Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddog7 View Post
KiloFoxtrot, Thank you for posting the photos of your engine build. I have an older Superior XP- IO-360 engine with high compression pistons and roller lifters. Back when my engine was built, Superior was using a specially designed automotive style roller lifter. Those roller lifters are no longer available and it appears that Superior has switched to a new roller lifter design that incorporates off-the shelf aviation style lifter guts. At one point, a few years ago, Superior had started modifying their engine cases to allow installation of their new style roller lifter from the outside. In other words, the entire roller lifter could be removed once the pushrod tube is removed. Do you recall if your engineís roller lifters are removable without splitting the case? I anticipate that the answer is ďnoĒ, but Iím just curious. Possibly they eventually designed a replacement lifter that didnít require any modification to their existing engine case. I didnít particularly like their case mod anyway.... Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Speeddog
When I was in the school I do recall them saying that i would be able to remove the lifters without splitting the case. I just checked the Superior website for confirmation.
Here is what it says:
Roller Lifters
Our roller lifters were developed to provide a smoother running engine and to help reduce wear between the camshaft lobe and the roller face, minimizing the occurrences of cam-lifter spalling.

Superior Exclusive!

A unique feature of our roller lifter design is that they can be removed without opening the engine case, which reduces costly maintenance and repairs.

Hope that helped.
Leather seats by Flightline Interiors.
Still to do: Firewall forward, cowling fit and paint, G3X avionics.
FLY