What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Trio autopilot help needed

steveahler

I'm New Here
I have purchased a RV-6 built in 1990. Trying to upgrade a little at a time. Got rid of the Loran and have purchased the Trio pro autopilot.
Have pitch servo installed.
But sure would like some help with the wing and wiring. Plane based Walla Walla,Wa. Which is a huge wine area and I can always pay in wine😊
Would appreciate any help.
[email protected] or even better 509:520.7273

Thanks Steve

The standard roll servo location in an RV6 is in the cabin below the right seaters right leg. It won’t fit in the wing at the location that works on newer models because of the way the aileron bellcrank is installed. There is a way to modify the bellcrank with an installed clevis, with the servo mounted out near the wingtip using a push/pull tube that is about 4’ long. Standard location on the cabin floor board is easier to install and uses much shorter wire runs. I’ll try to send a couple pics, but they are available on the Dynon website. I’m using GRT equipment, bought their servo install kits, and they are the same as Dynon and Garmin. Pretty standard.

4BAB54A5-F805-44A6-BC9A-DFF54C237AA1.jpg

D1AEF19E-7E30-4AC6-97E7-7BC04397ACEB.jpg

I riveted my roll servo bracket in today - second pic. Whatever you do, make sure you install your servo in a way won’t permit an over center condition.

Both pictures are upside down…….. usually happens when I post a picture - sorry.

The Navaid servo (using it with the Trio ProPilot) has been in the mid-wing inspection port at the aileron bellcrank for 22 years. I installed it while the wing was under construction but it could be installed in the bay with a lot of patience. If installing under the seat be careful with the pushrod geometry so there won't be any pitch input when the servo is applying roll input.

Easiest installation in a flying RV-6 is in the wingtip with a pushrod running to the bellcrank. We installed the servo this way in my hangar-mates RV-6A nearly twenty years ago and it's still working fine. Here are the notes:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/navaid.html

And in the wing at the bellcrank:

Attachments

• wing-98.jpg
    wing-98.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
When I bought my RV6 it had a Trio Autopilot with a NavAid servo in the wing inspection port area at the bellcrank. I replaced the Trio with a TruTrak and installed the roll servo in the LH wing tip with a long pushrod to the bellcrank. I also assisted a friend with the Garmin version of the roll servo in the LH seat pan area.

While there are a few disadvantages to the wing tip install, longer wire runs, longer pushrod, slightly heavier I suppose. The simplified geometry and ease of install and inspection are benefits for sure. I will be installing the Garmin AP next and will leave the servo at the wingtip as it is my preference of the three options.

Bill

I think the easiest installation is either the wingtip, as Sam suggested, or under the cabin floor. I hadn’t considered the pitch moments that may be introduced during a turn, and I will be watching for that during flight test in a few months, but this is the installation recommendation from GRT. If you decide on a wingtip installation, I did that on my original RV6 21 years ago. I used the Navaid autopilot and eventually went with TruTrak, which required me to put the roll servo inboard near the bellcrank. As Sam suggests, it is a little difficult because of access and bellcrank geometry. In the wingtip location, I had mine mounted on the outboard wing rib. If you decide to go this route, believe it or not, I still have my Servo actuating tube, complete with rod end bearings. You can have it if you want to go this route. If it’s too long, you should be able to cut it down to what you want.
I’ll try to link up instructions for a wingtip servo installation.

https://www.trioavionics.com/RV4-6_Servo_Wingtip_Install.pdf

If you want to do this and need the autopilot push tube, let me know. This installation has you mounting the servo on the wingspar web. Mine was mounted on the outboard wing rib, so my tube would have to be cut down a little.

Easiest installation in a flying RV-6 is in the wingtip with a pushrod running to the bellcrank. We installed the servo this way in my hangar-mates RV-6A nearly twenty years ago and it's still working fine. Here are the notes:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/navaid.html
Trio Avionics has a pdf document RV-4 / RV-6 Wingtip Servo Installation Kit. It's not clear to me that they sell the kit but it would be worth a phone call. In any event it is a very good guide to mounting the servo on the outboard wing spar if you choose to go that route. It is similar to how I did mine before any kit was available.

My RV6 wingtips are removable (mounted with screws) and I started with a NAVAID system very similar to what Sam did except I mounted the servo a little more inboard on the spar web between the two outboard ribs. My RV6 has been flying 15 years and I probable got the wingtip mounting idea from Sam. I think I added an angle stiffener angle for the mounting holes in the spar web.
I looked for photos but I only found photos of my pitch servo mounting which you already have done.
After the NAVAID head quit I purchased a second hand TRIO including both servos so I replaced the wingtip NAVAID servo with the TRIO. I also installed a safety support for the pushrod in the event either end came loose so it could not possibly catch at a rib lightening hole. I may have shortened the push rod a little when I put in the TRIO unit.

Last edited:
I purchased the wing tip kit but my tip in riveted on. I’ve done work to do
Come Spring. It includes the rod to attach. Thanks for your help.

Back