What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I-Fly 720 Question

PCHunt

Well Known Member
Sponsor
How much easier to read is the 720 over the 700, in flight on a sunny day? Anyone able to compare both? Thinking about upgrading..........

Had a 700, have a 720. Big improvement in being able to see in daylight. I could not see the 700 in daylight with my sunglasses, can with the 720. Not quite as bright as my Skyview displays but good enough. If the sun is over your shoulder, both the Skyview and 720 are hard to see, the 700 would be impossible. IPad seems no brighter, just bigger (is that and advantage or disadvantage?).

How much easier to read is the 720 over the 700, in flight on a sunny day? Anyone able to compare both? Thinking about upgrading..........

Pete,

This photo was taken of my ifly 720 with the sun directly overhead under broken cloud cover.

201202ifly7201.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tom, Why does it look like your Mag switch is off! I have a 700 that is difficult to read in sunlite . Thats my only complaint with the 700. "simply amaizing"

Pete,

This photo was taken of my ifly 720 with the sun directly overhead under broken cloud cover.

201202ifly7201.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tom, Why does it look like your Mag switch is off! I have a 700 that is difficult to read in sunlite . Thats my only complaint with the 700. "simply amaizing"

Perhaps because Tom's plane is parked on the ramp at the airport where "the iFly little airplane" is centered? :D

I have a iFly 700 and my next door neighbor has the 720. We both fly RV-6's and while I've never been unable to read my 700, Bob's 720 is a little brighter. The most difficult lighting condition I've noticed is not overhead direct sun, but direct sun coming over my shoulder about 45 degrees above the horizon. But those conditions don't occur very often and I haven't been tempted to replace the 700 with the newer 720 for visibility reasons.....yet...see below.

However, the 720's wifi capability is a biggie. That will be the easiest way to integrate ADS-B with the iFly while retaining the ability to drive an autopilot.

Last edited:
720 vs. 700

I just upgraded, agree with Sam. Didn't do it because of visibility, entirely to get both ADSB (via Wifi) and NMEA out to my Dynon at the same time. 700 only has USB and its one or the other not both. Functionality on both is the same and either is awesome.

700 vs 720

Pete,
I was at the airport a few weeks back and up walked a fellow who happen to have an I fly 720. I had the 700 mounted in my RV7A. We did a side by side comparison and there really was NO comparison. We were on the ramp in direct sunlight.... I had to shield the 700 and remove my sunglasses to see anything. His 720... I could see it without being shaded AND I had sunglasses on! The next day, I did the upgrade/rebate thing with Adventure Pilot and now have a 720 in my panel. I like it ALOT better. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being like reading the ifly in the dark.... the 700 was at best a 3 or so. The 720 would be an 8.

May not work with ADSB but I have my RS232 split going to my autopilot and also to my TruTrak Gemini PFD. I was told that I could drive two things with the one output. It works great. I love my 720 for many reasons and the screen is very readable in all kinds of light.

For those of you who have an iFly 720 and who have ADS-B weather.

Which ADS-B unit are you using and how well does the ADS-B unit integrate with the 720?

Also, will the 720 work in portrait mode, or is it landscape only?

Newest software udpate recently made available does include the ability to shift to portrait mode. This had been promised since before I bought my 720 and I'm glad to see it delivered as advertised. Makes it a better fit for GPS I replaced (Lowrance 2000C):

PortraitMode.JPG

I'm very happy with the 720 and haven't had any trouble with viewability / useability flying in sunshine, overcast, or partly cloudy conditions.

720 panel installation described at:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/panelAndElectrical/panel/panelPg7.htm

on the 700

Kyle, the latest software update includes portrait on both the 700 and 720. Believe its 7.5 v .The Beta version seems to work well on my 700 but looks like its going to be better suited and supported on the 720 . You "re welcome to take a look at it on my 9 anytime.

I have my 720

hooked up to the Trio EZ Pilot in my -6A ------ works great! iFly just announced their App for the iPad ---- I have tried it and it is a great feature. The iFly 720 is sunlight readable, unlike the iPad, so, between the two of them, you have a great system.

Which ADS-B unit are you using and how well does the ADS-B unit integrate with the 720?

Kyle,

I have the SkyRadar D2 and it integrates just fine with the 720. The only "trick" (if it is one) is to give the SkyRadar a 1 minute head start on the 720. If they both turn on at the same time, they don't always connect.

FWIW, I am seeing more and more traffic on the 720. Six months ago I saw occasional traffic around major airports. Now I almost always have targets on the screen anywhere I fly in Virginia, including the rural areas of the Shenandoah Valley and into West Virginia. Generally I need to be 300-700' up to get traffic but I've been able to pick up traffic on the ground. My only grip is the unit defaults to an Alert Level that gives silly warnings. It's easy to change or disable.

As far as I'm concerned, the weather feature is what's worth the money. I like being able to look at METARs along my route in real time but I love the Winds Aloft feature now that I've got it figured out. It really helps me decide what altitude to fly.

Also, seeing the big weather picture with NEXRAD is nice but there really is a delay and you should not expect to see the real weather matching what's on the screen. But, you should be able to understand the trend and figure it out.

Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright

I have just recently purchased the SkyguardTWX (no AHRS) for my 720. Have't flown with it yet, but have paired it up seperately with my 720 and iPad Air on the ground. It paired up easily with the iPad, but took several attempts to pair up with the 720. On the ground, I could pick up some airliners. I assume it was getting signals directly from their mode S.

So far, my only complaints with the Skyguard is that it will not fit on the glare shield of my tip up RV6. Actually, this is ok. I will mount it on the passengar side via a bracket and get it out of the field of vision. There are two small antennaes that need to stick up at canopy level. Also, the ADS-B out transmit antenna is not too attractive. It is a long blue blade that dangles from the canopy via a suction cup. That one I will have to live with for now.

As for the 720, it is fairly easy to see in sunlight. I really like the 720, although this is my second one. First one had some issues. Adventure Pilot has been very helpful. I have the new "free trial" 720 app ony my iPad also and it would be a great way to go if you don't have the ipad glare problem in your cockpit.

Back