What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior Paint

74Papa

What type paint is recommended for interior? Can I get by with Krylon or some other off-the-shelf product?

Thanks

I was happy with Sherwin Williams JetFlex and would do the same again. Really tough paint. I opted for the oil based. Best price I found was at Skygeek.

IMG_2324.JPG

2nd thumbs up for JetFlex. I used the waterborne version. Looks great, still tough as nails. And thins/cleans up with water.

Rustoleum

I'll be the first to admit there are better products, but I (as well as others on here) did just fine with rustoleum "hammered" finish. It comes in both rattle can and by the quart. I used the quart and an hvlp sprayer to do all the loose items of the cockpit such as floors and seats. I used a rattle can to do the insides of the fuselage (areas not covered by interior panels) and the tops of the canopy rails. Mostly silver. Panel and rails are a darker gray. All via Home Depot. It takes a long time to dry ice and hard though. You can probably see some photos in my build log, link below.

type, colour, location - durability?

What type paint is recommended for interior? Can I get by with Krylon or some other off-the-shelf product?

Thanks
As important as the type......
Sit in as many high-time RV's as you can, and see all the places where paint chips off!
You might want to use a tough coating or other scuff-guard in those spots.
...also, good time to note; the darker the colour, the less you see dirt ( to a point) and less reflection in the canopy...just harder to find dropped screws! :)

Thanks

I used Krylon Fusion (satin pewter gray) for my interior and have been happy with the results.

BTW, I actually shot test patches with a number of off-the-shelf rattle can paints before making my final decision, and Krylon Fusion was the clear winner. You can read about that here:
http://www.kalinskyconsulting.com/rvproj/interiorpaint.htm

I used rust oleum hammered paint, I like it. Just make sure to let it dry a few days before full use. I get in and out a lot right now doing electrical and finish work, seems to be holding up fine. It is like semi gloss so reflection isn't a problem

Bird

Another one for the hammered rattle can. Does take a while before fully cured, but is durable. The best thing I like about it though is that chips can be touched up easy. Seat belt hardware is great for taking out a chip here and there. The hammer finish conceals repaired spots as well.

+1 on JetFlex

I've been really happy with JetFlex water-based paint. After 465 hours, the only wear is on the left canopy rail but otherwise it's holding up really well. The only thing I'd probably change would be going with a dark grey to minimize canopy reflections.

I used and am very happy with the PPG Omni line of single-stage polyurathane. So far it has been tough as nails. Was also very easy to shoot with great coverage.

FP09092012A00057.jpg

+1 for rustoleum hammered knowing that id ding it up some during finishing. Its been pretty durable and touch ups are real easy to blend.

Back