What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich Composite Ground Adjustable Prop

Christopher Murphy

Well Known Member
I have been flying with a Sensi GA prop for about a year now. I found it to be under pitched at the highest pitch setting ( pin number 7 ) I just sent the blades back to have the index pins relocated to allow for more pitch.

Don, at Sensenich , sent me a chart comparing the pitch settings for the 180 hp prop to the 160 hp prop.. ( same prop blades more pitch )

I am curious to know what what pitch pin settings are any other RV4 160 hp or 180 hp using.

CM

I'm currently using the #6 setting for my 160hp RV6 for cold weather flying. When hotter weather gets here, I usually run the #5 setting to get better takeoff and climb performance when the density altitude goes way up.

I'm using #5 on my RV-9A. Started out at #4 as recommended. Not a huge difference either way with the top speed.

Any RV4s using this prop?

These are the pitch in inches of the various pitch pins per sensenich. When my prop comes back it will be indexed as a 0360 prop.
I sure would like to hear what pitch other RV4s are using with this prop.

Cm

O-320
2 = 62 Pitch
3 = 63
4 = 65
5 = 67
6 = 69
7 = 70

O-360
2 = 67 Pitch
3 = 69
4 = 70
5 = 72
6 = 74
7 = 76

Hi Christopher,
Originally in my RV-6 with a 0-320 160 HP, I used the #4 pin. After the overhauled with ported cylinders, ~175 HP, I swithed to #6 pin. My goal is to reach 2750 max RPM at 1000' in order to get the max power of the engine.

Raynald

Those that have purchased the Sensenich GA are you happy with your purchase? Regret not going with a Catto? I have a Sensenich FP on an O-360 RV-8 that I would like to replace with a lighter prop and hopefully eliminate the 25lb sand bag in the aft baggage compartment.

prop pirep

Those that have purchased the Sensenich GA are you happy with your purchase? Regret not going with a Catto? I have a Sensenich FP on an O-360 RV-8 that I would like to replace with a lighter prop and hopefully eliminate the 25lb sand bag in the aft baggage compartment.
I have had 3 different props on my 160hp rv4

metal sensenich,,,, best all around performance.. couldn't live with the 2600 rpm restriction because of the acro I do.

catto 2 blade.... smooth, well made, built for top speed.... it was fast at high rpm but wasn't very good at less than 2800rpm or high altitude

sensenich GA.... smooth, really pulls well at low rpm, ( take off ) weighed 24 lbs installed with a 2.25 inch spacer from them. I am very happy with it and if I can just tweak a little bit more bite out of it I think it will be a winner. I had sabre make an 11 lb spacer for me but it sounds like light is good for you.

I have about 75 hours of pretty hard use on it and it seems to be holding up very well.

My only gripe is that the manual says pin 8, and 9 are available but they aren't. therefore, I am having mine reindexed to the 180hp version.

I guess I am the tester for the RV4?

cm

Thanks for your review Chris. Still thinking this through. I believe the 2600 rpm Sensenich limit is removed for the O-360 vs O-320.

2600 rpm limit

Dont think the 180 prop ever had a 2600 rpm limit

If I hadnt gotten into the xc racing scene or started doing airshows with the airplane that metal prop would probably still be on it. I think the GA prop will give me what I want once I get it dialed in..

Cm

These are the pitch in inches of the various pitch pins per sensenich. When my prop comes back it will be indexed as a 0360 prop.
I sure would like to hear what pitch other RV4s are using with this prop.

Cm

O-320
2 = 62 Pitch
3 = 63
4 = 65
5 = 67
6 = 69
7 = 70

O-360
2 = 67 Pitch
3 = 69
4 = 70