What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New to me PMags and EI Commander👍

Jetj01

Well Known Member
My LASER Unison/Slick ignition controller finally gave me a controller error and the Slicks reverted to 'normal' as advertised but this gave me the the green light I needed to pull my LASER system and install dual PMags in my RV-4FB with O-360 and CS prop. One word: NICE👍👍👍

Yes, initially I had higher CHT's, but also much lower EGT and fuel flow was less. And it just seemed smoother. Anyway, as a former operational test pilot I felt I wanted to know what was going on in these amazing devices and so talked to Brad about my desires to monitor the activities. He advised about the EI Commander. I ordered one, installed it in a day and here's my broad brush statement, IF YOU HAVE DUAL PMAGS, YOU SHOULD HAVE THE EIC!

Today I 'commanded' a slight shift to my PMags which solved my CHT problem and seeing the 'health' of my plug wires and plugs, as well as how flawlessly the two PMags are operating INDEPENDANTLY but still in unison with each other- GOLD. Bill and team, my praises👍

Overall, the installation, timing, and PMag operation has exceeded my expectations and just impressed with the geniuses out there in the experimental world. Yah, I was late to the PMag game but here now and love them👍

Anyone needing a LASER system let me know. Slicks are one 'bush' kit with impulse and one normal👍

Five hours on PMags, still AWESOME

I have put two XC flights and several local flights on my new PMag setup. Still absolutely impressed. Again, highly recommend the EIC. My neighbor installed PMags on his RV a year ago but after seeing the EIC setup in mine and its benefits, has ordered and is installing an EI Commander.

Several of you have called/texted asking about CHTs. Initially with the 'B' program I was experiencing CHTs hovering around 410. They were all even across the four cylinders with considerably less EGT with the same fuel flows. After selecting the 'A' program the CHT's are now averaging 385 degrees. EGT remains much lower with same FF. Overall my top speed has increased, FF is less for leaning operations compared to my Slicks and still- seems smoother.

Two thumbs up!

Good to hear of your results. I should be flying soon on a single P-Mag with plans to replace the left Slick w/ impulse some time next year. Will have to take a look a the EI Commander now too. It's only money :D

EI Commander can 'command'

I totally get the cost factor, 'it's only money' comments😁 Trying think in 'aviation units' instead of $$$$$ 😜

Couple interested parties mentioned what use is the EI Commander thinking it only displayed the internal nuances of the 114 PMags. While true it shows the dynamics of what is happening real time with the PMags, it also shows the health of your installation, be it single or dual PMag set up, i.e. Plugs and wires and timing between the two PMags if dual installed. But as importantly it allows you to 'design' your own timing, shift angle either on the ground or in flight. I think considerable caution and research should go into designer changes especially in flight (where only one PMag can be changed at a time), but the ability to do so allows you to customize your PMag to your adaptation/situation. Pretty cool!

And finally, no, I paid retail for my PMags and EI Commander, not getting any 'kick backs' or deals, just happy with the product. My -4 was already faster than most, but I've picked up a couple more knots, you might too👍

EIC display stability ?

Sounds like some happy users above ! My dual Pmag / EIC setup has a constant instability in the last couple of digits on both MAP and RPM display. I have added small orifices in ALL the tubing from cyl head and every line going to Pmags and MAP sensor. I still get what I call digital flicker.

Bill R. says an accumulator tank should not be required. Am I expecting too much ?

RPM/MAP Flicker- Yes

Hi Larry,

Yes, last two digits flicker. I believe it's a fidelity/processor rate issue. I get it at higher RPMs only. In general I don't run my EIC on that 'page'. I run most the time the deviation/timing page that also, below 1800 rpm, shows condition of plugs/wires and PMag well being. (B3) I have a VM1000 that is my engine monitor with continuous RPM/MAP so don't need it displayed on EIC. Just as a backup. But no doubt, last two digits flicker. On the home page where it starts with EIC you can also detect a flicker on my IEC. But no problems in the 'command' or status pages.

Cheers,

Thanks for for the for the very nice PIREP! It It is It is good It is good to hear all is working well!

Larry, can you send me a picture of the screen you have issues with? We might be able to do something with the software to smooth it out.

A couple of of other things.

Although we provide the ability to change your timing configuration in flight, we we do we do not recommend it. If you miss configure you ignitions, bad things could happen, up to and including death.

If you are running P-mags on a Lycoming engine, the P-mags should have their timing configuration adjusted to match your engine! No jumper between pins pins 2 & 3 means the timing starts at around 32? and advances from there. Putting the jumper in shifts those numbers down 5?, which is good for most stock compression (8.5:1) parallel vslve engines.

Most stock compression angle valve engines should have their timing reduced another 5?.

Bill,

What about the configuration for a Titan IO-360 with high compression pistons (9.1:1)? Is there a safe setting that can be achieved?

Bill,

What about the configuration for a Titan IO-360 with high compression pistons (9.1:1)? Is there a safe setting that can be achieved?

Typically, you want to move the spark closer to TDC when you go with high compression pistons. I would check with with your engine builder to see what their recommended timing is and then customize your P-mags' configuration to match. (Check your data plate, the recommended timing might be on there.)

You can configure the P-mags with either the EICAD program, which you can download from the Emag website or with an EIC. You do not need the EIC to configure your P-mags, but it does make it easier and you can monitor your P-mags with the EIC, which you cannot do with the EICAD program.

Let me know, if you have any other questions.

Typically, you want to move the spark closer to TDC when you go with high compression pistons. I would check with with your engine builder to see what their recommended timing is and then customize your P-mags' configuration to match. (Check your data plate, the recommended timing might be on there.)

You can configure the P-mags with either the EICAD program, which you can download from the Emag website or with an EIC. You do not need the EIC to configure your P-mags, but it does make it easier and you can monitor your P-mags with the EIC, which you cannot do with the EICAD program.

Let me know, if you have any other questions.

Thanks Bill!

And thank you JJ for the thread. I'm going to replace at least one of my Slick Mags with EI. Trying to make a more informed decision on which one.

Glad to hear you like your Emags.

Back