What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Going to Catalina this weekend.

Cfrisella

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me what to expect here? Looking at google maps I can't tell if there's any tie downs and rather not park my baby in the dirt. Do I need to pack anything else besides the raft? Thanks !

There are some chains to tie to on the edge of the parking areas. I think you may need to bring your own ropes. The parking area at the southern end has a lot of loose stones. Best to stop on the taxyway and push back by hand.

Chocks should be sufficient for a day visit as the winds seldom get very strong.

The airport has a shop/restaurant and a few hiking trails nearby, but for anything else you will need to use the Avalon shuttle and make sure you don't miss the last return. The curfew hours are quite strict, so you must be wheels off by 7pm.

Landing fee is $25 or $150 for an annual pass.

It can also go IFR very rapidly especially early and late in the day.

Catalina Island

Common practice is to grab an IP or a pilot that is familiar with the airport and fly out there with them. The airport has a few tricks up it's sleeve that have bitten some pretty experienced pilots. Not the least is change in slope near the midpoint and a sight picture that for some starts to look like the island version of a carrier landing.

Be aware of some pot holes on the run way, the runway condition was not all that great last time I was there (about two years ago). There is a shuttle that takes people down to the ?happening place? in the island where restaurants and beaches are. You can call ahead of time to reserve your place in the bus and get the schedule. You want to arrive not after the bus has left as it does not go that often and it would be pity not to see the island.

Catalina is the closest thing I could call a "home" airport. I grew up on Catalina and have flown in there many times. There are tie-downs, but as mentioned, bring your own rope is case none is available. Most parking is on the dirt, so just push into the spot and there won't be a problem. Right traffic for Runway 22 is the most common. Call 5miles out Monitor CTAF well in advance and request wind and traffic information. There is usually someone manning the radio to give you the runway in use.

It would be best to have a local pilot with you the first time in since that airport can take some getting used to. Runway 22 slopes up quite a bit so you have to over-rotate or you will hit hard since the runway comes up to meet you. The runway levels off at the midpoint, so it will look like you are about to run off the end, but you are only halfway. Quite a few pilots have tried to take back off after touching down (thinking they were out of runway) only to end up off the far end of the runway.

Watch out for windshear and downdraft off the approach end of 22. You are coming in over a cliff (much larger drop than Sedona airport - if you have been there), so windy days are interesting. I usually approach a little high and then use the required over-rotate/flare to bleed off the excess energy.

If you depart from 22, the taxi is downhill and takeoff is uphill so don't overheat your brakes and remember not to panic when it "looks" like you are out of runway on take off roll (probably not an issue in the RV). Watch out for Mt Orizaba to the south so depart straight out or downwind.

Taking off from Runway4 is a blast since it is downhill and the massive dropoff at the end of the runway. Good luck and be safe.

Edit: Of course it doesn't hurt, but you don't really need the raft. You can put yourself in gliding distance of the mainland or island if you cross with enough altitude. The best part of flying to Catalina is the view, so make a circuit around the island to check it out. Watch out for other aircraft flying through Two Harbors (towards the west end where it looks like Catalina splits into two islands). Also, don't fly into the canyons low, they are all blind.

Last edited:
Be aware of some pot holes on the run way, the runway condition was not all that great last time I was there (about two years ago).

Here is the latest on the runway condition and other news in the June newsletter from the Catalina Aero Club:

The much anticipated runway repair for Airport in the Sky is finally about to commence. The runway will be closed from June 4 to June 16. It will reopen again on Father's Day, June 17.

We have two new "faces" up at the Tower to introduce. Rex Cotter, an islander and a 747 captain as well as former Catalina Airlines amphibious pilot, just joined the tower crew and will also help driving shuttles when needed.

We also have an intern/volunteer from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. Chris Felton is on an Air Traffic Control career path at the Prescott, Arizona, campus. He will be helping out this summer and taking on a few special projects for us. We hope that the internship program can be an annual feature of the airport's future.

Remember to book your hotel reservations early for the Avalon Air Show. Surely rooms on the Island will sell out. Air show dates are September 29 and 30. More information is available by calling (310) 510-2595, extension 818.

The departure times on the Wildlands Express Shuttle to Avalon have been changed for some time now. But, as a reminder, the express leaves Avalon for the Airport in the Sky at 7:45 a.m., then at two-hour intervals from 10 a.m. through the early evening: at noon, 2, 4 and 6 p.m. The six scheduled trips down to Avalon are every two hours as well, on the odd-numbered hours, beginning at 9 a.m.: at 11 a.m. and 1, 3, 5 and 7 p.m. The last runs of the day, from Avalon at 6 p.m., and back from the airport at 7 p.m., have only been added for the summer schedule.

Jorge O'Leary
Director, Airport in the Sky
Catalina Island Conservancy
(310) 510-0143

Are you in the club?
The Aero Club provides general aviation pilots with unlimited landings at the Airport in the Sky for one year; 20 percent off Wildlands Express shuttle services for the member and guests, and a free "Killer Cookie" for every $10 food purchase at the DC-3 Gifts and Grill. Join now.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I think I'll save Catalina for another day after I get more time in the plane and go there with someone having experience. I think I'd be okay, but why take chances. Already know what there to see and do anyways.
Sooooo....how about Big Bear? Other then density alt, is this a better option?

Big bear is fine

I like both Big bear and Catalina. Catalina is not difficult just different, For an RV with short field capability Catalina is not a big deal; there is no ned to land at the exact start of the runway, so carrying a little extra altitude on approach is not a big deal and over comes all the issues. the biggest concern for me is the potholes, but those are easy enough to avoid and not an issue with an RV's slow landing and rotation speeds. I think a Cozy or bonanza would be more challenging. Big bear is fine, I would just advise to land and take off in early morning or late afternoon to avoid density altitude issues. But again, with an RV it is a non-issue. If one has at least a few hundred hours, I would think either would be safe and fun. JMHO.
By the way, last weekend the am news reported Katy Perry was doing Karaoke in Avalon with a girl friend; she was using a fake name. Probably find something about it on you tube.

Need another Pilot?

Where you located? If you would like another pilot to go along look me up. Been to big bear a couple times, but not Catalina. IFR rated, could meet you somewhere and share some costs.

Derek

I was at Catalina after the "runway fix". I personally think its just as bad or worse except the tarmac is blacker and the lines whiter. Pot holes bottom out my little struts in my Lancair no problem. Landing fee is 25 bucks up from the 20 it used to be. If it were me I would be looking at Big Bear. Less rules, less money, less bumps, and probably less heat. The last two days the fog hasn't been in but prior to that it was foggy in the mornings for a week or so.

A few guys from work and I would fly to Catalina for lunch occasionally, ended up having 5 airplanes go a few weeks ago, but with the higher prices and just as many bumps in the runway, I doubt I will go back, just not worth it to me.

If you do go to Catalina realize that as your wheels touch down you will not be able to see the other end of the runway. It appears to just disappear. No biggie if you know its coming.

Think about Fallbrook practice

Chris:

If you get down to San Diego before a future trip to the Airport In the Sky (Catalina), you might consider some approaches at Fallbrook (L18):

1. It's the same "lopped off the top of a hill" construction, so the visual on final to 18 is interesting.

2. The 60' width is "wide enough if you land on the centerline" as my CFI said.

3. The runway has a definite crook in it.

Mind the Camp Pendleton airspace - immediately(!) to the West.

Back