What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A performance in the Colorado mountains

tyconnell

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I apologize if this question is rather loosely defined, but I was hoping to get some feedback on RV-9A folks who regularly fly in the mountains, specifically in Colorado.

We are currently live in Atlanta, but are hoping to get to Colorado in the next few years, and I want to make sure the -9A is up to snuff.

Current thinking for engine / prop is 160HP, 3 blade FP. I've heard that a CS is a much better option for this environment, but would like to avoid the cost / weight / complexity of that if possible.

You do not mention where in Colorado you wish to land/take off. However, you will not have any problems with a 160 HP 9A in pretty much any environment that Colorado has to offer. Of course there is an entire other conversation to be had if you are discussing back country flying. If Cessnas and Cherokees can land/take off in Leadville, CO you can be assured the 9A will do just fine.

180 HP FP RV-6

I am not an experienced mountain flyer, but I have been through Colorado several times in the middle of the summer. Been to Leadville, Gunnison, Durango, etc. The performance of my RV-6 with a 180 hp fixed pitch does real well. I try to fly in the mornings and make sure winds are below 20 knots at 15K. I use oxygen and go high above the ridges...been to 16.5 K and plane has performed well. I suspect a 160 hp 9A would do just as well. I am sure some of the Colorado guys will have more information for you. Going into Denver of Colorado Springs is a piece of cake...even on a hot day. Just have to lean the engine at run up.

There is nothing more awesome than crossing the Continental Divide.

I have flown in several 150 and 160hp 9's in Colorado out of Aspen, Glenwood Springs, and Rifle. No problem even at full gross. When I lived in Aspen, I started my build and was going to put a 180hp in, but I got a good deal on a 160hp so I went that way. All 4 of the planes I flew in had fixed pitch props.

Summer in CO

Took my wife and the 9A to Glenwood, Telluride, Durango, Grand Junction this summer. Fill it with gas and go. You hardly notice anything. It puts any Cessna I ever owned to shame. Fixed pitch Catto and 160 hp roughly. Just fly early in the day... which is good advice for any mountain flying in any plane.

Last year I spent a few days in the Denver area and did many takeoffs and landings at KBJC and KAPA with my newly-christened 140 HP Lancair 235 and fixed pitch "cruise" prop. You must lean to peak RPM prior to takeoff per the procedure. Even so, my takeoff distance was twice what it was in the lowlands but that was no problem since the runways out there are twice as long as well. Density altitude was 8,800' and it took me 4,000' to break ground. Climb performance sucked so take that into consideration. Making that worse, that thin air doesn't cool your engine as well so, in my case, I had to keep my airspeed up on climbout. I think my ROC was about half, as well. On landing you will be going a LOT faster over the ground at your normal landing speed. The centerline stripes were pretty much a blur when touching down. Y'all be careful now, y'heah? :D

See for yourself: Thrill-cam BJC landing video

We have flown into a number of Colorado airports airports like Salida, Bueneva Vista, Alamosa and more. Never a problem with these airports in the morning or getting the altitude needed for flying the mountain passes to get there. We are O-360 (160 hp) with Catto 3-bladed prop.

Back