flew to Elsewhere for refreshments.

daily_pictures_-_1_(3).jpeg

Went hiking after that. Saturday was not wasted :)

daily_pictures_-_1_(4).jpeg

Watched my son take his check ride in the 6A Saturday. It was a proud moment and the RV community now has a new Pilot. Kind of interesting that he knows nothing but the RV grin, as he has never been in a spam can. I let him fly the 10 a bit and he said, "This just isn't as fun to fly as the other plane." Next step is aerobatic training for him.

Larry

I completed my post-Oshkosh oil change and decided to make some baffle modifications while I had the cowlings off.

A quick test flight on Saturday morning looked promising in my quest to get cylinder #2 to be a bit cooler in climbs and cruise. Then I hung out for the local EAA chapter meeting and had my monthly allotment of donuts.

motivation

If this is not motivation, I dont know what is..
Gotta get my plane done
Gotta get my plane done
Ya the kids will miss me, but they'll get over it
Gotta get my plane done...

Larry
It was honor to meet you today. Your RV10 is one of the most beautiful airplanes I have ever seen. Inside & out.

My wife, Traci, said it was absolutely stunning & it was.

Again, Thank You for flying down & hopefully see you soon at our Fish Fry Fly-in.

Take Care & Stay Safe

Darren & Traci Kerns
RV7 N599DT
KFRH

Darren:

You're welcome !! Your plane is pretty "Sierra Hotel" too :).....It was a hoot. I'll be back. See you guys soon.

If this is not motivation, I dont know what is..
Gotta get my plane done
Gotta get my plane done
Ya the kids will miss me, but they'll get over it
Gotta get my plane done...

You are almost there John. Don't rush just come to the shop every single day :)

Friday and Saturday I helped a couple on their RV-10 build detach their match-drilled tailcone from the quickbuild fuse, deburr, dimple, then rivet the tailcone back on the QB fuse. I'm in the red shirt on top, bucking. Rich is on the bottom with the rivet gun. Dorada the dog is doing the QA.

Sunday, three of us flew our RVs from Essex Skypark (W48) to Blairstown Airport, New Jersey (1N7) to try out an airfield restaurant we had never been to before: Donna's Runway Cafe. It was excellent; beautiful flying day.

Attachments

• BLAIR_12.jpg
    BLAIR_12.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 266
  • BLAIR_13.jpg
    BLAIR_13.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 276
  • BLAIR_10.jpg
    BLAIR_10.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 283
  • BLAIR_11.jpg
    BLAIR_11.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
...getting it started.
v/r,dr

I upgraded my Garmin GTN 650 to the 650 Xi this weekend (made the mistake of going through the Garmin building at Oshkosh:)). The folks at Approach Fast Stack (highly recommended) was my choice for the transaction, because of previous purchases and their awesome support. Tim Hass has always been great to work with. The trade of my old unit made the deal just a little over $2800.00 difference for the upgrade. The pinouts are the same, so it's literally a swap of the boxes, and update the database. Worked like a charm. The graphics are better, and the processor is way faster. The boxes don't look much different on the outside, but when you turn things on, another leap forward:)....In the first picture, the new one is on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_4687.jpg
    IMG_4687.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_4689 2.jpg
    IMG_4689 2.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_4690.jpg
    IMG_4690.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 299
Brake Leak

Flight on Saturday scrubbed do to a puddle of 5606 under my left wheel.:eek:

Removed the wheel pant and discovered a cracked line, made up a replacement line and reused the fittings with help of the crew at W48. By the time it was repaired, weather had moved in so no flying.

Sunday, I flew formation practice with friends (RVBill & Chuck) from Essex Skypark (W48) to Blairstown, NJ (1N7). A little late breakfast and flight home.

Saturday - flew to KLZU for EAA690 pancake breakfast.
Monday - flew with my wife to KHXD (Hilton Head) to catch up with an old friend I hadn’t seen in 20 years.
Tuesday - flew home from Hilton Head, the flew to KGMU (Greenville Downtown) to take a knee scooter to my daughter who tore a ligament in her ankle. Then flew back home. 6.0 hrs of flying this long weekend.

Another Saturday morning of IFR instruction.

Partial panel work, and the RNAV18L @KDTO

Getting my confidence back... just need to retake the written (expired)

Replaced the left fuel drain with a new one. It wouldn't always seal after draining fuel. Then replaced the O-Ring in the offending item and tucked it away in the fly-away kit as a spare.

I also re-weighed the plane after installing a bunch of goodies since the original W&B was done and moving from a Lithium to a lead-acid battery.

The current W&B is now:
Left: 404 Lbs
Nose: 239.5 Lbs
Right: 398 Lbs
TOTAL: 1042.2 Lbs and a BEWCG of 77.63

This represents a 60 Lb increase and 1.07" aft change from the original weigh-in, however, in that time, the following have been added:
  • Dynon autopilot servos x 2
  • Second 10" SkyView screen
  • Dynon Transponder
  • Dynon ARINC Module
  • KLN-90B GPS
  • All wheel & gear fairings
  • FullRiver HC20 lead-acid battery (14.5Lb increase right here!)
  • Second seat frame & automotive seat cushions on both
  • First aid kit on the rear bulkhead
  • Cowling, wheel fairings & tail fairing painted.

Step 1:
Verifying the scales are accurate - or at least, agree with each other. Two agreed, one was 50g off. Close enough...
51369113423_be4153fb53.jpg

51369626894_87f794cdde.jpg

51369113288_8dcff42d8f.jpg

Step 2:
A couple of ramps, and the hook from a winch the hangar's original builder thoughtfully provided, to pull his '185 in, tail first...
51368130467_2e8d201fa2.jpg

Step 3: Centering it up.
51369626504_031ec92ee1.jpg

Step 4 weigh in time...twice, then average the weights. 400g difference in total BEW across the two weigh-ins. Close enough.
51369899495_2974c5448f.jpg

51369626679_25c95a80e2.jpg

Step 5. Maths time.. I'll spare you the that. I cheated and used Excel!

Back