What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric fuel pump really noisy!!

agirard7a

Well Known Member
Ok. My first time powering up the electric
Fuel pump for 0-320. (vans supplied Facet) Man that thing makes
a racket! Do I need to replace it or are they always
So darn loud??

I think I have the same one on my IO360. It's loud too and doesn't sound very smooth. Sounds like its slurping, but it pumps fuel. Once the motor is turning it sounds great!

Mine too

I also have a very loud fuel pump when first starting up. Been like that since installed; 400 hrs

They are not going to be quiet like our cars as it is attached to thin metal and not submerged in fuel. If they don't make noise, power is not reaching the windings or it is locked up. Makes them very easy to troubleshoot.

Mount the pump on rubber isolators and they won't be so loud. You really don't hear them during flight.

Yes, they are loud, especially if they are not pumping fuel. I have noticed
that on engine start, when I turn on the electric fuel pump, there is a correlation
between the indicated fuel pressure coming up and the fuel pump sound getting
noticeably quieter.

Al,

Yes they are loud! The six has your same facet pump and that is just e way ey are.

Build your wings!

;). CJ

I don't have this model of fuel pump but the one I have is loud. I don't hear it in flight but I like that after I turn off the active runway upon landing, it reminds me to shut the pump off.

Back