What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

California property tax question

Cfrisella

Well Known Member
I fear I know the answer to this, but still need to ask. My 7A was completed last November. All my use taxes were paid in full totaling about 5500.00. A couple minutes ago I opened an unsecured property tax bill for fiscal year July 1,2012 to June 30, 2013. Amount 1301.64 assessed on 115,00.00 which is California's value placed on the aircraft. Do I get to see this payment every year? I'm thinking I get to.

Welcome to California!
Yes, you pay property tax every year. Fortunately the sales tax (hidden as the use tax on out of state purchases) is once and done.
Property tax is approximately 1% of assessed value (which is supposed to be actual market value). I think the actual tax rate varies a bit from county to county. I think I pay slightly more than 1%. (Alameda County outside San Francisco).
Tax is on owner of record as of 1 January and usually due in August, so if you got your AW certificate last November you now owe.
Keep in mind if you ever sell the plane in the months January - August, if you still owned the plane on 1 January you will still owe the property tax come August.
Every year, at least here in Alameda County, I get a form from the tax assessor asking about condition, avionics, etc. They also ask for the amount of hull insurance I carry.
They scan the FAA database, which is how they find you. Last year I got a letter from them, after I applied for my registration; I replied that as I did not yet have an airworthiness certificate I did not own an airplane, but rather a bunch of airplane parts. That satisfied them. However, this year, (any day now in fact) I expect to get a property tax bill, just like you.
You are free to dispute the value they placed on your aircraft; if you carry less than $115,000 in hull insurance you can probably make your case.
To add insult to injury, I lease a hangar from the city of Livermore at KLVK. State law exempts cities from paying property tax. However, the law apparently allows them to send the bill directly to the lessees (me), so I get to pay the annual property tax on the hangar, too. Fortunately it is less than $200.
CA prop 13 does not apply to airplanes, so if the market value goes up so will your tax. However, if the value goes down then make sure you get it re-assessed. I previously owned a C182 and the tax assessor actually did a pretty good job of following the market, both up and down, pretty much following the value of our hull insurance.

Yeaaaaah.... That's what I thought. Thanks for the info. I'm only insured for 70k so maybe I'll make a case. Most likely will be a waste of time, I'm sure.

If that's the case I'll bet they lower your bill.
Formally dispute the evaluation; show them the insurance coverage. Use words like "VFR avionics", no deluxe interior, no paint (or "I did the paint myself, it stinks"), no CS prop, whatever applies.

They really don't know the aviation market that well, especially homebuilts. Point out that some high priced 7A's are "show quality".

Good luck. If it's worth enough to you, you have the option of hiring a lawyer and going to court.

My 10 is insured for $140K, and if I get a bill based on more than that I will certainly appeal. ("No interior, poor do-it-yourself paint").

Bob

I'm only insured for 70k so maybe I'll make a case. Most likely will be a waste of time, I'm sure.

Probably not a waste of time. Make an appointment, take your docs and they'll probably adjust it straight away. They want their taxes but only what they feel they are owed; no more.

I can confirm that the value can be disputed pretty easily. They really just take a shot in the dark at value with homebuilts and will adjust with little more than a phone call to the office. My Mooney on the other hand, seemed to be viewed as some kind of cash cow - It has no wing, no engine, no paint, and no interior - yet they pegged it at $25k! I called the county and told the assessor that I'd be HAPPY to sell him the whole thing for 10 cents on the dollar at that price - but it took a few pictures to convince them.

I had the same issue, I took in documentation of a couple of RV10's that had sold in the last year, I had copies of the bills of sale, photos of the aircraft outside, inside, and panels. Also had my insurance paperwork. And of course, photos of my unpainted plane, with no fancy interior for comparison.

It worked for me, got it lowered by something like 23000 assessed value, down to what I have it covered for in a total loss.

Variation on the tax question

I have this nagging question:

I've been paying out-of-state sales tax each year when I file my California income tax, as required by California law. So the initial QB purchase, Finishing Kit, out-of-state vendors, I track them and pay the sales taxes each year.

However, I haven't kept exact records showing how those purchases correlate to the sales tax I pay on the 540 form. I have a bad feeling when I finally register my airplane, I'm going to have to pay a total sales tax again. Any ideas?

I have this nagging question:

I've been paying out-of-state sales tax each year when I file my California income tax, as required by California law. So the initial QB purchase, Finishing Kit, out-of-state vendors, I track them and pay the sales taxes each year.

However, I haven't kept exact records showing how those purchases correlate to the sales tax I pay on the 540 form. I have a bad feeling when I finally register my airplane, I'm going to have to pay a total sales tax again. Any ideas?

I can't speak for CA, but I did the same in OH. They requested copies of all my invoices to document the sales tax I paid on my annual state return. Geting copies from Van's isn't an issue.

Well.... If they ask that, I might just say " good day". Got off easy once already and I don't want to my personal greed get the better.

I live in Contra Costa county. One year I thought they had overvalued my Cessna 180 so I took a copy of trade-a-plane to the assessors office and they made the adjustment no questions asked and were very nice about. Often if you go and talk to the people in person with a good attitude they see it you way as they are just employees and have no personal gain in it. Also you can do the tax exemption deal with home built airplanes as there are normally less than 3 or 5 built by the builder of that model if you don't mind putting it on display 12 days a year at your friendly local airport.
Nigel
Kccr rv6

I live in Contra Costa county. One year I thought they had overvalued my Cessna 180 so I took a copy of trade-a-plane to the assessors office and they made the adjustment no questions asked and were very nice about. Often if you go and talk to the people in person with a good attitude they see it you way as they are just employees and have no personal gain in it. Also you can do the tax exemption deal with home built airplanes as there are normally less than 3 or 5 built by the builder of that model if you don't mind putting it on display 12 days a year at your friendly local airport.
Nigel
Kccr rv6

I don't think RV's would qualify... but know a friend who gets the CA tax exemption for a 50's Bonanza.

"For property tax purposes, "Aircraft of Historical Significance" means any aircraft which is an original, restored, or replica of a heavier than air powered aircraft which is 35 years or older or any aircraft of a type or model of which there are fewer than five in number known to exist worldwide."

http://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/exempt.htm#1

Correction -

RV-3s would qualify under the replica of a 35 year or older plane...
RV-4 guys have to wait until 2014...:)

Last edited:
I think he is claiming it would fit under the five or fewer rule because the "type" is "Alexander Gil", not "Vans". Interesting interpretation.

I think he is claiming it would fit under the five or fewer rule because the "type" is "Alexander Gil", not "Vans". Interesting interpretation.

If he put "RV" in the registration, then they probably would have more than 5 in the county...:)

Yes, and that is what folks in CA are doing with home builts. Give it a go - they can only say no - and they should say yes.

Well, your plane is unique.....unless you built exxacctyllllyyy to plans (or a fresh RV-12 light sport) it's yours, based around a popular base airframe which you have modified.

Back