What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Realistic useful load after completion

workky

Maybe not the best wording

Are you guys finding your 10"s after completion are falling inline with vans numbers as far as empty weight?

Is the empty weight on vans website with a basic RV-10 as far as interior and panel. Ive seen some 10's that look pimped out to the max as far as interior and panel, it would seem to increase the weight significantly

Thanks

My Basic Empty Weight is 1602 lbs, leaving 2700-1602 = 1098 lbs useful load, or (-360 lbs) 738 lbs load with full (60 gal tanks) fuel. I cannot carry 4 NFL linemen, as someone recently complained. But 4 180 lb people, 20 lbs of bags, and full fuel, yes. To do this:
1. Full IFR panel (dual GRT HX/HS, EIS; Dynon D6; Garmin 420W and SL30; Trio Pro autopilot; Trig TT22 transponder (remote); home made audio panel/intercom; xm radio for music; Skyradar D2 for adsb-in (Trig TT22 is mode S-ES for ADSB-out). Backup battery for EFIS but only one alternator.
2. Vans's seats covered in leather by local shop, floor covered with boat carpet (meets boat burn tests), but very little else in interior. No insulation, some cloth on some walls. No console center or on ceiling. Interior ceiling painted.
3. Very thin (poor) final coat do-it-yourself exterior paint (but pretty good primer).
My cg would be a bit forward of the forward limit when I fly solo (I have short legs so I'm forward), so I carry 20 lbs of water in the back. With a load I pour the water out; with all seats full and enough in the baggage area you do have to pay attention to the zero fuel cg location.

Here's my numbers: 2700 GW - 1655 empty weight = 1045 useful load

I have the standard Hartzell 2-bladed prop, full IFR panel, full interior (Flight Line by Abby), fiberglass overhead console, and exterior paint (paint shop applied PPG single stage urethane).

I run a takeoff and landing W&B for each flight, use a 5 gal collapsible water bladder for ballast, and have a FuelStik brand dipstick calibrated for the RV-10 in case I need to go with partial tanks (although I never have).

My numbers are almost exactly the same as Bob's. 1605 empty. And I got there about the same way....stock airplane with basic interior. Must be a Turner thing. I personally prefer the painted look to upholstery, and it sure is functional. Pushing 300 hours in three years, mostly long cross-country with 3-4 people and baggage on board. Happy with my strategy.

https://goo.gl/photos/89ndk1NnqdBFY8ip8

https://goo.gl/photos/L3WA3Msn5Ka1rvA56

Last edited:
While my RV-10 is a little heavier than the ones above, I have similar numbers with a little less useful load. I have a well equipped cross county cruiser will all the amenities.

I am aware of others that have tested with a higher gross weight. I'm also aware of others that have registered a higher gross weight than 2700. While it's not supported by Van's, its legal to do, you are the manufacturer.

However, like Bob mentioned, four adult males can create some interesting dynamics. In my RV-10, the closer to gross weight I am, the problem I have as I burn fuel, my CG drifts AFT beyond the limits, unless I can get the majority of the weight in the front seats. With four adult males, that's hard to do.

I registered my RV-10 with a 2700lb gross weight. I was more concerned what the insurance company may demand in the future should an incident occur in why did I deviate from the plans and Van's recommendation.

My W&B data:
N959RV Weight & Balance Data
Empty Weight: 1703 lbs. (8 qts oil & Wheel Fairings @ #3.75 lbs. each
Gross Weight: 2700 lbs.
Datum: 99.44" forward of wing leading edge
CG Range Limits: 107.84" - 116.24" aft of Datum
Fuel: 108.90" Aft of Datum
Pilot/Front Passenger: 114.58" Aft of Datum
Rear Seat Passengers: 151.26" Aft of Datum
Baggage: 173.50" Aft of Datum
Right Wheel: 688 lbs., arm 123.85", moment 85209
Left Wheel: 685 lbs., arm 124.15", moment 85043
Nose Wheel: 330 lbs., arm 49.90", moment 16467
Total Weight: 1703 lbs., moment 186719
Empty CG: 109.64" (moment divided by weight)

1683 lbs empty
2700 lbs MTOW
MT 3 blade prop
Sound insulation
Overhead console
AFS deck
VP-200
GNS430W
SL30
GTX330
PMA8000A
Seats alcantara like burn proof fabric
Aerosportproducts side panels

Regards
Mike

1604 empty
2700 gross
empty CG 108.59
Basic interior (leather seats, carpet and cloth covering on canopy and sidewalls)
Hartzell BA prop
AFS 3500 EFIS with SL30 and 430W

Unpainted and no interior
Gross 2,800Lb
Empty Weight 1,561Lb
CG 106.66"
Hartzell BA 2-blade
Dual G3X with GTN650 and VP-X

I think most IFR comfy but not over the top -10's will be 1700lbs plus or minus a bit.

Second batteries or alternators and all the gear.....all adds up.

People could lose weight easier......I should take my own advice :eek:

Back