What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

brake lines and fittings

Jimzim

Well Known Member
The brake lines and fittings from Vans seem a little under-done to me. I'm talking about the white plastic stuff from the cylinders to the back of the firewall. Before I close up the top skin for good, I am considering replacing all that with braided lines and AN fittings to reduce the risk of leaks. I've heard of other RV owners who have had to fight leaks with the kit set up and I really don't want to find myself on my back down there going through that! Any thoughts? Worth the change or is the Van's set up adequate as is? Thanks very much for your experiences...
Thanks, Jim VAF paid, RV7, 0-360, FP, paint and fly in spring!!

I consider it money well spent. Call Brett at http://www.bonacoinc.com/ . He has a package deal for you. there are some decisions I made that cost me money and were not worth it, and some that were. This is one that was worth it. I cannot stand any oil leaks of any type. I have an A model. One of my biggest mistakes was not starting with the braided line from the tank to the selector valve. I ripped the aluminum tubing out and went back with the braided hose from Bonaco. Probably took me an entire day to run the Al. Took less than an hour to rip out the AL and go back with the braided.

You are on the right path. When you build, think three-four years down the road when you have to maintain your plane.

My 2013 kit came with braided lines from the master cylinders to the park brake valve, then the clear nylon tubing from the cylinders to the brass T (that I used) that goes to the reservoir, there is no Pressure here so you want flexibility more than anything else. It is important to use incerts with any compression fitting. I need to order two more. I have seen the nylon liner crack and leak inside a braded line, so......

Brake lines

I replaced the plastic lines with -3 brake lines on the RV6 during construction. http://www.bakerprecision.com/earls19.htm

I retained the aluminum line that runs down the gear leg, but attached a short braided brake line from the end of it to the brake caliper. This avoids cracks in the aluminum line if it is attached directly to the caliper.
No leaks, no problems, and have not added a drop of brake fluid in 9 years.

Like Alton, my brake lines in my RV-10 are from Bonaco as well. Later in the build, I ordered all my FWF and replaced my fuel lines from TS Flightines.

Having dealt with both companies, Tom at TS Flightines provides a much better level of service to his customers. Tom is also a frequent contributor here on VAF.

I thnk I've mentioned this before, but another builder on the field was having difficulties measuring for a really awkwardly located hose. He had already provided my hoses several weeks early, but I had only talked with him on the phone. I walked into the hangar and saw Tom's mug on the screen with a web cam in this particular aircraft's tunnel. Tom was guiding the builder where to place the ruler so that he could make measurements directly. I'm sure Tom doesn't do this with every customer, but it does show his commitment to get things done right the first time.

When I was experiencing fuel flow issues, Tom offered to send new fuel lines at no cost just in case on his lines were the culprit. I said to hold off until I could determine the root cause. I didn't want him to incur any expense without warrant. My problem turned out to be a fuel pump. However, the fact that he wanted to jump in and take a very proactive role in the troubleshooting speaks highly of his commitment to customer service.

bob

Don't totally dismiss the "as supplied" components.

While there's nothing wrong with upgrading fuel and brake lines (other than cost).

My -6 has been flying over 20 1/2 years with the plastic brake lines and aluminum fuel lines that came with the kit. No problems to date!

Lines

I used the parts that came with kit and with some extra hose I placed a bulkhead fitting in the firewall over each gear leg I did not like the brake line running across the front of the firewall over the exhaust pipes.
Bob

I have a mix of Vans lines and Bonoco lines in my brake system - only leak is that x?>@!#$ angle fitting on my right brake pedal. Not enough to do anything about until next inspection.
I like the plastic lines because I can glance down at the co-pilot ones (RV-10) and see red fluid in them.
John

Back