What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alabama FBO

dmaib

Well Known Member
I just completed a very long trip (approx. 3600 NM). I flew from New Smyrna Beach to Bentonville AR. last Thursday, spent the night with my brother, and we left the next morning for a flight to Phoenix. We met up with some other friends in Phoenix and had a three day "boys weekend" of Spring Training baseball. Lots of fun. Yesterday morning, we left Phoenix to return to Bentonville. It turned out to be a long stressful day with wintery weather in Arizona and New Mexico, and the mother of all lines of thunderstorms in TX and AR. The plan was for me to stay the night in Bentonville and then head on to Florida this morning. Well, the line of storms was bearing down on Bentonville when we got there yesterday PM, so I elected to press on to the Shelby County airport in Alabaster, AL. (KEET) I have used that airport several times for fuel stops and know it to be a good stop. My brother called them while I was enroute (hasty departure from Bentonville due to ominous roll cloud just west of the airport) to make arrangements for me. I did not arrive until about 9:30 PM. There was a Chevy Impala with the keys in it waiting for me on a beautiful balmy evening in Alabama. I was glad to be on the ground after 10+ hours in the airplane. This FBO is a really nice operation. Self-serve fuel prices are always reasonable, the facility is new and beautiful, and the people are the best. Nice runway with good instrument approaches are also a plus. Local RV'rs have dropped by to chat every time I have been there for refueling.
I would, however, recommend that you NOT stay at the Shelby Motor Lodge. Drive a couple of extra miles to the Hampton or the Holiday Inn Express. Believe me, it is worth the extra drive time and a few $$. Really worth it! I mean REALLY worth it.
This was my longest trip to date on this airplane. What a traveling machine! Having the onboard WSI weather was the only reason I was able to complete the trip yesterday. Priceless.

Last edited:
Back