What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-Mag Questions

mfshook62

Well Known Member
I just purchased a new set of PMags with auto plugs, and I am interested in receiving feedback about what to expect regarding performance, lead fouling of plugs, best places for MAP hook up, and which auto plugs are working best for others. The main reason to switch from the existing Slick to the P-mags was improved advance curve and performance, Im tired of the old buzz box, and not having to clean lead deposits off the massive electrode plugs every 20 hours or less. I have an RV9a with a carbureted Lycoming O-235 and setup with a Vans boost pump. I will be installing the PMags next week.

Thanks for your time,

Mike Shook
RV9a
942WG

P=Mag Experience

I've never had a lead fouling problem with the PMags and auto plugs. I use the recommended NGK plugs and they have worked fine for me in my IO-360.
I lean aggressively on the ground and fly ROP in formation and LOP for cross country and have no lead fouling issues. I think the PMags are key to being able to run lean of peak. You likely won't be able to because of the carb, but you should still get better starts and smoother running overall.
Just my experience...

Seb Trost
RV-7A 380 hours
Boulder City, NV

I have flown 3 different generations of e-mag's and P-mag's with 100's of hours on each. I only had one problem, that involved the SB and was promptly fixed by Emag.
I'm currently running 2 P-mag's with auto plugs (NGK) and love them. The engine stars like a car hot or cold. It runs smoother. Installation and maintenence are a piece of cake. Plus the Emag guy's are great and provide exception service.

Doug Crumrine
RV-8 N169FS

I ran two Slicks, a Slick and an E-Mag, and an E-Mag and a P-Mag. Adding the E saved me about a gallon per hour (carbed o-320,) made the engine easier to start and smoother, and added very little performance. Adding the second P-Mag saved only about .2 gph but boosted the climb and cruise. I gained about 5 mph cruise. I idle at about 400 rpm and the engine is smooth at that speed. Very rough with a Slick in the system. YMMV.

Bob Kelly

Everyone says to use Auto plugs. How do you know which PN plug to use? Anyone know the plug PN for an o-320 (ECI kit)?

Everyone says to use Auto plugs. How do you know which PN plug to use? Anyone know the plug PN for an o-320 (ECI kit)?

Tony, it is in the manual:
Emag manual said:
Auto Plug Notes - There are a number of auto spark plug styles and temperature ranges available through automotive outlets. E-MAG has NOT undertaken studies to compare the relative durability/suitability of different plugs. Customers need to monitor plug condition and evaluate/adjust as necessary. We offer the following list of plug alternatives that are reported (BY OTHERS) to work in most installations.

1. NGK BR8ES 2.5mm Center Electrode (our standard "set-up" plug)
2. NGK BR8EV Gold Palladium Center Electrode

Auto Spark Plug Adapters - Plug adapters permit the use of 14mm automotive type plugs with a ¾” reach. [Not suitable with engines that use long-reach (13/16”) aircraft plugs.] First, install adapters with the supplied gasket on the spark plugs finger tight. Then, insert in engine and tighten to 15 ft/lb (standard plug torque).

Note 1: If you install and torque the adapters separately, stresses will be focused at
the adapter neck and can cause it to fail during installation.
I use the BR8ES plugs with a gap of .032, which has given me good service.

Last edited:
A Note on the Adaptors

I want to say that I disagree with emagair on torquing the adapters, when I bought a set Klaus's from Aircraft Spruce, I am pretty sure he makes them for emagair (they look identical). They came with instructions to torque them in first at 25 foot pounds, then the plugs at 15. If you put them in finger tight like emagair says, you will have them come out all the time when you pull the plugs and it is a bit of a pain and it tends to wear them out. See this thread.

Hans

When installing Emag adapters, follow the Emag instructions

I want to say that I disagree with emagair on torquing the adapters, when I bought a set Klaus's from Aircraft Spruce, I am pretty sure he makes them for emagair (they look identical). They came with instructions to torque them in first at 25 foot pounds, then the plugs at 15. If you put them in finger tight like emagair says, you will have them come out all the time when you pull the plugs and it is a bit of a pain and it tends to wear them out. See this thread.

Hans
I think P-mag must sell different adapters. If you try and torque the Emag adapter in place w/o the plug in it, you WILL crush them. Just ask me how I know. (I'll give you a hint, I followed the instructions from someone who installed Klaus's adapters.)

When using the adapters from Emag, follow the Emag instructions!

Does anyone know if E-mag will offer a Sun-n-Fun show discount? I am getting ready to order mine and will kick myself if they offer a sweet discount a month later.

Do you have an engine yet?

Does anyone know if E-mag will offer a Sun-n-Fun show discount? I am getting ready to order mine and will kick myself if they offer a sweet discount a month later.

Emag had a pre-show deal last year and I bought mine then, but when I bought my engine the price Mattituck would have charged me to add the PMags was less than what I bought them from Emag for, I think they ran a 30% discount special. You had to buy from them before SnF, instead of a special at SnF they ran the pre-show special I liked it because it allowed me to concentrate on other items

So if you have not bought you engine, see what the engine guys will sell them for before you buy them outright. It think I was out something like $300 once you consider what I paid for mags and wires and when Mattituck would have charged me for the same items.

Cheers

My Experience Pre-Torquing was Different

I think P-mag must sell different adapters. If you try and torque the Emag adapter in place w/o the plug in it, you WILL crush them. Just ask me how I know. (I'll give you a hint, I followed the instructions from someone who installed Klaus's adapters.)

When using the adapters from Emag, follow the Emag instructions!

That is interesting Bill, very different from my experience. Last spark plug change I only used two of the new "Klaus" adapters, the other six were the original units that came with my pmags, and I had no problems torqueing them down first using the "Klaus" instructions.

When did you get your adapters from the p-mag people? Mine were 2008 vintage I believe.

I say if the guy's name sounds German, he must know what he is talking about ;)

Hans

...When did you get your adapters from the p-mag people? Mine were 2008 vintage I believe.
Hans,

I don't think the vintage matters. When I called Emag for a replacement last year, they said this was common and to follow the manual.

Back