What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Quickbuild Primer

I believe it is a SW wash primer, at least that?s what I remember from when I asked 16-17 years ago.

It is (or was in 2009 anyway) SW PG-60-G2 wash primer. Personal experience has shown me that it isn?t much good for corrosion protection (but might be better than nothing); but it does provide an excellent adhesion for a more durable primer if you wanted a bit more protection.

"Van's Aircraft does not have an "approved" primer. We use Sherwin Williams P60G2. This is used on the Quick-Builds (QBs) and prototypes made here. The QB's primer has no pigment so it just makes the interior surfaces slightly darker and less shiny. In the US, this primer has a green tint so the two will not match exactly. We use this primer because it is inexpensive, dries fast, and is easy to apply. Sherwin Williams will tell you that the primer needs a top coat. While this is true for optimum corrosion resistance we feel that this is not necessary for the way in which most owners will maintain their RVs."

From 05-01 https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/revisions/RV-ALL_05.pdf

My Experience

It is (or was in 2009 anyway) SW PG-60-G2 wash primer. Personal experience has shown me that it isn?t much good for corrosion protection (but might be better than nothing); but it does provide an excellent adhesion for a more durable primer if you wanted a bit more protection.

I Think Vans have test couponns outside and have periodically checked the corrosion preventiveness of the primer; the results were excellent. But be careful because it does contain chromium 4 and nasty solvents, so personnal protections need to be taken.

P60G2

I Think Vans have test couponns outside and have periodically checked the corrosion preventiveness of the primer; the results were excellent. But be careful because it does contain chromium 4 and nasty solvents, so personnal protections need to be taken.

Yes, do a search. Seems like the test coupons have been outside exposed to the elements for a very long time (10+ years?) and still show no signs of corrosion. I think it's great stuff. Light and easy to spray.

Vans have openly admitted that they use the SW product because it is "inexpensive, dries fast, and is easy to apply" but also acknowledge that "the manufacturer says it needs a top coat".

Additionally Vans states: "Though some disagree it is generally accepted that two-part epoxy primers provide the best corrosion resistance. However, they are expensive, toxic, heavy and dry slowly making them problematic for the home builder. If one can tolerate these issues and desires an RV that would be in good shape for grandchildren to inherit, then two-part epoxy primers may be the "best" solution."

It is relevant that both Piper and Cessna now use two-part epoxy primers. That's now the defacto "spam can" quality.

Builders in the Experimental category like to think that they're building aircraft that are equal to or of better quality than "spam cans". But when it comes to priming, certainly many are not.

One thing I?ve noticed is it takes a hammer and chisel to scratch through an epoxy primer (hyperbole) but just glancing at a sheet of bare aluminum scratches it. A scratch through your primer coat basically invalidates it in that spot.

Thank you all for the information. I know "priming" is an endless debate. I'm just considering buying the QB kit and wanted to know what they used to compare to what I was looking at.

But be careful because it does contain chromium 4 and nasty solvents, so personnal protections need to be taken.

So I shouldn't drink it? :D

It is (or was in 2009 anyway) SW PG-60-G2 wash primer. Personal experience has shown me that it isn’t much good for corrosion protection (but might be better than nothing); but it does provide an excellent adhesion for a more durable primer if you wanted a bit more protection.

I would be interested in hearing about your personal experience because it is contrary to what 16 years of exposure testing has shown me

Yes, do a search. Seems like the test coupons have been outside exposed to the elements for a very long time (10+ years?) and still show no signs of corrosion. I think it's great stuff. Light and easy to spray.

Vans have openly admitted that they use the SW product because it is "inexpensive, dries fast, and is easy to apply" but also acknowledge that "the manufacturer says it needs a top coat".

Additionally Vans states: "Though some disagree it is generally accepted that two-part epoxy primers provide the best corrosion resistance. However, they are expensive, toxic, heavy and dry slowly making them problematic for the home builder. If one can tolerate these issues and desires an RV that would be in good shape for grandchildren to inherit, then two-part epoxy primers may be the "best" solution."

Actually the very best corrosion protection requires carefully following some multi step Mil spec processes, which are labor intensive, costly, and hazardous to the environment and the workers involved.

