What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old parts in new kit?

Aero_Octaveus

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever received old parts in a new kit from Vans?

I was looking at my RV-7A gear mounts and the left one is brand new (07/31/18) but the right side they shipped me is from (10/21/15)?? The part that really concerns me is that there is already blue sharpie marker on it?

Should I be concerned? Considering its a $300 weldment I'm kind of annoyed.

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

Last edited:
I would agree . . . and contact Vans/email w/pix.

Vans makes parts for stock in batches, part of their low cost manufacturing process. But - surely they have made and shipped batches for 7A in the last three years.

An older part is one thing, but the mark around the weld is curious. You might want to email Vans and see what that "code" might mean. The mark can likely be totally removed with isopropyl alcohol, but sometimes they stain. I have had that happen and getting it all off sometimes was corrected by sunlight exposure. YMMV

I ordered a Quick Start (Slick shower of sparks) from Vans, and received a factory-refurbished unit (yellow tag and all). An email to Vans resolved the issue (an apology, and an offer of the correct new one, or the discounted price of the one I had).

Have any of the holes been reamed out to fit bolts?

Or do they still have powder coating in them?

Agreed, as long as they matched that revision of the plans.

When I received my RV-3B kit in 2012, a few of the parts dated back to 1989. They were no better or worse than any of the more recent parts.

Dave
RV-3B, still building the fuselage

Powder coating looks relatively intact, however this has been fitted onto a cross section at some point. One of the bottom wing bolt holes for sure has seen a bolt. Also it appears that someone has tried to fit the gear leg in the socket hole as the inside for sure has been polished. This is not new old stock, but rather "open box" item. Other than that they are identical and I held it up to my bulkhead and all the holes line up. But it begs the question....Why? Why is it an open box item? Why did someone use it and then return it to stock or back to Vans?

Better pics can be viewed here. https://garetsrv.blogspot.com/2018/12/blog-post.html

I'll email Vans and see what they say. I'd feel much better about the situation if they would exchange it for a new one.

My guess would be a late change of mind and decision to convert to a taildragger. The big question would be why would vans take it back after so long a time frame from original purchase? Isn?t there a statute of limitations on returns?

Back