What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon roll servo limiting bracket install (RV-14) help

llaux

Hello,

Can someone share photos or notes on how they installed the servo limiting bracket on the Dynon roll servo on the RV-14 please?

It appears that you have to modify the servo mounting bracket (W-823-AP) near where the wiring harnesses connect to allow the limiting bracket to fit. Before I start chopping away at things I wanted to ask how others have done it.

Thank you!
-Logan

Jake, thanks for sharing. Looks like I need to locate the screw hole under the servo support bracket and create a hole there for a screw to pass thru. I will also need to bypass the wire harness holder like you did.

Thanks again,
Logan

The reason modifications are required if the stop is installed, is because we don't specify that it be used.

It is of no benefit with our type of servo installation because there is really no way for an over center condition of the arm to ever occur since we have hard control stops and no cables that can go slack and no way that push/pull rods can change length.

The reason modifications are required if the stop is installed, is because we don't specify that it be used.

It is of no benefit with our type of servo installation because there is really no way for an over center condition of the arm to ever occur since we have hard control stops and no cables that can go slack and no way that push/pull rods can change length.

Scott,
Thanks for stating that so clearly. I came to the same conclusion when I installed my servos last year but I still get a nervous twitch every time I see the limiting brackets on my leftover parts shelf.

Scott, I agree that the push-pull rods are a good safety device to prevent the servos from going over center, but being a belt-and-suspenders type, I still hate to eliminate a safety feature like the stop bracket. It's possible a badly-adjusted linkage or incorrect servo arm install could still let the arm go over center. Also, other parts of the linkage may fail or be damaged somehow. For example, the length of the arm which transfers the servo force to the bellcrank (circled) has a fair amount of leverage all concentrated on that nut plate (arrow) and if it should loosen or bend, conceivably the servo arm could also go over center...(maybe just my paranoia :)

DSCN0879.JPG

Back