Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2021, 11:02 PM

Exclamation Rotax 912iS fuseboxes fuses

I was recently troubleshooting an alternator-out/intermittent issue. In the process of tracing things, I examined the Rotax fusebox mounted on the firewall. During building, I never bothered to open it or even look inside.

Below is a photo of what I found. The engine has 3 hours on it. The two fuses pictured, (I believe, though haven't consulted Rotax manuals yet) protect Regulator A and Regulator B output. It's not clear to me what would have happened if both fuses fell out simultaneously.

I have pushed them back in (with minimal force I may add), and added generous beads of hot glue to make sure they don't come out. I would advise all owners to take a look through the protective frosted plastic next time they have the top cowl off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30982E8B-08AE-43DD-920B-A843EB976652.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	10222  
Old 04-11-2021, 08:46 AM

If the grip on fuse terminals is not strong enough to prevent a fuse from falling out,
then the grip is not strong enough to provide a good electrical connection either.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:56 AM

Don't think I'd use hot melt glue for anything on the firewall.

Or for anything at all important elsewhere on the airplane.

Dave
Old 04-12-2021, 08:54 PM

You might try putting a slight twist in the fuse blades. When I was a young Navy nuke reading the the core tech manual they discussed the tendency of control rods to vibrate in the coolant flow. It was solved by “mechanical bias”, a fancy term for bending to get a good interference fit. Hey, if it was good enough for Rickover you could at least try. Fuses are cheap.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
I was recently troubleshooting an alternator-out/intermittent issue. In the process of tracing things, I examined the Rotax fusebox mounted on the firewall. During building, I never bothered to open it or even look inside.

Below is a photo of what I found. The engine has 3 hours on it. The two fuses pictured, (I believe, though haven't consulted Rotax manuals yet) protect Regulator A and Regulator B output. It's not clear to me what would have happened if both fuses fell out simultaneously.

I have pushed them back in (with minimal force I may add), and added generous beads of hot glue to make sure they don't come out. I would advise all owners to take a look through the protective frosted plastic next time they have the top cowl off.
Thanks for the heads up Rob. I’ve never thought of opening that up.
Tail 99% done
Wings 99% done
12IS fuse kit 99% done
Finish kit 95% done
Avionics kit 1% done
Dues paid 2020
Old 04-19-2021, 07:34 AM

I had the same problem after my first flight on Feb 6th 2020. It took me quite a while and a lot of sweat to find the (frustratingly simple) cause of the problem. See https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=180536

RV-12iS #121073
Flying Feb 6 2020

Last edited by jcboon : 04-19-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:36 PM

Thanks. I'm not sure how I had missed your prior post. I reported my (and your) issue, along with our photos to Van's Support so that they are aware of it being more than a one-off builder issue.

I'd think they would want to consider taking action if more than 1 builder is having fuses fall out (in a fusebox that doesn't get opened/inspected routinely).
Old 04-22-2021, 04:00 AM

It does not help that the 'window' is opaque, and that you cannot inspect the innards of the fuse box without removing the lid.
RV-12iS #121073
Flying Feb 6 2020
Old 04-22-2021, 06:40 AM

Perhaps you could put small piece (strip) of foam on inside of lid. When lid is in place the foam will press against fuses to hold them in place. Removal of lid allows complete unobstructed access.
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 650

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 04-22-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Perhaps you could put small piece (strip) of foam on inside of lid. When lid is in place the foam will press against fuses to hold them in place. Removal of lid allows complete unobstructed access.
This could be done, but if the mechanical (friction) connection of the fuses is not enough to keep them from vibrating out, then I would not trust it to be a good electrical connection either.

If anyone else with a RV-12iS experiences this problem please use the notification procedure outlined in the Maintenance manual to let us know the details.

One thing I would suggest to anyone that experiences this is to immediately recheck the pitch of the prop blades to confirm the pitch angle is within .1 degree of each other, and then get a dynamic prop balance ASAP. It is possible that the grip friction of all of the fuse sockets is acceptable but the one moved was a bit lower than the others which allowed excessive vibration to displace the fuse.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")