What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Horizon AHRS internal calibration?

macflyer

Hi!
I have an RV 6 with a new GRT Horizon and magnetometer installed and wondered if I need to adjust the pitch of the AHRS to match the angle of the plane while sitting on the ground in order to allow the AHRS to operate properly?

I have the magnetometer mounted in the wing tip.
Thanks for your help!

Steve

Easiest way would be to level the aircraft and set pitch offset to 0°. You can fine tune it as necessary. Not familliar w/GRT, but should be something in the EFIS menu to allow for pitch offset.

GRT AHRS

Hi!
I have an RV 6 with a new GRT Horizon and magnetometer installed and wondered if I need to adjust the pitch of the AHRS to match the angle of the plane while sitting on the ground in order to allow the AHRS to operate properly?

I have the magnetometer mounted in the wing tip.
Thanks for your help!

Steve

The AHRS should be installed level with the nominal level flight attitude of the aircraft as defined in the plans and aligned with its forward/aft axis parallel to the aircraft center line. I'm not entirely sure about the RV-6 but I think in general the RV's use the upper longerons in the cockpit area (i.e. at the cockpit rails) to define the level flight attitude of the aircraft.

The magnetometer needs to be accurately aligned in a similar fashion to the AHRS, or you will potentially have attitude indication errors.

Skylor

AHRS Calibration

Hi,
Thanks, yes, I set the AHRS to the degrees on the rails, but I am not getting the correct reading on the magnetometer? I have rotated the aircraft 380 a few times to try and get it to correct, but the degree's are still off? I was told I had to calibrate the AHRS, then calibrate the magnetometer?

Back