What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need O-360 Airbox Carb Heat Door part info

CABaye

I'm New Here
The carb heat door on my RV-6A has an excessively worn hinge, I need to replace it and possibly the door. What are the part numbers for the hinge and the thickness of the door metal? Also, my Airbox was assembled with flush rivits, will blind rivets suffice for the repair?

Thanks,

Chris

new FAB carb heat door design

Use the "new and improved" carb heat door design from Van's:
https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/filtered-air-box-fab-instructions/

I just rebuilt mine after 950 hours on it. My control arm was starting to oval out, and the extruded hinge was wearing out too.

The new design uses air seal rubber/fabric as the hinge, and an improved control arm (that incorporates a bushing welded to the arm) to eliminate the arm and hinge wearing over time.

Control arm P/N: VA-00122-1
Door thickness: probably on the plans somewhere....I used .040"
Also, mine went back together with some flush blind rivets: CS4-4
air seal rubber/fabric: the stuff Van's sells for engine baffle seals

Last edited:
FAB control arm

Did the new arm come with the bolt, nut, and washers for securing the control wire?

Jerry,

The new arm did not come with attach hardware. I took a standard AN3 bolt (don't remember what length) and cross drilled a hole through the shank for the push-pull cable wire. It took some experimenting with washers and nut torque to figure out the appropriate nut "tightness". Too tight, bolt won't turn in the bushing. Too loose and the door won't stay closed (carb heat on) in flight (wants to open slightly). It works fine now.

Airbox Arm

Jerry,

The new arm did not come with attach hardware. I took a standard AN3 bolt (don't remember what length) and cross drilled a hole through the shank for the push-pull cable wire. It took some experimenting with washers and nut torque to figure out the appropriate nut "tightness". Too tight, bolt won't turn in the bushing. Too loose and the door won't stay closed (carb heat on) in flight (wants to open slightly). It works fine now.

Steve, thanks for input. I have replaced that arm about 3 times and hope the new style will hold up better. After replacing the hinge several times, I used orange baffle seal which works very well. It's rigid enough to hold the door closed until pulled open.

Thanks again

Is the hinge material the same as baffle seal material?

I am updating my FAB kit dating from about 2013 to the revised 2021 spec so that I can resume my build. As noted here, they changed the piano hinge material for the carb heat door with "Garlock seal fabric" (as quoted in the video on the subject). The Vans part number is #AIRSEAL FABRIC 6X6 referred to as "Airseal Fabric 6"X6" Baffle Material". If this is indeed the same stuff as the baffle seal, I have plenty left over. However, in the video, it looks to be a thinner gauge.

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the same material as that supplied for the baffle seals?

I am updating my FAB kit dating from about 2013 to the revised 2021 spec so that I can resume my build. As noted here, they changed the piano hinge material for the carb heat door with "Garlock seal fabric" (as quoted in the video on the subject). The Vans part number is #AIRSEAL FABRIC 6X6 referred to as "Airseal Fabric 6"X6" Baffle Material". If this is indeed the same stuff as the baffle seal, I have plenty left over. However, in the video, it looks to be a thinner gauge.

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the same material as that supplied for the baffle seals?

Yes
The same material supplied in the standard baffle kit ( not the RV-14 Baffle kit) is what is used for the hinge material on the updated FAB.

Back