What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pecan Plantation Fly-In - 21 Sept

Doug Crumrine

Sponsor
PECAN PLANTATION FLY-IN
OTX1
Granbury, TX
NOTE: UNICOM FREQ NOW 122.975
21 Sept 2013
Time: 9:30 ? 16:00
(Rain date if needed is 28 Sept)

------Free Admission-----
Sponsored by EAA Chapter 983
Everyone is invited and there is something for all ages.
Catered Lunch
iPad Raffle & Silent Auction
?Showcase Of Airplanes?
100 +Static aircraft display & lots of aircraft operations
Patches the Clown (Magic tricks for young kids)
Young Eagles Program, Free plane rides kids 8-17yrs,
Flight times 11:00-2:30, First Come, first Scheduled & flown,
Must Sign Up- PARENTAL SIGNATURE REQUIRED

POC: Pam Fisher 817 243-8537

Always a great time - but I don't think we'll make it from Nevada this year Doug....

Always wanted to go to this fly-in, but unfortunately it's the same day as the Tulsa Fly-in at Bartlesville... which I have a prior commitment to attend.

Bump (for the Fly-In or Drive-In)

I don't live too far from this event, and happened to be in the immediate location last year in my vehicle, so I drove-in :D

Had a nice time, and a lot of nice planes and people in attendance. I also saw probably 200-deer (seriously) on the private streets within the property on my way in. That was really cool! The deer were just standing around by peoples houses, beside the street, etc. A real cool private community. I'd like to live down there someday.

Last edited:
I also saw probably 200-deer (seriously) on the private streets within the property on my way in. That was really cool! The deer were just standing around by peoples houses, beside the street, etc.

Yikes! :eek: I sure hope they stay off the runway. I had a group of deer run right out in front of me across the runway once while landing my Cherokee 140 at Lakeway (3R9) in Austin. They waited until I had touched down at the threshold and was rolling out before starting their run too. I began an evasive maneuver aiming for one of the yards on the west side of the runway to dodge them when they suddenly did a 180 and ran back into the trees on the east side of the runway, and I was able to straighten back out and stay on the pavement. A move like that in my RV-6 would've surely ended up in a high-speed groundloop. A go-around in an RV might have been possible, but not in an underpowered wallowing pig of a Cherokee. Hitting a deer in either plane would've been a "Bad Day" too.

Regarding deer...

A friend of mine's son was doing his first solo at KHWY a few years back on a nice fall day. Deer ran out and impacted the aircraft just as it was lifting off the runway. Hit the fuselage between wing and tail. It was a C150 and it bent the elevator down a noticeable amount. Now I said he was lifting off and so he did. Ended up putting it in a field right off departure end. Plane was a mess as was his underwear but no injuries, etc. Not bad handling of an emergency for a first solo flight, huh?

Them deer be stupid - it as broad daylight on a runway that was about 50 yards from tree line.

I never saw any deer around the airport/runway. I didn't think to look to see if they have a high-fence around it to keep the deer out, but I sure didn't see any of them anywhere around the airport operations area. The deer were in the main home sub-divisions, quite aways from the airport. This community is laid out very cool. Even has its own full-blown grocery store, if I recall. I laughed when I'd see golf carts full of grocery bags tooling down the streets.

With the Young Eagles flights (constant) and the in/out flights of normal traffic, I'd bet the deer naturally stayed WAY away from this particular runway :)

Lookin for a ride

If someone is flying to this event from anywhere in West Texas and has an empty seat, I would really like to go. I'd be willing to pay for gas.

Hmm, only 55 miles away

Sounds like a nice fly-in. Too bad my plane isn't closer. Alas an 1-1/2 drive from my crashpad will put me there. If I get into DFW early enough Sat I'll pop on over.

Pecan Plantation Fly-In.

Only a few days to go. The weather looks great for Saturday. Come join us for another great Fly-In. If you can't make it or want to sign up for the raffle of a iPad mini 64 gig. Go to www.eaa983.org
See y'all there!

Pecan Plantation Fly-In Raffle On-Line

We've got a great Fly-In planned and it looks like the Weather will be great for Saturday.
If you can't make it or would just like to purchase your tickets early! We're raffling a "iPad Mini" wifi 64gig and a one night stay for 2 at the "Hangar Hotel".
You can buy tickets at www.eaa983.org. You do not have to be present to WIN and your contribution helps send a kid to the EAA AirVenture Camp.
Fly Safe well see y'all Saturday!

Well....how does the parking area look after all this rain? I'm flying a big heavy 10 now, can I get it in and out without any problems? :eek:

PECAN PLANTATION FLY-N IS A GO

THE PECAN PLANTATION FLY-IN IS A GO!
THE FIELD IS DRYING OUT NICELY AND WE HAVE GOOD WEATHER FORECAST.
SEE Y'ALL TOMORROW!

Back