What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ooops! Extra dimple hole in HS skin.

cnpeters

Well Known Member
I have heard of builders doing this, and seek repair advice. The original extra dimple was flattened with the squeezer and flat sets, then after the pic was taken I deburred the extra hole (after dimpling the proper one) with a jeweler's round file. The plan is to go ahead and rivet as usual, then fill the adjacent hole with some epoxy and sand smooth. Sound good? Other tips?
p1000603bl2.jpg

How would an "oops" rivet fit in there? If you drilled that hole out to #30 would most of the extra hole be gone? If so that may be an option for you.

Oops!

I did the same. Was mortified! Vans said, "Don't worry, just put the rivet in." Once it is painted, chances are, you'll never see it. I haven't painted yet, and I'd be hard pressed to find that oops.

I don't think an oops rivet would be of any benefit, because it has the -3 head.

Cliff
RV9A fuse
Chase, BC
Canada

Count me in

I've got one also, learning how to PROPERLY use a pneumatic squeezer. Called Van's, solution was to rivet and keep on building.

No sweat.

Welcome to the club. My 'oops extra dimple hole' was on the VS....not even sure I remember which side now. Can't see it under the paint.

I read somewhere each airplane needs a small imperfection so that the evil spirits will have a place to exit. Something like that.

b,
d

It looks like you have a crack in there. If that is the case I would drill out the crack with a 40 bit. I would then use the original hole and put the rivet called out in the instructions in the hole. I would then add a rivet on either side to help relieve any stress that might be applied to the area. If you drill to a 30 now you will not completely get the crack or the other hole. If there is no crack, I would do what you stated and just add a rivet on either side for safety sake. Now if it were in the middle of the HS, I would have and did exactly what you stated.

Any assistance to fix this extra hole I creates with the pneumatic squeezer:-(
This was done just a few moments ago on the vertical stabilizer skin as I was dimpling the outside edges. It all looks perfect except for when the die set slipped right as I pressed the button. It punched a second hole����������

Attachments

• 7FE773AD-DAEA-41A9-AE5E-468F030944AE.jpg
    7FE773AD-DAEA-41A9-AE5E-468F030944AE.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Back