What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Familiar with Ventura area flying?

Cfrisella

Well Known Member
I have a question for those who fly the Ventura area. I recently moved to Channel Islands near Oxnard airport and have started commuting by air when weather permits to French Valley. I've noticed in the A/F directory for Camarillo that Mugu approach isn't listed, but is for Oxnard. Does this mean I'm reguired to use them imbound to Oxnard? Obviously if I am to enter Mugu airspace I am, but If I'm clear can I just call up Oxnard? Flights are VFR. Thanks

Yes

I fly from Hawthorne to Oxnard all the time. I believe you are not required to use Mugu approach. But they provide flight following and other services for the coast route. Often I have just called Oxnard when over Mugu. I have found that Mugu is very helpful and are not as busy as normal SoCal so I tend to use them more often than not.

Also, last time i looked Mugu airspace doesn't start until half way down the runway, but I think if you overfly the north end of the runway without calling, they will be tweaked.

Chris

Johnny is right on, not required at all but useful and friendly if you call them up for flight following etc. Mugu tower is happy to let you pass through their class D if necessary. I live in Camarillo and used to flight instruct there years ago, so anymore questions just ask.

Thanks
Mike

Back