What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Preparing for Cross Countries

jpowell13

Well Known Member
I've been reading the thread on the weather and the go-no go decision with interest. I just started Phase I tests and am really looking forward to those cross countries.

On my second test flight I had problems transmitting on my panel mounted com, and the handheld radio I had with me made this a non-issue. In that vane, I'm wondering about what to pack and what to leave behind? For example, do you carry a spare inner tube and hand pump? What about PLT's, survival gear, tie down straps and anchors, tools, spark plugs, oil? I hate getting caught without the right wrench or screw driver. What's most important?

John

I've been reading the thread on the weather and the go-no go decision with interest. I just started Phase I tests and am really looking forward to those cross countries.

On my second test flight I had problems transmitting on my panel mounted com, and the handheld radio I had with me made this a non-issue. In that vane, I'm wondering about what to pack and what to leave behind? For example, do you carry a spare inner tube and hand pump? What about PLT's, survival gear, tie down straps and anchors, tools, spark plugs, oil? I hate getting caught without the right wrench or screw driver. What's most important?

John

My airplane does not leave the airport traffic pattern without the following:
Tool Kit (with 1 spare spark plug and hardware)
Tie Down Rings
Tie Dow Rope
1-quart of oil (I will buy oil before I use my qt but have it in case there is none for sale)
Minimal first aid kit
2-space blankets
Ka-Bar 2000 is in tool kit

My long cross-country flying I always keep in my mind what the Basic VFR requirements are. If Wx drops to minimum VFR, have a plan (or two) to divert including a 180 to nearest airport. Know how to use the Nearest feature on the GPS and your backup GPS. Know how to get airport info for the unplanned airport out of your book, map, EFB, and or GPS.

I use my IFR approach certified for primary navigation. I use the VOR in the SL30 always tuned to a VOR somewhere ahead of my flight. I also have a backup 396 handheld GPS. I know how to get airport info from both GPS units and out of the iPad / iPhone / EFB.

When it comes to X/C flight, my friends know me as "Chicken" and I like that because I do not want to be know as "Dead Duck".

The more X/C flying you do, you will get a "gut" feeling and know when not to go. If you do go take a look, DO NOT fly in conditions that are NOT VFR unless you are IFR rated, proficient, and cleared to by ATC. Always be ready to divert even if that means a 180. If conditions are less than perfect, never let your fuel level go below 1/2.

Know how to use Flight Watch. If you have multiple radios, keep 122.0 tuned on the spare at all times. With the SL30 as comm 2, I always am listening to 121.5 and 122.0.

If you do not like the way Wx looks in front of you, the 180 back to the airport behind you may be the safest thing.

Time to Spare, go by Air.

Last edited:
I carry enough tools to do some basic repair (almost a duplicate of Gary, above), but the only time I've ever had to do any work on the aircraft while on the road was to solder an antenna lead.

There is plenty of merit to bringing survival gear, but again, this depends a lot on the terrain you're flying over. I fly a lot over the open desert where a survivable forced landing is highly probable, but exposure before someone finds us is the primary consideration. If I flew where I was never more than a few miles from population, my survival gear would even be lighter. This is a highly personal choice.

But above all, keep in mind the fact that the airplane does not know the difference between 3 hours in the pattern or 3 hours in one direction. And even if you DO break out of town, there is a very good possibility someone will be around to help. The point is, I don't think you need to pack like you're going to spend 30 days in the Yukon for a simple weekend trip to the next state.

In that vane, I'm wondering about what to pack and what to leave behind? For example, do you carry a spare inner tube and hand pump? What about PLT's, survival gear, tie down straps and anchors, tools, spark plugs, oil? I hate getting caught without the right wrench or screw driver. What's most important?

John

Hi John,

Probably hundreds of posts about this and as many opinions as there are pilots. I can't carry a spare everything but I do carry basic tools, tie-downs/straps, chocks, one spark plug, one fuel tank cap, quart of oil, and some misc. hardware. When the flight dictates, I add my survival vest/gear. When going into backcountry airstrips, the ability to repair a flat tire is a really good thing but so far keeping my fingers crossed has worked.

if you can carry it safely bring it, you wount need it then.

have done a number of minor repairs that kept me overnight but the wx was much better the next day.

xc flying is what you will remember at the end of the season. go out of your comfort zone once in a while. :rolleyes:

img0773v.jpg

Survival gear appropriate to the geography beneath you - a good idea.

A PLB that sends your exact GPS coordinates to SAR forces via satellite? Even a BETTER idea! You won't have time to play with all your neat survival gear....

In the tools department, think "tasks", and the most likely tasks are to fix a flat tire and to poke around under the cowl - I make sure I have what I need to remove wheel pants and the cowl. Beyond that, in today's world, a good cell phone and an internet connection to call the VAF cavalry will probably get you fixed just about anywhere in the US. Being able to pull the cowl off so that you know what the problem is will help.

Great idea Jon. I have an RV friend at Venice that almost had to scrub a x-c flight when a fuel cap pin broke. He borrowed mine for a few days. Better than duck tape.

I was going to mention DUCT tape (never mind that its the last thing in the world that you ever want to bring near an air duct, the proper name *is* duct tape), as nobody had. I'm not sure a spare fuel cap is better at all... It's heavier, and has only *one* use. Duct tape could save your bacon a dozen different ways on a long cross country.

Better yet, carry gaffer's tape, the stuff roadies use to tape down power cords and such at concerts. I find it to be better than duct tape for most applications, and it comes off cleaner when you want it to.

Gaffers tape

I was going to mention DUCT tape (never mind that its the last thing in the world that you ever want to bring near an air duct, the proper name *is* duct tape), as nobody had. I'm not sure a spare fuel cap is better at all... It's heavier, and has only *one* use. Duct tape could save your bacon a dozen different ways on a long cross country.

Better yet, carry gaffer's tape, the stuff roadies use to tape down power cords and such at concerts. I find it to be better than duct tape for most applications, and it comes off cleaner when you want it to.

Where do you get gaffers tape? Others have metioned its uses but I would not know where to find it locally

Cheers

Next time you are near some duct tape and 100LL, put them together and see what happens.

Duct tape over any fuel opening is a bad idea. A spare gas cap weighs almost nothing.

minimum equipment list?

I'd love to see a section with everyone's list of stuff they carry with them!..it's kind of scattered thru-out the forums. I've added fuel drains and hose clamps to my tool bag because of the suggestions.

...plus what they add only if going overwater, winter, desert etc.

re: tape, I think good ductape ( hahhaha!) like the stuff Lee Valley Tools has, or the stuff they call 'Gorilla tape' is what you want. Some also can get 'bookbinding tape' which is often white. In truth, film crews used to come into our art store, and ask for 'gaffers tape', and walk out with every roll of duct and book tape we had!
I'm sure google will get you a hundred more ideas.
I agree that perhaps a plastic bag held in place with tape might also work as a temp fuel cap, but not betting my life on the contents lasting long!:)

This may be a little "far out", but I've been thinking about the weight:benefit ratio of carrying a small portable jump starter for a back-up electrical system to power an ifly 720 and a portable handheld and secondarily as a starter booster on those cold mornings. The little ones are less than 10 lbs.

Back