What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No rear stick ?

JustJim

I'm New Here
Dense me doesn't understand why put a rear stick in an RV8 without rudders, brakes, throttle quadrant, instruments... Seems to me if you want to share pilot duties, build a 7 and those problems go away.

What am I missing?

Jim

Rear Stick

It's pretty simple really. The rear stick is included during construction because to add it later would require significant tear down and rebuilding of the floor system and controls. The rear rudder pedals and rear throttle however are pretty easy add ons. Many tandum seat aircraft have minimal controls and no intruments in the back, Cub, Citabria, T-Craft to name a few. The rear stick is easy enough to take in and out as you want and it gives the guy in back a chance to experience flying the plane. It's always better to have the option. Also in my opinion the best way to learn to fly a taildragger is KEEP YOUR FEET OFF THE BRAKES....

I bought my 8A with only the rear stick, I later added a throttle and PTT. You don't need rudder pedals to get the plane on the ground. I figured I would give my passenger a fighting chance to survive if something happened to me.

When i was young and my dad took me out flying in his RV-4, he usually just set the throttle and i was flying from the back, when flying the RV you dont need to use the rudder so normal flying and som rolls was no problem, when i was 13-14 years old he added a throttle and a simple type of rudder pedals for the back seat and learned me to fly properly :D I am building my 8 the same way, will add throttle and rudder pedals for the back seat one day when i need it :D

Dense me doesn't understand why put a rear stick in an RV8 without rudders, brakes, throttle quadrant, instruments... Seems to me if you want to share pilot duties, build a 7 and those problems go away.
As above:
  • rudders Option
  • brakes 'Sharing Pilot Duties' covers a lot more than landing / takeoff / taxiing - many airliners do not fit NWS to the copilot's side, but he does have a wheel ;)
  • throttle Option
  • quadrant As with brakes, not an issue since front seater sets up and leaves
  • instruments Setup properly, the front instrument panel can be seen from the rear for "flying" e.g. ASI and Altimeter, maybe 'g' - what other insts do you "need"?
  • build a 7 and those problems go away Ditto buy a C152 :confused: I don't want to start a 7 v 8 war, but the 8 with it's (minor) limitations as above is, for me, in a different class to a 7

Back