What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Last Hoorah! Wanted - RV-8

AN23

Well Known Member
Well, Brian left yesterday with Aurora (RV-7) and what a great airplane it is. In the end, the airplane ended up back where it belinged and we made a couple of great friends in Brian and Kris.

Now, on my 68th birthday, my son and I are looking for what may well be my last airplane. Everyone says you should put down your wishlist so here goes:

RV-8
*IO-360 or O-360 (either one will work but IO gets extra points)
*Glass or round gages but I really like at least a graphic engine monitor
*Great construction quality (I recently went to two years of school and got my A&P just so I could better understand and maintain RVs.
*Prefer painted but would consider non-painted if the seller recognizes there’s going to be a price difference between the two.
*Constant speed prop - yes, it must have a constant speed prop
*We probably can’t afford a dolled up, maxed out 8 but if the bones are great, we could probably make yours better. (Ask Brian about Aurora).
*Canadian airplanes can work - we’ve done it before

In short, I’m getting older and after many, many years of my son and I flying all kinds of airplanes including the A-10 Warthog (son) and the P-51 (me) the RVs are our favorite fun machine. We have both spent a lifetime in aviation, love to fly and whichever RV-8 we eventually acquire, we will take incredible care of it. We are reasonable buyers that like to make friends and develop friendships thru airplanes and aviation.

So, if you have an 8 that is, or may be in the near future, for sale, please contact me. We’ve got an empty hangar that needs to be filled.

Thanks everyone

Rob Traynham

Last edited:
I wish you all the best when you find an 8, I have one (conventional U/C of course) and having flown a lot of diff types (not Worthog or Mustang though) but C150's to Airliners the 8 simply fits me like a glove:) Best Vans desgn ever but I am biased:D

Well, Brian left yesterday with Aurora (RV-7) and what a great airplane it is. In the end, the airplane ended up back where it belinged and we made a couple of great friends in Brian and Kris.

Now, on my 68th birthday, my son and I are looking for what may well be my last airplane. Everyone says you should put down your wishlist so here goes:

RV-8
*IO-360 or O-360 (either one will work but IO gets extra points)
*Glass or round gages but I really like at least a graphic engine monitor
*Great construction quality (I recently went to two years of school and got my A&P just so I could better understand and maintain RVs.
*Prefer painted but would consider non-painted if the seller recognizes there’s going to be a price difference between the two.
*Constant speed prop - yes, it must have a constant speed prop
*We probably can’t afford a dolled up, maxed out 8 but if the bones are great, we could probably make yours better. (Ask Brian about Aurora).
*Canadian airplanes can work - we’ve done it before

In short, I’m getting older and after many, many years of my son and I flying all kinds of airplanes including the A-10 Warthog (son) and the P-51 (me) the RVs are our favorite fun machine. We have both spent a lifetime in aviation, love to fly and whichever RV-8 we eventually acquire, we will take incredible care of it. We are reasonable buyers that like to make friends and develop friendships thru airplanes and aviation.

So, if you have an 8 that is, or may be in the near future, for sale, please contact me. We’ve got an empty hangar that needs to be filled.

Thanks everyone

Rob Traynham

Good luck Rob. I said exactly the same thing a couple of years ago and still do, "My Last Hoorah." Purchased an -8 that was perfect for me.

"74-07?" Is that your UPT class number? Mine was 74-01. We are getting old.

Last edited:
I am just a few years younger than you and just purchased a F1 rocket for my last hurrah. I wanted a RV8 but could not locate a good one at the time. As soon as I closed on the Rocket several eights popped up. Something good will show up soon!
G

Okay people, Rob is a caring helpful guy. Payback time, let’s help him out.

If you have or know of a finished or even majority finish RV-8, with good bones. Rob and Ruston are the guys who will treat your dream plane with the same love and care you did. Rob likes quality stuff and is ready for this next chapter.

My transactions, selling & now buying, with Rob have gone off with a hiccup. He’s honest, straightforward and easy to talk too. I’d trust him with anything.

So contact Rob and feel good that your beauty will have the caretaker it deserves.

There is a fine 8 for sale in Pottstown, Pa. very unfortunate circumstances force it?s sale. Not going any further into that, but giving that fine machine some interest would be appreciated. It?s well worth the money. I pm?d you the contact info.

I may be a bit biased...

Last hurrah? One of my pals said he was instantly 18 each time he hopped in his Rocket - into his 70s. I hope to feel the same way. A-10 and P-51 time? Have you looked at Rockets yet? I know where you can get a hop...but I won?t sell it until 2019 NCAR are finished up.

Thanks everyone. Met some really nice people and thanks for the tips to date. We?re still looking and will check back occasionally until we find and buy our 8. Just want to say again that mid to eastern Canadian aircraft are doable for us. We?ve imported before. If you know of an 8 for sale, please contact me.

Thanks again!

RV-8

We are still looking to buy. Any leads would ge appreciated. We are ready buyers for the right airplane.

New ride

Ok, thanks to Doug, I can now post photos of my "new" ride. It's a beautifully built 8 with an IO-360 angle valve and a Hartzell CS prop. Basic steam gages but a new panel already designed and cut (Up North) and a new partial glass panel going in this fall along with stronger gear bolts and nuts. Since getting it home in November, we have done the following:

Installed new AFP fuel boost pump system to basically bring it up to specs with current Vans drawings. New hoses from T&S. New fuel selector. Brakes overhauled and system flushed. Fuel tank access plates resealed and new style fuel pickups installed. New master and starter solenoids installed. New battery. ADS-B installed. Rear stick cover and side pockets installed. Flyboys pneumatic tailwheel with Rocket link installed. Right now, we're getting tools to do the valve wobble test.

The airplane performs beautifully but I am really picky and pretty much go through any RV we get. This airplane has been loved but like most 15 year old planes, it was time to just freshen up the systems.

Thanks to everyone for helping us find my "last hoorah" airplane!

Rob

Attachments

• 4F5E2F45-5C0B-4F01-B346-6014EE04A11C.jpg
    4F5E2F45-5C0B-4F01-B346-6014EE04A11C.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 231
  • F10B03E1-4168-48F0-AC92-37B9BF8A7FAB.jpg
    F10B03E1-4168-48F0-AC92-37B9BF8A7FAB.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 248
My transactions, selling & now buying, with Rob have gone off with a hiccup. .

You go so excited you threw him under the bus. :D:D I would have said they went through with NO hiccups, but maybe you like to have hiccups? :p:p

Oh and yes, the RV8 is the best plane overall out there !!

Back