As was mentioned above, if you ask Sherwin Willliams, they do recommend top coating the P60 G2 for full corrosion protection.
As was also mentioned above, a test sample has been hanging outside (but under cover so not to be exposed to UV) at Van's (60 miles from the Pacific ocean coast line) since early 2003. Every four years or so a primed portion of the test piece has been exposed to check the metal condition. So far at 15+ years it has always looked like it did the day the P60 was sprayed. The portion of the test piece that was left bare when coating was originally applied has had surface corrosion steadily developing since day one, as well as any area where the coating has been removed for inspection, begins to develop surface corrosion.

So, regardless of what the manufacturer says, P60 G2 seems to a substantial amount of protection at very little cost and labor effort. For people that are willing to invest a lot of additional effort and money, great. That is what home building is all about. But I am convinced by the testing that has been done, that using other processes is extending the useful life of an RV airframe very little (if any) additional amount than the P60 does.

BTW, the above quote says "may be the best solution". That was written many many years ago. When that portion of Section gets updated again, there will be qualifiers added.......

The portion of the test piece that was left bare when coating was originally applied has had surface corrosion steadily developing since day one, as well as any area where the coating has been removed for inspection, begins to develop surface corrosion.

Scott,
How bad does the bare test piece look? If the inner surface of a wing skin or a rib on a completed RV had a similar amount of corrosion, would you still consider it airworthy, or would you be concerned that it wasn't going to last much longer?

Thanks,

I?ll try and find some photos Scott. My corrosion was on the inside of the lower skins, light filliform easily removed with scotchbrite. The epoxy primed parts nearby weren?t affected. Humid environment, and it may have been poor preparation rather than the product as it was localised corrosion not widespread. I?ve got no science to back me up here, and it seems like overall people are happy with the QB primer. I epoxy primed as a precaution with no further issues.

Scott,
How bad does the bare test piece look? If the inner surface of a wing skin or a rib on a completed RV had a similar amount of corrosion, would you still consider it airworthy, or would you be concerned that it wasn't going to last much longer?

Thanks,

Even the area that has been exposed since the test piece was hung outside is just surface corrosion that has not caused any detectable pitting, etc., and it would still be considered airworthy.

Usually the most serious corrosion issues occur between parts (lap joints of skins, areas where skins and ribs or bulkheads mate together, etc.) where moisture can become trapped and stay in place for extended periods of time.

The test sample doesn't simulate that, but the test results convince me that the P60 is doing a good job in these areas as well.

QB Primer

Does anyone happen to know what primer they use to prime the parts when they do the Quickbuild stuff?

I had the privilege of touring Van's QB assembly facilities in the Philippines this past Spring. The primer they were using was:

Wash Primer Green
SWP-600
"Sphero" Brand

Wash Primer Catalyst
SWPC - 1000
"Sphero" Brand

Wash Primer Reducer
SWPR - 2100
"Sphero" Brand

Joe Reaves
Longview, TX

RV-14A Empennage Complete, Awaiting Fuselage & Wings
Arion Lightning LS-1 ? Flying
Dues paid thru 2019

Scott,

Thanks,

Following up on this since I was researching recently. Here's the Facebook post from Vans a few years ago with a picture of the test piece:
https://www.facebook.com/vansaircraftinc/posts/1217363901667872:0

I had the privilege of touring Van's QB assembly facilities in the Philippines this past Spring. The primer they were using was:

Wash Primer Green
SWP-600
"Sphero" Brand

Wash Primer Catalyst
SWPC - 1000
"Sphero" Brand

Wash Primer Reducer
SWPR - 2100
"Sphero" Brand

Joe Reaves
Longview, TX

RV-14A Empennage Complete, Awaiting Fuselage & Wings
Arion Lightning LS-1 ? Flying
Dues paid thru 2019

I have since checked with the manufacturer and the Sphero brand is not available anywhere except in the Philippines. Bummer. :mad:

QB Primer

Hey, reference the Van's news release on 22 March 2021, does anyone know which new primer is being used on QB kits?

"We have also changed the primer being used by the contractor in the Philipines due to a lack of availability of the original primer from the supplier there. This is a permanent change, and the new primer has been evaluated and accepted by Van’s."

Van’s new QB primer

Hey, reference the Van's news release on 22 March 2021, does anyone know which new primer is being used on QB kits?

"We have also changed the primer being used by the contractor in the Philipines due to a lack of availability of the original primer from the supplier there. This is a permanent change, and the new primer has been evaluated and accepted by Van’s."

Has anyone learned yet which primer Van’s is now using on QB kits?

Back